Anyone else from Seattle WA Area?

Mishka

I am just getting started in the insurance field, would love to hear how others are doing in the Seattle area or WA state. Any reccomendations on best companies to talk to? Right now I am licensed for life and disability and considering selling supplemental. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:
I'm a bit north of Seattle. Are you just starting out? Have you sold any insurance before? Are you planning to go independent or become a captive agent?

Never sold insurance before (been in Real Estate for Many years though, so not new to sales). I am affiliated with the duck, and let's just say it is not what I expected. (I have read enough posts to hear the collective Duh!!) I am thinking I should have done more research before going there and so I am doing the research now! Found this site and it looked like a good place to start. They say I can sell other products that are not offered by the duck - but does that mean I am captive? It also sounds like I shouldn't try to go independent til I get some experience? Like I said, I am very new to insurance world and looking for some guidance!

I would say since you're new to insurance, consider going captive with a solid life company. I started with NYL and even though I left a decade ago, I would strongly reccommend you talk to their office (Bellevue). They have had stable local management for the last decade (unfortunately, I was on my way out, too late for me, an old dog) and it would be a good place for a newby.

Also check with Naifa groups for other places. AFLAC is not regarded as anything more than a churn and burn place that you won't be working at in 6 months. Find a place where you can get a good solid insurance education to solidify your career. If you really want to make this work, find a career agency where you can learn while you earn.

Then decide after 5-10 years if that's for you as a career agent or go independent. At least at that point you'll be knowledgable enough to make it either way.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately, the last year and a half have been brutal on my finances( way too many months with no income) and I am probably looking at a BK. I know some of the bigger companies won't/can't hire someone with financial problems - is that the case with NYL? I don't want to completely walk away from Real Estate, but I need to do some serious rebuilding! I might be a newbie to insurance, but I am not so young anymore. In another 12-15 years I was supposed to be retiring - or at least only working because I love what I am doing!! Any ideas? Knowing this do you still think NYL is an option? I appreciate any guidance you can give me!

I'm not sure on the BK issues, you'd have to ask them. This is a togh business to be in if finances are really tight. It's usually about 90-120 days from writing an app to getting paid for it. Also here in this region, you pretty much have to be all in to make it work.

Good luck, give that NYL office a call and talk with the GM. It won't cost you anything but a few minutes and he can give you the current scoop.

I will definitely give them a call - thanks. You said you have to be all in to succeed here - is it that competitive here or did you mean something else?

Yes, it's competitive but it is also a matter of commitment. This is a business where it is very easy to find something else to do that "feels" productive rather than is productive.

Competition comes from other agents, the net and people who freely offer advice. But there is also competition for insurance dollars from vacations, new sofa's and toys.

Most of us in this business could never unstand why someone wouldn't have insurance, yet the number of people with little to no life insurance is staggering. So in a way you're in competition against the client's side that doesn't want to be responsible for anything or anyone.

This isn't as easy a business as some believe. It's the best/worst business in the world. It just depends on what time/day it is. If you're gonna come into this business, know that and be able to deal with that.

Back