Arlington National Cemetery Burial

You are missing:
Casket $1,000 to $5,000+
Embalming and other prep. $600 to $1,200
Use of Funeral Home and staff for visitation and funeral service $800 to $1,400
Funeral home overhead (non declinable charge) $1,200 to $4,000
Transportation to Arlington
Storage of the body while waiting (Last Arlington burial at a funeral home I work with had a 6 week wait after the funeral before they would allow the shipping of the body.) That was in 2014.

They need a little insurance.

Plus here's a fact: Vets use the Arlington burial as a stall for insurance men just like people say "You can just throw me in a burlap sack." Hardly any of them who say they are going to buried there actually get buried there. It's a lot of trouble if you don't live near there. There are other veteran cemeteries all over the country that give them the same burial benefits. Most Veteran Cemeteries are very well maintained and beautiful.

Yep. I'm going to be working near the one in Hopkinsville, Ky tomorrow. Just up the road from Fort Campbell.

Beautiful cemetery. Nice place to visit. Wouldn't want to live there.:laugh:

I know I'm missing something. I read the costs and it looks like they pay for everything unless opting to get a private headstone or vault.

They do not pay for the casket, embalming, other services provided by the funeral home or for transportation from the place of death to Arlington. Basically, all they pay for is the grave spot, the military headstone and the grave liner. Depending on place of death, transportation alone could run several thousand dollars.

You are missing:
Casket $1,000 to $5,000+
Storage of the body while waiting (Last Arlington burial at a funeral home I work with had a 6 week wait after the funeral before they would allow the shipping of the body.) That was in 2014.

Plus here's a fact: Vets use the Arlington burial as a stall for insurance men just like people say "You can just throw me in a burlap sack." Hardly any of them who say they are going to buried there actually get buried there. It's a lot of trouble if you don't live near there. There are other veteran cemeteries all over the country that give them the same burial benefits. Most Veteran Cemeteries are very well maintained and beautiful.

He said I can contact him on Wednesday because he needed to check up on if there were any extra costs since I wasn't sure what exactly were the extra costs so when I call him up I'm going to thank him for his service and then go into this. I'm also going to ask if he asked about the waiting list to be buried there. I think that'll help me out.

And yes Gollini, I read that part again and wanted to put my foot in my mouth haha

You are missing:
Casket $1,000 to $5,000+

I conducted a funeral for a vet at the Chattanooga Military Cemetery a few years ago. I saw his widow yesterday. She just had her 90th birthday and was concerned with having everything on place for her death. She told me that the burial arrangements are for her to be buried in the same grave on top of her husband.

I conducted a funeral for a vet at the Chattanooga Military Cemetery a few years ago. I saw his widow yesterday. She just had her 90th birthday and was concerned with having everything on place for her death. She told me that the burial arrangements are for her to be buried in the same grave on top of her husband.

That's what all military cemeteries do. Bury the first spouse to die deeper and the 2nd spouse goes on top of them. That way they don't waste any grave spaces.

You can't select spaces in advance. They dig long rows all at once and the next to die goes in the next one (unless they have a spouse already in the cemetery.

Very efficient and no waste.

when my dad died i was at sea and he was dead and buried by the time
the red cross caught up with me. he was buried at quantico mil cemetary.
when i got ashore i called my stepmom to discuss me and the family flying
back to the states. she asked that i not do that, just send her the amount of
money i would spend on the trip. she needed it to help pay for everything connected with the funeral. my dad of course didn't believe in life insurance.
so no, the military doesnt pay for a lot of things.

when my dad died i was at sea and he was dead and buried by the time
the red cross caught up with me. he was buried at quantico mil cemetary.
when i got ashore i called my stepmom to discuss me and the family flying
back to the states. she asked that i not do that, just send her the amount of
money i would spend on the trip. she needed it to help pay for everything connected with the funeral. my dad of course didn't believe in life insurance.
so no, the military doesnt pay for a lot of things.

There is your story. Covers waiting to long and VA Benefits.

Note: if anyone ever has a deployed service member and need to get a message to them or get them home the Red Cross and and Chaplin's office can move mountains.

There is your story. Covers waiting to long and VA Benefits.

Note: if anyone ever has a deployed service member and need to get a message to them or get them home the Red Cross and and Chaplin's office can move mountains.

Did for me when my grandfather that raised me died.

Back