ACA Deductable Misinformation?

STM plans are not going to be equal to an ACA plan. Then there are the claims issues, pre ex issues and a "review" period that will change STM plans to a 3 month max.

Options...metal gap plans on top of ACA, Fixed Indemnity (but will incur the penalty unless they fall into the 8.3% rule). Switch carriers to get out of the 60% increase. Create a group.

The options are limited at best.

Trying to thread the needle. I'm sure that many are over the 8.3% threshold given rates that we are seeing. MAGI of 100,000 *.083 = $8300. We are well past that.

Their current plan is the lowest premium Off-exchange ACA plan that BCBST had available last year. No other carriers had anything with a lower premium. This particular family has had a recent income decrease but they are both self-employed and income may change. They also max out HSAs, SEPs and IRAs even when they have to sell non-qualified mutual funds to have the available cash. Of course, selling mutual funds increases income which causes taxes and reduces the likelihood of getting a subsidy.

$20,000 in premium doesn't fit in this scenario. I guess that's why I get the big bucks - to figure it out.

junkman,

I am in the same boat with so many of my people.

With the 40%+increases for next year, I expect to have many more people age 50+ exempt from the fine, but that doesn't help them get affordable health coverage.

Cheapest compliant plan for a 63 year old couple in my area right now is roughly $1,000 a month. A 40% increase takes that to $1400 a month, $16,800 a year. For two people.

Last edited:
Back