Are You Selling at 0% Commission?

It seems that some agents are in serious denial about 0%..it must be the same guys that took the girl seriously when she said that she was "washing her hair" and couldn't go out that night.

What are you trying to say? That she wasn't washing her hair???

I am sure at least a part of this is ins companies looking to see If the can sell plans and not have to pay commision, If it is successful who know's maybe more in the future, maybe it is the way of the future in their minds

If someone calls and needs an Indy policy during SEP I tell them I only represent 2 local carriers (that are currently still paying SEP comp for now). If they want Humana, Aetna or United they need to go to healthcare.gov.

I may be crazy/naive :goofy:, but I help them out even if there is no commission to be had. They'll be back next year when the plans and premiums change, will be more likely to send referrals, and it opens the door for cross-selling. Main idea is to have them come to me first when they think "Insurance" :idea:

In Connecticut only UHC is not commissionable and they are never the best option. However, we have the option of signing clients up for Medicaid which pays a $0 commission.

I will frequently help people that qualify for Medicaid but depends:
  • Are they a client (current or former)?
  • Were they referred?
  • Are they likely to qualify for a commissionable product in the foreseeable future?
  • Am I in a good mood?
  • Are we in an OEP or AEP?
  • Do I like the person?
You forgot to add:

* Are THEY in a good mood. I have had the case where they make political complaints and carry on about the current political landscape... which I can do nothing about.

I may be crazy/naive :goofy:, but I help them out even if there is no commission to be had. They'll be back next year when the plans and premiums change, will be more likely to send referrals, and it opens the door for cross-selling. Main idea is to have them come to me first when they think "Insurance" :idea:

Crazy is the right word. :wacko:

Only a person who hasn’t been in this from the beginning would think that way.
1. Take a an April 1 SEP
2. Application doesn’t reach the carrier
3. Wasted hours on the phone with the carrier and the Marketplace
4. Did they owe documents? Canceled when they did not turn them in? More hours dealing with them trying to fix it.
5. When the surprise bill comes in they will try to make it your problem.
6. Lost vacation. Lost peace of mind. Lost ME time.

These things take hours days and months to fix. You will be the only accountable working like a dog. The Marketplace nor the carrier cares as long as they are getting paid and they have a few people who are crazy enough to sacrifice themselves for 0%. This is why many are only doing SEP business IF compensation is available. If you’ve been paying attention you would know future compensation is not guaranteed. So if you would like to work months for 0% to gain a possible future 0% makes no sense but it’s your choice. :confused:

Would it, perhaps, work a tad better for you if you sold something *that paid,* and next year during an annual review, you are top of mind, receive referrals, etc.?

ie, why make a 0% comp product the door opener to the relationship and referral stream?

----------

Would it, perhaps, work a tad better for you if you sold something *that paid,* and next year during an annual review, you are top of mind, receive referrals, etc.?

ie, why make a 0% comp product the door opener to the relationship and referral stream?

If I'm going to talk to x number of people this week... I want to talk to them exclusively about products that pay.

Here is some food for thought:

Carriers are still paying commissions (fees) to the FFM for plans sold/enrolled outside of OE buy Navigators at the Marketplace.

Outside of the slimey health agent falsifying enrollments outside of OE it's in fact the Navigators that have created this issue outside of OE with 0% commissions for any SEP's.

So, as many here have encountered Nav's at the MP don't care about the rules. They are simply robots in place to ensure that as many people as possible get enrolled in coverage...at the expense to those who were doing it legit.

The guberment is still get it's 3.5% on each months premium regardless for the remainder of the year.

A note from a carrier contact:

"The GI ACA space commissions have been dropping, are expected to continue to drop with all carriers into the future, etc."

Didn't realize there was a lower number than Zero!

I am going to sell the individual plan at 0% and eat all the crap that goes along with servicing it, if I can get the disability policy with the $3000 commission. Did that with an SEP last fall (with a carrier that is not going to pay this year). They needed individual insurance because COBRA ran out, during the conversation brought up other lines. But this was an existing agency client (for professional liability insurance) with a higher income.

Jane Doe who calls and says she got my number off the healthcare.gov website for local help, gets quick 5-minute advice and gets told to call the marketplace.

I like Alston's guidelines a lot. The more I think about it, the more it is going to be really dependent on who it is that is calling me for health insurance.

Back