Aetna Billing Issues

Close, but no cigar Bill3173.

The tobacco load applies if the BMI exceeds 25. Starting in July with the new rating/underwriting system it is still possible to get a smoker at standard rates.

The tobacco load applies if the BMI exceeds 25. Starting in July with the new rating/underwriting system it is still possible to get a smoker at standard rates.

I don't know what's going on then, it can't vary by State. One of my tob clients that we put in just under the wire last year has gotten his renewal, and they popped him 25% for tob. on renewal(this is what I was told when I called), and his bmi is excellent. In fact he got preferred tob on his life insurance.

Are you sure about this s-word?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You scared me there for a minute, I thought that I was missing something.

I'm on the phone with these people constantly and would have known about it.

I just called Aetna and they confirmed that all tobacco clients get at least a 25% rate up but it can go higher based on BMI.

You're full of sh_it.

Last edited:
Aetna will accept silicone boobs (25%) while they are an auto-decline with Blue Shield of California.

For all their problems, in my area Aetna is the best carrier for "questionable' risk.

They also like to do phone interviews instead of a lengthy APS.

We have two terrific Aetna IFP/Medicare reps in Sacramento so that may explain why the company is popular here. I've never written their group so I can't vouch for that but they have a very responsive rep for that as well.

OK Bill3173. You are right . . . for now at least. Maybe . . .

Had a guy last yr that had a BMI of 23 and tobacco use. They issued standard and this was after the June change on tobacco.

Maybe they screwed up. Can't say.

But I do know from my notes about changes coming in July (at least in GA, including Rabun Gap) that tobacco use could be a std rate depending on how the debits add up.

And yes, there can be slight underwriting differences by state. Carriers file their plans, language and underwriting guide with each state.

If you sell Time, you will see CSD (condition specific deductible) as an option but it is not available in GA.

GR will offer higher deductibles for certain conditions for HTN, but not in GA. In GA you cannot buy a policy if you are planning on leaving the country for more than a month in the first 6 months the policy is on the books but that does not apply in FL.

Quirks in plans and underwriting that will vary by state.

When is the new underwriting system that uses debits coming to NC?

OK Bill3173. You are right . . . for now at least. Maybe . . .

Had a guy last yr that had a BMI of 23 and tobacco use. They issued standard and this was after the June change on tobacco.

Maybe they screwed up. Can't say.

But I do know from my notes about changes coming in July (at least in GA, including Rabun Gap) that tobacco use could be a std rate depending on how the debits add up.

And yes, there can be slight underwriting differences by state. Carriers file their plans, language and underwriting guide with each state.

If you sell Time, you will see CSD (condition specific deductible) as an option but it is not available in GA.

GR will offer higher deductibles for certain conditions for HTN, but not in GA. In GA you cannot buy a policy if you are planning on leaving the country for more than a month in the first 6 months the policy is on the books but that does not apply in FL.

Quirks in plans and underwriting that will vary by state.

When is the new underwriting system that uses debits coming to NC?

Well, of course the underwriting standards vary by state, we don't need to compare notes on that issue.

I was referring specifically to the tobacco rating with Aetna. They told me when this was put into effect that it was across state lines.

Now we can discuss state's rights, and how they are currently being threatened. On second thought, no we can't.

Sorry that I told you that you were full of s-word. I think you're full of corn liquor.

Back