ATT Cancels Retiree Health Plan

Just got off the phone with a future client that said they offered them only one plan, which was Plan G with Cigna at $170+ per month. I ran the quotes and they're $128 with Cigna, and they're not even the best choice.

If I had the time (I easily have the resources) I would blast them and their scam all over the internet 10 times over. Next company that does this we'll be ready.

You are absolutely right. The front line call center reps are lying to the seniors, constantly, telling them that they MUST buy through them. Luckily, this proves my point to them even more - that they should not do business with an organization that employs these arm-twisting tactics. It is easily refuted in both the FAQ in black and white, and by demanding to speak to a floor manager in the call center. Once your senior has confirmed this, they'll NOT want to do business with them.

Chris, have you had any experience with the Alcoa retirees? Do they have to go through the call center to get their credit?

It appears Aon has contracted with Carriers that will pay the for GI business.... Note a lot of medigap carriers only pay around $25 one time commission for gi business. Like Chris, my agency is having a lot of success assisting these retirees. I advise all AT&T retirees to use a broker that has all of the medigap options.

It appears Aon has contracted with Carriers that will pay the for GI business...

Bingo.. That is absolutely correct. While I understand they don't work for free, they are representing themselves as truly independent, unbiased, and not commission driven in any way.

----------

Their price seems to be the same if not better here in FL

I've written in applications with them in, I think, 12 states so far on this AT&T business.

Thank goodness I'm not limited to Florida anymore! E-Apps are awesome.. within an hour I can have written two applications, without error, in different parts of the country. That is efficiency that is required in order to help the most folks in a finite period of time.

From Chicago on Monday of this week... from anywhere TO anywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mirrors my experience. I've provided hours of education to 9-10 of them, nice guy I am. The problem is, as others have mentioned, the AON reps are so clueless, that the ATT retirees don't know what to believe... the incorrect information from AON (surely their former employer and a "big" company like AON couldn't be incorrect, right?) or the correct information from us.

I understand their need to be informed and understand the plans, but at some point, they have to choose a path (AON or independent agent) and trust somebody.

So far I see ATT retirees as a waste of time. They are so mixed up and no matter how well I explain it, they want to enroll on the exchange. That means they are using me as education.

I'm done with them, 3/3, all afraid of doing wrong even when I show them they can do as little as the pdp in the material from the exchange.

Mirrors my experience. I've provided hours of education to 9-10 of them, nice guy I am. The problem is, as others have mentioned, the AON reps are so clueless, that the ATT retirees don't know what to believe...

Once you've solved the trust/believability factor, your business becomes a whole lot more lucrative.

Scott, I talked with an Alcoa retiree a few weeks ago. Don't have my notes in front of me but I believe Alcoa contracted with Towers Watson and are using oneexchange dot com

The first rep she talked to said she was calling on behalf of R-Cola.

Again, going from memory, they get a $750 allowance for buying through T-W. I am reasonably sure they can just buy the PDP and still get the HRA $$$

----------

Found the R-Cola T-W Medicare quote site

https://medicare.oneexchange.com/

I am the spouse of an ATT Retiree and want to begin by telling all of you how much I appreciate your forum. I have read every post and have learned SO much. THANK YOU! I even understand the ones that are ready to write us off. After all you are business people and need to make a living. If all retirees are like us, we are scared, confused and just plain mad. I understand what everyone says that we can purchase one from AON and other coverage from someone else. I have two questions:
1. I am in the 74801 area and am looking for an local agent that might help.
2. This is part statement and part question. I have not seen anyone address this. In our literature it states:
"Your household's potential eligibility for a 2015 HRA is an amount up to $4,200 provided all of your household members who are eligible actually enroll in medical and/or prescription drug coverage through the Exchange.

The maximum HRA crediting amount is the sum of $2,700 for the AT&T Medicare-eligible retiree and $1,500 for each Medicare-eligible dependent who is eligible for the Exchange.

The specific HRA plan terms will govern your HRA eligibility, calculation and reimbursement and will be provided in a Summary Plan Description (SPD) later this year." (Note: Have not received)

Am I the only one that sees a lot of gray area here and possible loop-holes?

I called ATT Benefits (just because I wanted to see for myself) and sure enough they will not answer ANY questions about our 2015 benefits even though THEY are the ones giving AON the money for our HRA.

How do we know which plan to choose if we don't know how much money we are getting??

Thanks for listening and thanks for being here.

Back