• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Any Chance To Succeed As A Part-time Agent?

I knew of a guy who refused to give up his full time career for this industry. I never knew him to be a very successful producer.

I know agents who work anywhere from 10 to 50 hrs. a week, most are successful, I think it will depend on your mindset, and the products that you are trying to market.

for someone with a can-do mindset but wants to conduct operations on a smaller scale to test things out , what products are likely to be good matches?

TIA

I think if you focused to one line and did only real time internet leads and turned them off during daytime you MIGHT be ok part time if you really really learned that line. Like if you did health leads but turned them off during day, and only worked say 5-8pm each day.

You'd get a high volume of low contacted leads, so if you knew your lines of business really well you should produce a 5% closing rate off 5-8 dollar leads. You'd have a positive ROI if you didn't really suck at selling.

However, having said that, if you didn't suck at selling there would be no reason to not do it full time, because if you produce at a decent rate you'd make 2000 a week average in first year commission.

Yes of course you can. Keep your expenses to little or nothing. Start out working your warm leads. Add the free or little cost prospecting methods. Walk and talk all the time. Only buy leads after you are established, know your products and do A LOT of research on the source.

So if you have little to no expenses and a full time job to live on why couldn't you work part time and have some extra income?

And yes there a plenty of agencies that will take you on part time. Just ask. You can do it here if you post your location. Your commission percentage will start out low, probably around 50-60 percentage.

so the rich are selling insurance? all lines? Hmmm

Nah, just life and health, and the only thing I ever saw from him was some term business--maybe one DI case, can't quite remember.

I think he's a "partner" in some consulting like gig. As I remember it, he sold insurance on the weekends. A friend of his attempted to convince me that he was a big producer and placed more business on the weekends than most agents do working a full week. If that's true, that business was going somewhere else.

What about starting as a part-time agent and then moving to full time once money starts to come in. I currently have a part time job that make me about $1000/month. Not a lot, but it's better than not having any money coming in. I'm thinking of starting out independent, but it's probably going to take some time before I start to see some return on my new career?

Yes of course you can. Keep your expenses to little or nothing. Start out working your warm leads. Add the free or little cost prospecting methods. Walk and talk all the time. Only buy leads after you are established, know your products and do A LOT of research on the source.

So if you have little to no expenses and a full time job to live on why couldn't you work part time and have some extra income?

And yes there a plenty of agencies that will take you on part time. Just ask. You can do it here if you post your location. Your commission percentage will start out low, probably around 50-60 percentage.

Mustfastpirch:
Any recommendations on how to find an agency in my area (Overland Park, KS) where I could get on with them commission-only to begin a career in the insurance business?

I am a "mature" professional wanting to make the transition and am willing to get my licenses on my own, work smart, and work hard to be successful, or find out I'm not cut out for a career in insurance.

My goal is to learn how to sell, propspect, and provide the best service with the eventual goal of being an independent agent with my own book of business.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Back