BNI

There are several lead groups out there I think. I joined a new one some time ago but it was such a long drive. I received zero leads and could not justify the distance to drive. I handed out a couple leads but can't say I did my part the well either.

The well developed groups are hard to join b/c people are getting leads and not dropping out. It's worth the effort to start one if you have the time.

Here's an additional thread I started almost a year ago when I started in my local BNI:

BNI (Business Network Int'l)

Am I going to renew? You bet your bippy...over half my business now comes from BNI.

Some tips:

1: Visit several groups...they are all different. Some good, some bad. Make sure they have a structure and stick to it. Make sure they 'pass the basket' at the end of the meeting for referral, visitor and 'dance' cards. Accountability is key.
2: Join a fun group. It can become a grind if it's the same 'ol same 'ol.
2: Make sure YOU define what is and what isn't a referral.
3: Focus on quality not quantity referrals. The minimum quantity is a little daunting at first, but you will find that when you have a network marketing mindset, you will begin to find referrals for your group on a consistent basis.
4: Focus on 'Tier 2' referrals (referrals outside the group). Make it clear to the other members that you are there to be referred to people they know. You might even go so far as to say that it is okay if you don't do any business with them directly ('Tier 1' referral)...it will take their guard down...and they might do biz w/you anyway. The most successful BNIs focus on 'Tier 2' referrals.
5: Make sure you 'dance' with the other members. You WILL get referrals this way. Be the first one to welcome a new member and visit with them. Call the visitors as well and go see them.
5: Get on the membership committee, visitor host committee or hold an office...you will get more exposure.
6: Give it some time. There is a longer ramp-up for this industry than other disciplines within BNI.
7: Be on time and pay attention. There are good learing opportunities and others will notice how involved you are...and thus more apt to refer you.
8: Sit in a different spot every meeting.

I have made WAY more $ than I have put into it. The other, non-BNI 'free' networking meetings I visited were chock-a-block with MLMers. You get what get you pay for. What I get with my BNI group is VALUE...not just card boxes etc. We have a paid party every 6 months, training, donate to local charity as well...and dang...the best part is I get plenty of biz out of it.

Last edited:
In addition to what others have posted,
remember, the sole purpose of BNI is
to create a structured referral club.

True, it is networking. But members are
encouraged and recognized for giving
out referrals at each meeting.

Just know that you'll be expected to
"give" referrals to others as much as you
want to receive them.

Nothing wrong with that of course if
done with proper intentions.

Training?

What Training?

When has BNI ever conducted, sponsored, held a training course for professionals at a hotel, banquet room, or office?

Especially for someone in our industry!

Charity?

What Charity?

I can't think of ever reading of any BNI group being a sponsor of a charity drive, walk, race, fundraiser, softball team, or community event.

Don't think that just because others have eschewed the BNI or Powercore ripoff system, that the only attendees are bottom dwellers in the sales industries or professions.

Meetup events are much more informal, easy to work, and personable. As I write this, two BNI groups that have been here, in the Atlanta area, have folded, due to lack of "financial participation" by attendees.

Now, if they actually helped you with your presentation, like Toastmaters, then I would agree that a fee would be warranted.

BNI is a business, just as an oil company is. And, just as less and less people are using cars - carpooling, teleworking, transit, etc. - so are less business people paying for three-part paper and a card box.

I have no problems with profits. Just don't tell me that the pig in a dress is Dolly Parton, and not Mr. Ziffles pet.

More and more churches in the area are conducting, "Career Meetings" and having wonderful success. I turned a job seekers group into a Career Networking Group, and actually have employed sales people sharing leads - all without making them pay through the nose.

BNI and Powercore don't care about building a relationship with you. They want your leads, and that's it.

Toastmasters, worldwide organization that has done more for business people than BNI - charges $82 a year, and lets you pay it over time, as you go and grow.

BNI, worldwide business, that only wants the best of what you have, and all your money upfront - charges $250 at least, a year, and will deny you participation, if you don't give them enough money, leads, etc.

:skeptical:MMMMM

Guess where I go every week, to practice my Sales Presentations, and network.

I have not heard of BNI either, but I do a lot with the realtors in my area. Of course living in Montgomery County there are tons! Most of them, like Era, have monthly meetings where all the realtors come to. If you can get in good and go to one of those meetings that helps a lot with referrals. That is only 1-2 hrs per month of time!

Training?

What Training?

When has BNI ever conducted, sponsored, held a training course for professionals at a hotel, banquet room, or office?

Especially for someone in our industry!

I have been to 2 of the 4 training sessions offered by our local chapters...one at a hotel, another at a public library.

Charity?

What Charity?

I can't think of ever reading of any BNI group being a sponsor of a charity drive, walk, race, fundraiser, softball team, or community event.

Our chapter gives to a local charity that houses abused women and children. We also take one time offerings for those in need...including a former BNI member whose wife died after a long battle with cancer. We additionally have a fund that gives a yearly education scholarship for a college bound student.

Don't think that just because others have eschewed the BNI or Powercore ripoff system, that the only attendees are bottom dwellers in the sales industries or professions.

Huh?

Meetup events are much more informal, easy to work, and personable. As I write this, two BNI groups that have been here, in the Atlanta area, have folded, due to lack of "financial participation" by attendees.

I'm sure BNI's close all the time...but I am also sure that many others open. As I said...there are good BNI chapters...and there are bad BNI chapters. Choose wisely.

Now, if they actually helped you with your presentation, like Toastmaters, then I would agree that a fee would be warranted.

I didn't join BNI to help me with my presentation...even though it did. To me...the fee is warranted because it is improving my biz. That's what BNI is...Business Network Int'l...not Business Presentation Int'l.

BNI is a business, just as an oil company is. And, just as less and less people are using cars - carpooling, teleworking, transit, etc. - so are less business people paying for three-part paper and a card box.

I have no problems with profits. Just don't tell me that the pig in a dress is Dolly Parton, and not Mr. Ziffles pet.

Three-part paper and a card box...that's all you got out of it? If so...I can see why you didn't stick around. Then again, I get out of it what I put into it. I work it hard and and get plenty of biz as a result.

More and more churches in the area are conducting, "Career Meetings" and having wonderful success. I turned a job seekers group into a Career Networking Group, and actually have employed sales people sharing leads - all without making them pay through the nose.

Good for you and the churches...I hope it continues. But I hardly think $350/year is paying through the nose...especially since I get half my biz from it.

BNI and Powercore don't care about building a relationship with you. They want your leads, and that's it.

I can't speak for Powercore, but that has not been my experience w/BNI.

Toastmasters, worldwide organization that has done more for business people than BNI - charges $82 a year, and lets you pay it over time, as you go and grow.

BNI, worldwide business, that only wants the best of what you have, and all your money upfront - charges $250 at least, a year, and will deny you participation, if you don't give them enough money, leads, etc.

:skeptical:MMMMM

Guess where I go every week, to practice my Sales Presentations, and network.

I will probably check out Toastmasters as well...I have heard good things about it.

Last edited:
Back