• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

BS in California

jbage007

Guru
100+ Post Club
Now that we know BS commission details, wondering what the best comp package is for California business?

Details arrived via email today re: BS
12/5 for first 99 members 15/5 100+
We learned that the 15 IS retroactive once you hit it. Plus, you'll start the next year AT 15 if you hit it in the prior year. Not so bad - if BS is sellable.

Comparing BS to Anthem, which is best for the producer? At first blush, seems like BS.

How does Health Net fit in? Not sure they have announced new comp yet? We are not contracted with Health Net because they require an initial app to contract and every stinkin' one we've submitted got declined so we haven't tried again - but may need to take a look that direction.

We have focused on Anthem in the past but obviously Obamacare is a game changer.

Personally, I think Anthem - CA is primarily responsible FOR passage of Obamacare. Recall their horribly bad timing in announcing 39% rate increases! 6 weeks later, we were toast. Not the smartest folks running that outfit I'll tell ya what.
:nah:

Are you new?? Bs and anthem bc are both good for the producer. Usually bc has better rates then bs.. But we'll have to wait to see if that still is the case ounce anthem Bc lets us sell their plans again in ca.. Blue shields plans usually give more doctor visits then bc.. Anthem bc approve people much faster for me.. Blue shield takes for everrrr for people to get approved.. its sometimes annoying.. But at 15% commission, it might be worth the wait.. HealthNet is not competitive compared to bc and bs. And their products are not as good..

Now that we know BS commission details, wondering what the best comp package is for California business?

Details arrived via email today re: BS
12/5 for first 99 members 15/5 100+
We learned that the 15 IS retroactive once you hit it. Plus, you'll start the next year AT 15 if you hit it in the prior year. Not so bad - if BS is sellable.

Comparing BS to Anthem, which is best for the producer? At first blush, seems like BS.

How does Health Net fit in? Not sure they have announced new comp yet? We are not contracted with Health Net because they require an initial app to contract and every stinkin' one we've submitted got declined so we haven't tried again - but may need to take a look that direction.

We have focused on Anthem in the past but obviously Obamacare is a game changer.

Personally, I think Anthem - CA is primarily responsible FOR passage of Obamacare. Recall their horribly bad timing in announcing 39% rate increases! 6 weeks later, we were toast. Not the smartest folks running that outfit I'll tell ya what.
:nah:

Are you new?? Bs and anthem bc are both good for the producer. Usually bc has better rates then bs.. But we'll have to wait to see if that still is the case ounce anthem Bc lets us sell their plans again in ca..

Anthem announced yesterday several new plans available for sale today including Premier Plus PPO (1000, 1500, 2500, 3500, 5000, 6000), 2 Lumenos Plus HSA (1500 and 5000; 5000 has maternity), 1 Tonik (5000) and 2 Share PPO plans (5000 and 1000). The others are still pending (SmartSense Plus, Core Guard Plus, Clear Protection Plus and remaining Lumenos Plus -- all labelled as "plus" plans now). There are plans to sell. They even have a bonus going now through 12/31.

Rates--depends on the plan. Vital Shield/Plus prices very well against Anthem as does the 5200 HSA. Balance Plans and Essentials Plans also compete well against Anthem.

Blue shields plans usually give more doctor visits then bc..

Depends on the plan.

Anthem bc approve people much faster for me.. Blue shield takes for everrrr for people to get approved.. its sometimes annoying.. But at 15% commission, it might be worth the wait..

Not anymore. They are all using the Tele-Med company out of Chicago which is slowing everyone down (including Health Net who just bought in). Anthem told me a few weeks ago that they were considering firing the nurse line because it was slowing down the process so much. Underwriting time for both on non-clean apps is about the same right now.

HealthNet is not competitive compared to bc and bs. And their products are not as good..

I beg to differ. Their PPO plans are not too great,but their HMO blows the doors off of either Blue. Health Net capitates higher and has about 50,000 PCPs all accepting new patients. Anthem and Blue Shield combined don't have that many docs in all of their IFP HMO plans, not even half. Anthem even has a 'Select' HMO which is a narrow-network plan at lower cost (with lower capitation) with a handful of providers.

Health Net is a descendent of Foundation Health, an HMO. They have kept that as the priority over the years. Strong HMO network and the HMO 40 (the only plan available 1/1/11 for HMO) is a great value both in underwritten and HIPAA given huge network and formulary.

Last edited:
Dave... Healthnet CANNOT compare to bs and bc on the inidvidual market. Now if your talking about the group plans, then yes, healthnet is very competitive on the group market.

But on the individual side, 90% of my sales are ppo plans. Healthnets ppo plans are limited on doc visits, and they do not waive the deductible for the emergency room. And Yes, even with anthem using their nurse line for phone interviews, my applications for anthem still get approved much faster then bs.

Anthem announced yesterday several new plans available for sale today including Premier Plus PPO (1000, 1500, 2500, 3500, 5000, 6000), 2 Lumenos Plus HSA (1500 and 5000; 5000 has maternity), 1 Tonik (5000) and 2 Share PPO plans (5000 and 1000). The others are still pending (SmartSense Plus, Core Guard Plus, Clear Protection Plus and remaining Lumenos Plus -- all labelled as "plus" plans now). There are plans to sell. They even have a bonus going now through 12/31.

Rates--depends on the plan. Vital Shield/Plus prices very well against Anthem as does the 5200 HSA. Balance Plans and Essentials Plans also compete well against Anthem.

Depends on the plan.

Not anymore. They are all using the Tele-Med company out of Chicago which is slowing everyone down (including Health Net who just bought in). Anthem told me a few weeks ago that they were considering firing the nurse line because it was slowing down the process so much. Underwriting time for both on non-clean apps is about the same right now.

I beg to differ. Their PPO plans are not too great,but their HMO blows the doors off of either Blue. Health Net capitates higher and has about 50,000 PCPs all accepting new patients. Anthem and Blue Shield combined don't have that many docs in all of their IFP HMO plans, not even half. Anthem even has a 'Select' HMO which is a narrow-network plan at lower cost (with lower capitation) with a handful of providers.

Health Net is a descendent of Foundation Health, an HMO. They have kept that as the priority over the years. Strong HMO network and the HMO 40 (the only plan available 1/1/11 for HMO) is a great value both in underwritten and HIPAA given huge network and formulary.

Dave... Healthnet CANNOT compare to bs and bc on the inidvidual market. Now if your talking about the group plans, then yes, healthnet is very competitive on the group market.

They have a much stronger HMO than either Blue in the individual market. Double the network and higher capitation.

But on the individual side, 90% of my sales are ppo plans. Healthnets ppo plans are limited on doc visits, and they do not waive the deductible for the emergency room. And Yes, even with anthem using their nurse line for phone interviews, my applications for anthem still get approved much faster then bs.

You're a poor listener, aren't you? Read his reply again.

They have a much stronger HMO than either Blue in the individual market. Double the network and higher capitation.

Do you sell a lot of hmo on the individual market? As said before, I hardly sell HMO. If you do, then yes healthnet wins there.

E-mail from Anthem on 12/9:

Ready, set, sell!

We are excited to introduce 11 new Individual products, available to sell today with a first effective date of December 10, 2010. These familiar plan designs are compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) mandated benefits and continue to offer your clients a broad choice of coverage to help meet their needs. These plans supplement our PPO Share 3500 and 7500 and HMO plans that were previously approved.We are accepting paper applications (mailed, faxed or e-mailed) right away. We will let you know as soon as the new plans are loaded on online sites (this may take a week or so).

We're continuing to work with the California Department of Insurance in order to have the remainder of our PPACA compliant plans completely reviewed and ready for the Individual market as soon as possible. The remaining plans include SmartSense Plus, CoreGuard Plus, ClearProtection Plus and Lumenos Plus. We will update you on our progress and notify you as soon as plans become available for sale

In addition to the new plans, we have a new bonus program that offers agents the opportunity to earn up to $20,000! Be sure to review this information, and contact your Regional Sales Manager with questions.

Remember, all of our new plans continue to have an initial 12-month rate guarantee!
  • Premier Plus 1000, 1500, 2500, 3500, 5000 and 6000
  • Lumenos HSA 1500 (no maternity)
  • Lumenos HSA 5000 (maternity)
  • Tonik 5000
  • PPO Share 5000
  • PPO Share 1000
Still pending final CDI review:
  • SmartSense Plus
  • ClearProtection Plus
  • CoreGuard Plus
  • Lumenos Plus
Start selling now!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Plans won't be loaded on the Agent Connect sites until probably end of this week soonest.

Last edited:
I got this email.
Fell on the floor laughing when I read the details on the $20K bonus. Okay, there are people who write that kind of health volume, definitely not me!

Granted, there were other much more obtainable levels in the bonus structure.

Dan

Back