At the tone . . .

This is a good thread for anyone doing a lot of telephone calling to read. Two different experts that I have read or listened to on this subject say different things with good justification. One says don't leave messages and the other says leave them. There are actually two schools of thought and perhaps either is best depending upon your market and technique. If you are interested in leaving messages I would recommend reading "Secrets of Question Based Selling" he advocates some different techniques. Anyone else ever read this book? What did you think?

QBS is perhaps my favorite sales book. I have tried to incorporate a lot of what he teaches into my routine, but the voice mail question is one that still challenges me. I am still grappling with how to phrase a question that will invite the prospect to return the call.

What do you use?

Let me ask you something - when you have no interest in something what kind of message could someone leave on your machine to get you to return the call?

...onto the next lead

QBS is perhaps my favorite sales book. I have tried to incorporate a lot of what he teaches into my routine, but the voice mail question is one that still challenges me. I am still grappling with how to phrase a question that will invite the prospect to return the call. What do you use?

Currently I am of the school that doesn't leave messages unless it is someone I already have an existing relationship with or have had a conversation with. However, I have only read QSB in the last month and it is making me think. QSB is a great book but I think the biggest problem that I have with his messaging technique is that while he is not technically being deceptive it kind of feels that way to me do you know what I mean?

...when they don't want you calling in the first place they definitely aren't going to return your call.

This comes from the myth that people requesting quotes are interested in getting insurance. No...they're not.

I go back & forth on the issue.

Right now I don't leave a message on the first call, sometimes on the second.

What I find is:

1) Most folks have caller ID

2) Most folks don't listen to voice mail, they just hit redial.

Don't you just love it when the phone rings and someone at the other end of the line (who fails to identify themselves) says "Did you just call me?"

My response is, "I don't know, who is this?"

Waste of time if you are using Shared Internet Leads, I agree with John, Move--On, The next book most of you should read is High Probablity Selling, and you will quit wasting your time, and quite struggling, with the leave a message or dont leave a message.

No mesg left here!! hell, i dont even listen to the entire mesgs left by clients... when i hear it's a client i just call them without listening most times... so i sure as heck aint listening to some ding dong salesman who is number 7 in the line

Latest posts

Back