A Boy's Letter To His Dad

I don't remember where I got it from but I have this little poster in my office that has a guy who has fallen off of a ladder and is hanging off of a three story home with one hand by the rain gutter. With the other hand he has a cell phone and is saying "yes you remember that life insurance policy we were talking about...I would like that to start now"

I have had a lot of comments about it...people think it is funny but it leads to a conversation regarding life insurance.

I have a much shorter and more effective statement:

When a husband/father is reluctant (on the fence) to buy life insurance from me, AND I've built a good rapport/relationship with him, I will tell him this:

"Husbands don't always believe in buying life insurance...
but widows ALWAYS do".

The "I have to talk to my wife" smokescreen never comes up after that.

Knowing the objections makes it easier to close since you include it in your presentation. I would interview the husband and wife regarding their feelings about the need for life insurance and let them hear each others viewpoints. There are plenty of men who could care less what happens after they're dead, let them say it in front of the wife. If their children are old enough to understand, you might want to include them to help melt the old coot.

Knowing the objections makes it easier to close since you include it in your presentation. I would interview the husband and wife regarding their feelings about the need for life insurance and let them hear each others viewpoints. There are plenty of men who could care less what happens after they're dead, let them say it in front of the wife. If their children are old enough to understand, you might want to include them to help melt the old coot.

I do exactly as you point out. I will never do a "one leg" presentation for this very reason.

I once had a guy tell me in front of his wife that he doesn't believe in life insurance because he doesn't want to make the next guy rich. I had to laugh to myself. If you saw his wife (think obese trailer trash), there was no way on earth that guys were lining up waiting for his exit so they could have her and take care of their 4 kids.

I do exactly as you point out. I will never do a "one leg" presentation for this very reason.

I once had a guy tell me in front of his wife that he doesn't believe in life insurance because he doesn't want to make the next guy rich. I had to laugh to myself. If you saw his wife (think obese trailer trash), there was no way on earth that guys were lining up waiting for his exit so they could have her and take care of their 4 kids.

There are a lot of people that can be labeled stupid. As good as I am at comebacks, I would have been speechless but would have had to come up with something to lighten the situation. After all, I doubt if he could afford enough insurance to make them rich.
:cool:

There are a lot of people that can be labeled stupid. As good as I am at comebacks, I would have been speechless but would have had to come up with something to lighten the situation. After all, I doubt if he could afford enough insurance to make them rich.
:cool:

I too can craft witty comebacks, but I usually refrain from such activity in sales situations. The phrase, "Win the battle, but lose the war" certainly applies here.

In this case, a witty comeback would have been uselsss as well as unfair - How do you have a battle of wits with an unarmed man? :D

Latest posts

Back