• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Aetna Grandfathered Policies

taterpeeler

Guru
5000 Post Club
I don't have any strong contacts at Aetna on the individual health side..... I have seen and heard very little about their plans as it relates to 2014. Can someone help me with these:

1) are their pre 03/23/10 policies grandfathered?

2) are they auto renewing like cigna and ass.?

thank you

Re: Aetna

You are starting a thread with a real name in the title? Not playing games like the "colored" company or the other "A" company?

And you actually used the "C" word in the thread as well.

Living dangerously tater.

You are starting a thread with a real name in the title? Not playing games like the "colored" company or the other "A" company?

And you actually used the "C" word in the thread as well.

Living dangerously tater.

yes.... I felt if I had my name tied to the company that indicated, through back channels, that they were terming all non GF policies they may get upset and I still have bills to pay..... didn't think what cigna or Assurant is doing will hurt them or me

remember... google picks this up and I didn't want a part of that indexing

Somarco, the stunning news is that he spelled Aetna correctly. He's still our leader!

Now that I think about it, I recall that they decided to upgrade all policies back in 2010 to include preventative care, which may mean they don't have any grandfathered policies anymore. I just have a handful on the books that might have qualified for GF anyways. So, it doesn't effect me.

My Aetna contact said they are deliberately waiting to make any decisions so they make the best and most accurate decision. ie...let's see what everyone else does first.

"Richard Kern and his wife, a retired couple in Los Angeles, say they would welcome the flexibility to keep their individual policy from Aetna Inc. for another year amid so much uncertainty over next year's rates."

Tater, I had received an email 3/27/2013 from Aetna about SMALL GROUP PLANS with new renewal options. I don't know about Aetna's IFP plans. Their email said in part:

"By electing a fourth quarter 2013 renewal, some of your clients can achieve significant cost savings in 2014 and take time to assess their business needs for the future, without sacrificing their current coverage today.

Even if your clients have already renewed their policy this year, there is still time to take advantage of the savings - Aetna is extending this offer to all renewing and new business clients. We will work with you to determine the best option that meets your clients' needs."​

This move would lead me to believe that they would want to keep their IFP policies renewing as long as possible, too, but I don't have factual info about that.

A middle management person from a company we're discussing says that the MLR has insurance companies really restricted on what they're able to do...particularly in 2014 when big taxes and fees also kick-in.

For example, administering THREE sets of policy series simultaneously in 2014 may not be possible: 1. Grandfathered Plans + 2. Non-Grandfathered Plans and + 3. New 2014 Major Meds. = Drop One Category, or Leave The Business. (Obama admin is hoping for the latter.)

-ac

A middle management person from a company we're discussing says that the MLR has insurance companies really restricted on what they're able to do...particularly in 2014 when big taxes and fees also kick-in.

For example, administering THREE sets of policy series simultaneously in 2014 may not be possible: 1. Grandfathered Plans + 2. Non-Grandfathered Plans and + 3. New 2014 Major Meds. = Drop One Category, or Leave The Business. (Obama admin is hoping for the latter.)

-ac

Oooooh, sounds like Euthanasia for dear old Grandfather!

Back