Applying for Life Insurance W/ 14 Yr Old Felonies

I think the Agent/buddy do not know.

So your agent "knows" and also knows your boss?

It shouldn't a be a problem with anyone due to how long ago, but as others have said read the app. Things also change DUI's used to be a kiss of decline, now after about 7 years with no further problems, not a problem.

The one thing I'd do especially since this agent "knows" is have him contact underwriting with the question and get an answer before you turn in the app. Basically "how would this situation be underwritten?" Then if the underwriter shoots it down, no record of it and no anger on the part of the agent.

I would think before dumping the agent and going elsewhere. Why give the guy a reason to blab out of anger? It's one thing if an underwriter says no, it's something completely different if you do.

While we're suppose to keep confidence, not everybody does. Good luck and I think you'll be OK.

(f) Been convicted of or are awaiting trail for any crime other then a misdemeanor, including currently being on parole or probation.

It would be a "yes" on question (f) if you've been convicted. If you plead "no contest or guilty" then it would be a "no." The question didn't state how many years ago, it just ask if you've ever been convicted.

Here's what my application states:
"Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to a felony or been charged with a violation of any crimminal law that is still pending."

If you don't have that trust between you and your agent of confidentiality then I would look elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't even disclose this kind of information to my wife if we mutually know the client.

He posted:
""During the past 5 years have you:.......
(f) Been convicted of or are awaiting trail for any crime other then a misdemeanor, including currently being on parole or probation.""

He is past the 5 years.

It would be a "yes" on question (f) if you've been convicted. If you plead "no contest or guilty" then it would be a "no." The question didn't state how many years ago, it just ask if you've ever been convicted.

Here's what my application states:
"Have you ever been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to a felony or been charged with a violation of any crimminal law that is still pending."

If you don't have that trust between you and your agent of confidentiality then I would look elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't even disclose this kind of information to my wife if we mutually know the client.

Im in Florida. I dont know the agent good enough to be willing to bet my future on it. At least if I had an agent that didnt talk to my boss on a weekly basis I would be more willing to talk to him/her openly.

I really dont want to give up on the whole Life Insurance thing so any recomendations are welcome.

Thanks again guys.

There are several Agents here from Florida. Read some of their post. One thing about using one of them. They can not hide from you.

Or get a recommendation from someone you trust. However, puts you back into the what if they talk.

I have never done a mortgage or bought a house from anyone that is in my circle of friends. Things change. Your BFF today can be your enemy tomorrow. Sad but true.

Im in Florida. I dont know the agent good enough to be willing to bet my future on it. At least if I had an agent that didnt talk to my boss on a weekly basis I would be more willing to talk to him/her openly.

I really dont want to give up on the whole Life Insurance thing so any recomendations are welcome.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks again guys.

We're licensed in Florida if you want some help. You may also want to consider reviewing the amount of coverage you need, but you also have to be comfortable with what you are paying for it.

david at terminsurancebrokers.com

Replace the "at" with the @ symbol.

Careful how you word these things; you'll get some of us a tad excited :D

This is a tough one, and based on the situation it's tough to be confident in the agent's keeping this confidential. Recourse if he didn't may not be all that useful.

But I'm curious...

Do you truly fear your job is in jeopardy if your felony becomes public with your boss? Felonies remain on your criminal record, and I would have assumed there's a good chance your company would have checked it before hiring you.

I had an insurance company discover a 15 year old DUI on an MVR once, and the underwriter told my secretary about it. :no:

I checked the applications of five carriers here in Florida. One asked about felonies within the last five years, all the others asked if you "ever" had a felony conviction.

However, a couple that asked "ever" will give you the best class as long as you have been off probation for at least seven years. I noticed you said a "couple felonies". Multiple felonies may make a difference in the offer.

The information you provide on an application is protected under HIPAA. But, that doesn't guarantee that some info will not be divulged.

Your best assurance of privacy is to go with an agent with no familiar connections and with a company that only asks back five years.

Back