Arlington National Cemetery Burial

ZenSamurai

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
New York
I have a guy who was originally interested in starting a final expense policy and then he found out that since he received a purple heart he was eligible to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. My question is, do they cover everything? Also does anybody have any ideas on dealing with this case? Since he's 70 I would ask him about medicare but I believe he would be eligible for tricare as well, am I correct?

I have a guy who was originally interested in starting a final expense policy and then he found out that since he received a purple heart he was eligible to be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. My question is, do they cover everything? Also does anybody have any ideas on dealing with this case? Since he's 70 I would ask him about medicare but I believe he would be eligible for tricare as well, am I correct?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can educate yourself and client by clicking on the below link:

Arlington National Cemetery > Funeral Information > Scheduling a Funeral > Establishing Eligibility > Costs

There are still significant costs incurred by the estate/beneficiaries when being interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

Arlington and any other Veterans cemetery covers his cemetery costs not his funeral costs.

As Agentguy always says: a sale was made on that appointment. He sold you.

A purple heart does not entitle him to Tri-Care. Tri-Care is for retired military.. As a vet, he is entitled to treatment at VA clinics and hospitals.

A purple heart does not entitle him to Tri-Care. Tri-Care is for retired military.. As a vet, he is entitled to treatment at VA clinics and hospitals.
--------------------------------------

rousemark is exactly right. For this 70 year old gentleman to be eligible for Tricare For Life, he would have to be a retired service member (20 years of service) and maintain Medicare Part B coverage. But, health care coverage has nothing to do with burial costs.

I would thank him for his service and acknowledge the fact he received a Purple Heart, but let him know he still needs final expense coverage to cover the costs of being buried in ANC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can educate yourself and client by clicking on the below link:

Arlington National Cemetery > Funeral Information > Scheduling a Funeral > Establishing Eligibility > Costs

There are still significant costs incurred by the estate/beneficiaries when being interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

I know I'm missing something. I read the costs and it looks like they pay for everything unless opting to get a private headstone or vault.

I know I'm missing something. I read the costs and it looks like they pay for everything unless opting to get a private headstone or vault.

Don't know if you scrolled to the bottom of the page.

"All costs associated with preparation of the remains, casket or urn, and shipping of the remains to the Washington, D.C. area are at the expense of the estate, unless the deceased was on active duty with a branch of the Armed Forces."

You are missing:
Casket $1,000 to $5,000+
Embalming and other prep. $600 to $1,200
Use of Funeral Home and staff for visitation and funeral service $800 to $1,400
Funeral home overhead (non declinable charge) $1,200 to $4,000
Transportation to Arlington
Storage of the body while waiting (Last Arlington burial at a funeral home I work with had a 6 week wait after the funeral before they would allow the shipping of the body.) That was in 2014.

They need a little insurance.

Plus here's a fact: Vets use the Arlington burial as a stall for insurance men just like people say "You can just throw me in a burlap sack." Hardly any of them who say they are going to buried there actually get buried there. It's a lot of trouble if you don't live near there. There are other veteran cemeteries all over the country that give them the same burial benefits. Most Veteran Cemeteries are very well maintained and beautiful.

Back