Afflac - Pros and Cons

Just letting you know, you're going to hear mostly bad here.

I'm not sure why. I mean Aflac is a GREAT product.
I am going to be selling Aflac within the next few weeks.

Study your product. Believe in your product. Do your best to help everyone, and the rewards will come.

We'll see what you say about them in about 3 months..

Last edited:
I believe you also have to buy software? Am I correct?

For us, the software came preloaded. They also incentivize the agents; write a certain production amount and get the computer at a discounted rate AND on this path you are allowed to have it deducted from your commissions. Which is a pretty sweet deal for those interested. But the software, from what I remember, was pretty heavy (took up alot of memory) so the computer was sooo slow for anything other than the software. It was strictly a work laptop. I never bought one, I borrowed my upline for my appointments.

Oh good ol' AFLAC days. The first appointment I made turned out to be such a blessing. I saw a guy that I recognized from a cell phone store I used to work for doing b2b cell sales. So, I approached him and chetted him up. I said you're a business owner right? He ended up owning four McDonalds, but already used AFLAC. He referred me to another Micky Dee's owner that had 2 locations. So I immediatly left there and drove over to the other guy, who happened to be in his own store that day. I named dropped and set an appointment to write his employees. Best part was, we recommended that "instead of us trying to track down all of your staff, or you holding a meeting specifically for us, ... how do you pass out paychecks? Oh between 2 and 4 on Monday? Great. We'll set up then." The Owner suggested that he make it mandatory that the staff talk to us to get their check that day. I wrote 94 apps between the two stores. Had to go back two weeks later for the other store to get that number, but still. . :goofy:

That's the warning flag - anytime you have to pay for a job, in any respect. Agents should pay appointment fees and not a dime more. Aflac should provide the software at no cost and it's very telling that they don't.

Times to leave a job interview:

1) When you're not being interviewed. Instead, it's a pitch about the company and how much you'll make.

2) The "manager" is 24.

3) It's group. If you end up in a conference room with other applicants, just say you have to go to the bathroom, then climb out the window.

4) When you're asked to pay a single nickle.

man, I wish I'd heard that one before! hahaha So true. However, one good thing that came of of my (very) short stint with American Income (which is a checkmark on all four points) is that I realized that I really did want to do insurance. And I made enough in the few months with them to cover the expenses, so it wasn't so bad. I'm just glad I realized right away that there are better, easier ways to make money. If not as much, I sleep better at night! :)

For us, the software came preloaded. They also incentivize the agents; write a certain production amount and get the computer at a discounted rate AND on this path you are allowed to have it deducted from your commissions. Which is a pretty sweet deal for those interested. But the software, from what I remember, was pretty heavy (took up alot of memory) so the computer was sooo slow for anything other than the software. It was strictly a work laptop. I never bought one, I borrowed my upline for my appointments.

Oh good ol' AFLAC days. The first appointment I made turned out to be such a blessing. I saw a guy that I recognized from a cell phone store I used to work for doing b2b cell sales. So, I approached him and chetted him up. I said you're a business owner right? He ended up owning four McDonalds, but already used AFLAC. He referred me to another Micky Dee's owner that had 2 locations. So I immediatly left there and drove over to the other guy, who happened to be in his own store that day. I named dropped and set an appointment to write his employees. Best part was, we recommended that "instead of us trying to track down all of your staff, or you holding a meeting specifically for us, ... how do you pass out paychecks? Oh between 2 and 4 on Monday? Great. We'll set up then." The Owner suggested that he make it mandatory that the staff talk to us to get their check that day. I wrote 94 apps between the two stores. Had to go back two weeks later for the other store to get that number, but still. . :goofy:

The problem I have with having to purchase a computer from Aflac for thier software....I deal with many carrier. They all provide the software for free that I can load on any computer I wish to use. I have multiple carriers now that use the same software and can intrigrate with a signature pad. Also I know of a bunch of agents now using Ipads to close and write thier FE business. I'm in business for myself. I like the ability to choose what works best for me.

Having said the above I know and actually do some business with AFLAC agents where my products are a fit for holes in areas they can't sell in...So some agents do make money there and I would bet those agents would make money anywhere they prospect and thats the number 1 skill in this business.

I love AFLAC! They are the reason that I am in the insurance business. I was a stupid kid (21) when I got recruited in. After getting licensed and doing some serious prospecting, I found that AFLAC is AFLAC's biggest competition. The market is saturated, agents walking into other agents accounts and just simply pissing off the business owners.

I opened 17 groups in 90 days though. One enrollment I made $7000 in commission in one day. I thought the insurance business was the business for me after that day!

Then, I didn't make any money for 60 days....

the rest is history--now I do individual life over the phone...great intro to the business because if you can prospect for AFLAC, you can prospect for anything!

This x 1,000. Great way to learn about how to prospect for business, but don't plan on staying long-term.

Ditto to the comments about over-saturation already made. Chances are pretty good that some business owners will tell you you're the third AFLAC agent to come in that week.

Also consider the fact that, if a business has a group health plan, they're more likely to call their agent (with whom they already have a relationship) and talk to them about it.

But ya never know, I guess. Before you commit to it as a career, walk into 100 businesses and then decide. You don't have to do this full time up front. Test drive a car before ya buy it.

I don't understand this whole over saturation thing. Aren't most markets "over saturated", considering there are thousands of agents across the united states?

That's like saying there are too many fast food burger chains in the area. That may be, but some of those burger places are going to be very successful because they market better than the one right next to them.

I also asked my DM in the interview about the saturation rate in my area, and his response was "penetration rate is 7%"...

Last edited:
I don't understand this whole over saturation thing. Aren't most markets "over saturated", considering there are thousands of agents across the united states?

That's like saying there are too many fast food burger chains in the area. That may be, but some of those burger places are going to be very successful because they market better than the one right next to them.

I also asked my DM in the interview about the saturation rate in my area, and his response was "penetration rate is 7%"...

Most individuals have never been approached by an insurance agent outside of the work place. However, a busy business owner who has talked to three other AFLAC agents in the last 6 months isn't inclined to want to speak to you and may rather rudely tell you to get lost. What is there not to understand about being bugged too often?

Latest posts

Back