California Insurance Agents - New Law on Emails

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
Just got this email notification from the CA DOI regarding putting license numbers on all outgoing emails. (I thought that was part of the California insurance law already?)

Well, there's a couple of points that I highlighted for California licensed agents to just double-check to make sure that the text is the right size and it's located in the proper place in your email signature.

I had to make an adjustment myself, so I thought I'd re-post this to ensure that all of you know as well.New_Law_Requires_Licensees_to_Include_Their_License_Number_on_Emails-NOV-221.png New_Law_Requires_Licensees_to_Include_Their_License_Number_on_Emails-NOV-222.png

Just got this email notification from the CA DOI regarding putting license numbers on all outgoing emails. (I thought that was part of the California insurance law already?)

Well, there's a couple of points that I highlighted for California licensed agents to just double-check to make sure that the text is the right size and it's located in the proper place in your email signature.

I had to make an adjustment myself, so I thought I'd re-post this to ensure that all of you know as well.View attachment 8256 View attachment 8257

Finally, sensible regulations that will stop all the crimes against the citizens of California. We all know the scams that utilize too small of font & no license numbers

Lol, laws on font size & putting license number in an email. Meanwhile in California, Apple let's looters steal everything from the store & move customers out of the way so the looters can not be delayed & bothered.

For everyone: California DOI sent out a revised PDF providing a bit more clarity on this new law. The most common question I've seen asked was if the law pertains to those who have a non-resident license.

Here's what it says: "Starting January 1, 2023, the new Cal. Ins. Code section 1725.5(c) will take effect and require specific resident and non-resident insurance producers, independent insurance adjusters, public insurance adjusters, and analysts include their license number on emails."

So yes, if you have a non-resident California license, you need to include your license number on all outgoing emails.

For everyone: California DOI sent out a revised PDF providing a bit more clarity on this new law. The most common question I've seen asked was if the law pertains to those who have a non-resident license.

Here's what it says: "Starting January 1, 2023, the new Cal. Ins. Code section 1725.5(c) will take effect and require specific resident and non-resident insurance producers, independent insurance adjusters, public insurance adjusters, and analysts include their license number on emails."

So yes, if you have a non-resident California license, you need to include your license number on all outgoing emails.
It looks like includes support staff too which is ridiculous. Should they just use my license number?

They actually clarified that in the revised PDF on page 2:

Are clerical activities that are exempt from licensure impacted by this law?

No. Title 10 of the California Code of Regulations sections 2193 through 2193.3, which
govern the clerical activities that are exempt from licensure, are not impacted by this new
requirement. Section 1725.5(c) applies to emails that “involve an activity for which a license is required.”

Here, I uploaded the revised PDF:

Attachments

• Notice-Revised_New_Law_Requires_Licensees_to_Include_Their_License_Number_on_Emails.pdf
    240.2 KB · Views: 2
Back