Biden Repeals Trump Rule Meant To Protect Gig Economy’s ‘Independent Contractor’ Model

republicans are for businesses
And the more people are paid, the more likely they are to purchase goods and services, which, in turn, benefits business. It's also easy to throw stones when already working under the employment protections afforded by government regulations. And those that complain about these protections are often the first to seek out a lawyer when given their walking papers for some perceived injustice.

It is just like insurance some people want to be independent contractors and some people want to be employees. There are already driving jobs that pay hourly for employees. The people that want to be independent want to be independent. That is why after an event or late Friday / Saturday nights the drivers cancel on you and play games because they know as independents what they can get away with and how to work the system. So if Biden thinks he is protecting independents it might sound good in theory but if the drivers lose their freedom ability to pick and choose rides, times, fare amounts and everything else the ones that want to be independent will find other gigs without as much "protection". I wonder how many "independent" insurance agents want this mandated government protection for their profession. Maybe we can be told how many companies to contract with, we must work certain mandated hours, work with all neurotic clients, go into homes or neighborhoods we are uncomfortable with, etc. I'm getting sick just thinking of it 25 years with one corporation was bad enough I vote choose freedom.

It is just like insurance some people want to be independent contractors and some people want to be employees. There are already driving jobs that pay hourly for employees. The people that want to be independent want to be independent. That is why after an event or late Friday / Saturday nights the drivers cancel on you and play games because they know as independents what they can get away with and how to work the system. So if Biden thinks he is protecting independents it might sound good in theory but if the drivers lose their freedom ability to pick and choose rides, times, fare amounts and everything else the ones that want to be independent will find other gigs without as much "protection". I wonder how many "independent" insurance agents want this mandated government protection for their profession. Maybe we can be told how many companies to contract with, we must work certain mandated hours, work with all neurotic clients, go into homes or neighborhoods we are uncomfortable with, etc. I'm getting sick just thinking of it 25 years with one corporation was bad enough I vote choose freedom.

not just this But do keep in mind it also includes fewer hours for companies that can't afford the benefits

and less comp as it becomes hourly

keep less because it taxed less employed because companies can't afford as much help

less service because nop tip incentive and fewer employees

Maybe the government should just make all the gig workers take a test so people understand what it means to be independent. Perhaps some simple suggestions on record keeping and taxes would help some people I just see people in any industry who are self employed and like it that way not needing any extra help from the government if it limits freedom.

Maybe the government should just make all the gig workers take a test so people understand what it means to be independent. Perhaps some simple suggestions on record keeping and taxes would help some people I just see people in any industry who are self employed and like it that way not needing any extra help from the government if it limits freedom.

Listen there are no shortage of jobs now in fact in most times there are plenty of hourly jobs Mc ds Walmart, I mean these are good in between jobs I have done some when in-between stage

They offer hourly benefits and such

Why then should one work as a hairdresser waiter or taxi and want to complain its not hourly

Kind of confused on that one

The way I see it, overall republicans are for businesses, and generally for seeing less laws and regulation, not more.

With that said, if you try to expect consistency, or any type of consistent logic from any political party, you're going to get frustrated. Trust me. I've tried it. It never ends well. Sometimes the left seems to have the best idea. Sometimes the right. Sometimes green party. And sometimes, they're all a bunch of asshats.

images

I totally agree with you Mark. I'm on board with everyone has good ideas sometimes and personally, I'm open to ideas from the Republican Party.

I'm not a Democrat. I'm obviously not a Republican. I definitely do lean progressive.

However, in this case, the logical fallacy is enough for me to say that the Republican stance on this is weird.

I've outlined above why...

I am against union labor bills in the Senate now as I'm a firm believer that Unions in most instances (except for maybe Amazon) are not a great thing ANYMORE.

I'm in a Labor Union, since I'm in a government position. I've been in a Union in a factory. Both of those instances turned me off to Unions as a whole.

Specifically, the biggest issues are covered under federal labor laws already.

There's a place for Unions, albeit imo it's shrunk over time.

That being said, misclassifying independent contractors is a major problem. I was against Trump's move to make it more difficult for misclassified IC'S to get relief.

It's weird for me, specifically Vics argument that government shouldn't pay for unemployment, but neither should employers (granted, that's a really simplified summary.)

I totally agree with you Mark. I'm on board with everyone has good ideas sometimes and personally, I'm open to ideas from the Republican Party.

I'm not a Democrat. I'm obviously not a Republican. I definitely do lean progressive.

However, in this case, the logical fallacy is enough for me to say that the Republican stance on this is weird.

I've outlined above why...

I am against union labor bills in the Senate now as I'm a firm believer that Unions in most instances (except for maybe Amazon) are not a great thing ANYMORE.

I'm in a Labor Union, since I'm in a government position. I've been in a Union in a factory. Both of those instances turned me off to Unions as a whole.

Specifically, the biggest issues are covered under federal labor laws already.

There's a place for Unions, albeit imo it's shrunk over time.

That being said, misclassifying independent contractors is a major problem. I was against Trump's move to make it more difficult for misclassified IC'S to get relief.

It's weird for me, specifically Vics argument that government shouldn't pay for unemployment, but neither should employers (granted, that's a really simplified summary.)

Wow I said govt should pay unemployment LOL

I would never say that ever, I do know Unemployment has its place and purpose and helps many I am 100 % for that

I also know there was a time earlier on during the covid Americans needed extra on top of that since there were lockdowns everywhere Should not be left to deal with that without help

However, what I did say that now that things are opened up there should not be extra Pay and extended unemployment as it has now clearly become a deterrent for working

If someone is layed off today they should get normal Unemployment benefits

but the extra amounts need to be scaled back now

the extended should not be continued to be extra extended for those that have been on it for a long time

Wow I said govt should pay unemployment LOL

I would never say that ever, I do know Unemployment has its place and purpose and helps many I am 100 % for that

I also know there was a time earlier on during the covid Americans needed extra on top of that since there were lockdowns everywhere Should not be left to deal with that without help

However, what I did say that now that things are opened up there should not be extra Pay and extended unemployment as it has now clearly become a deterrent for working

If someone is layed off today they should get normal Unemployment benefits

but the extra amounts need to be scaled back now

the extended should not be continued to be extra extended for those that have been on it for a long time

You'll have to excuse me today. I had deviated septum surgery this morning and I'm still coming out of anesthesia.

I meant your initial post about Unions, which wasn't the point and that it was weird that you were arguing over classification over IT'S vs employees and a Trump rule that made it harder for misclassified employees to get relief.

I'm going to stop posting today just because I'm afraid that I'm going to misunderstand or talk gibberish...

But I'll yell at you tomorrow ;)

You'll have to excuse me today. I had deviated septum surgery this morning and I'm still coming out of anesthesia.

I meant your initial post about Unions, which wasn't the point and that it was weird that you were arguing over classification over IT'S vs employees and a Trump rule that made it harder for misclassified employees to get relief.

I'm going to stop posting today just because I'm afraid that I'm going to misunderstand or talk gibberish...

But I'll yell at you tomorrow ;)

I am sorry but big difference reg company employees and these,

I mean in this buis we have no unemployment benifits take the good with the bad

You could keep your govt job and its benifits or you can go independent and its benefits

Each has its plus and minus

Same with waiters and taxi drivers those jobs give easy quick access to cash money great jobs when in-between jobs or as a stepping stone or second jobs

However, there are plenty of jobs on the same scale that are also0 good for 1st time jobs like Fast food, or stock worker, that don't offer that quick access to cash that offer more stability and as well as unemployment benefits

different path with different plus and minus on the low-end type jobs that are good for the situations they are used for

However, you cannot get the best of both world with the same job regulations that force then cash jobs to operate as the union jobs will only eliminate the choice on the plus and minus as they will lose their unique benefits and become at best like fast food jobs

But that's the thing we see the power of choice is taken from us and choices made for us as we move along

What were they said after closing the pipeline they only wanted to give the pipeline workers better choices Hmm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back