• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Becoming a State Farm Agent

Definitely as an AFS. You have much more of an inside track that way. Most AFS's only take those positions in an effort to become agents and it gives you great exposure to the agency side of things. It's a decent job as well, unless you have a really bad AFE.

Thanks for the advise. I applied for a Cat Rep down in Florida, but once I heard of all the SF and Florida miss haps, I decided to stear clear ( Pun intended). I also have a close friend who advised me to not take it based on the riggors of having to work daily with people who just lost their entire nest egg. The pay is top notch however.

He adivsed me to stay away from the agency side all together. Right now I enjoy selling and I enjoy working with people, but i'm in a B2B position now. A cold call his taken a little more lightly when it is between 9-5 and not while familys are watching tv in the evening. I was good at the P&C sales for the agent when motivated but after missing 2 pay periods of goals in a row, I starved, evicted, divorced, and went into a deep depression..... I had to move on. From what I have read so far on this forum, I just saw the tip of the iceberg when it comes to becoming an agent for SF.

I am the type who would rather be a VP of Operations, State Farm Corporation...... than CEO, Browns09, SF Agency when I'm 50. I guess in my eyes the rep position seems harder to utilize my skills to move through the ranks. I am a people person and think that being an agent would open eyes. But if it is strictly a numbers game, I may be taking a bigger risk if I flop. Could an AFS move to a AFE/AFC? or is becoming an agent a requirement?

Could you share your thoughts on how you feel about an AFS in your area? Do you enjoy their presence and help, or is he/she taken with a grain of salt?

Thanks.

As I read Over some of the posts, some of them went unanswered, so I have two questions.

1. As an AI/emergency intern. You receive some type of book..

A)This could be any type of book; failed new market tica/unexpected opportunity (not traditional opportunity) correct?

B) I saw a post back of a tica that failed and I think it was SFTICA that said I feel sorry for the emergency intern that takes his $1million book with no PBP. I was told in my seminar that every opportunity that was not NEW market was able to get PBP for 2 years. Hypothetically does'nt an AI get PBP as well?

2. I saw a post where someone asked a question that seemed logical.

How DO you maximize the scorecard bonus?
How do you reach top 100?
How do you distinguish between Travel level 1 and level 2?

Thanks all,

*EDIT* answer 1B. I read up on the compensation section in the book we were given in the seminar. I see that the assigned premium compensation from p&c offsets any PBP you might receive from personally assigned production. In either case what difference does it make not having PBP if the assigned premium is making that money for you regardless. Should I be seeing it this way or be looking at it in another perspective?

Last edited:
That brings up a point, how does it work if you open up your office halfway into the year. Is it based on:

Example A) if you started halfway into the year, based on six months numbers if you "WOULD" have traveled if they double your numbers or it looks like your numbers would have been solid enough to travel would be sufficient

Example B) you started halfway into the year, you better hope and pray you can travel in six months. and then be en route to travel the following year within the first six months numbers?

I'm posting for an additional intern position that just opened up. My question is when it comes to what they will pay during this time.

I currently work for myself consulting on IT projects for small businesses. What documentation would SF need me to show to prove my income? I've been doing this for less then a year and my monthly income varies depending on the projects I'm working on.

I'm a State Farm Insurance Agent in Austin TX. Becoming an Agent with State Farm is a great opportunity, regardless. You have to like sales and/or be a good salesperson.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What city in tx are you in?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You're welcome to contact me if you'd like to ask me about the State Farm Insurance Agent opportunity: http://www.bridgettehearne.com

Last edited:
Good salespeople make great staff members, but great managers make great agents. (Instead of manager you could substitute in "leader" or "dictator", etc.) You need to be good at MANAGING good sales people.

Best post I have seen on here. When I worked as a "team member" for an agent, I was learning from a Great Salesman. The agent could sell ice cubes to eskimos. When it came to running the agency however, it was obvious we were lost. DAFO would always make comments to him about learning how to management a staff, and really take contol of the business admin., but he was too focused on life apps.

I would guess that 80% of TICAs start their careers with State Farm because they have a proven track record with sales and want to be the best salesman in their area. The other 20% are going into the gig with the idea that they are running a business, and not the lead salesman. The best agents always seemed to be the 20%. Putting their face out there, always at top of rankings, and one of the first to sign contracts. Anyone else agree with me?

If I were to pursue a career with State Farm again, I would look at the opportunity as being one to help grow an agency. Take productive people, and work with them to develop their natural ethic and talents to become a part of a profitable sales team.

This has by far been one of the most interesting threads I have come across, most likely because it has struck home like no other. I launched in Arizona and was the first class on the new AA05 contract. Nobody had any clue which way was up. I started with an assignment that paid me under $40,000 (then default was 8.5%) gross to run my office. I am wrapping up my 5th year and have officially "made it". Which really means I am not bleeding money anymore. The game has changed...without question. I am now working on getting a couple of good scorecard bonuses under my belt to pay off all the debt I took on to make it. It was rough, I am not going to lie. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Comparitavely speaking, the agency opportunity is still one of the best out there for someone wanting to start a small business. The old saying of working like hell for the first five years and you can glide from there on is DEAD. You'll work like hell your first five and probably spend the next 3-5 years paying off debt...then you are sitting pretty. Still you can't relax and mail it in from there...not if you wan't your semi-monthly to stay at 3%. The best thing is just to put the culture of the old contract and the AA97 out of your mind--they are never coming back. The opportunity we have is still one of the best in the industry. Burn the boats at the shore along with your exit plan.
:yes:

Back