Career Agent with Humana

HelpingSeniors

Good morning everyone. Can anyone provide any input (pro's & con's) of being a career agent with Humana? I guess I am trying to look through a crystal ball through your experience as to what my future will hold should I go down this path. Thanks for your input.

Good morning everyone. Can anyone provide any input (pro's & con's) of being a career agent with Humana? I guess I am trying to look through a crystal ball through your experience as to what my future will hold should I go down this path. Thanks for your input.

That probably depends on how competitive Humana is in your area. If they have a competitive product it may not be a bad place to learn the business. I've never worked with them in the captive side so I can't speak to the ins and outs of what you'll experience there.

But the downside I see to any captive situation in regard to clients is that you only have one arrow in your quiver. So you'll have to decide if you're going to be the type of person who does what is right for everyone or tries to fit a square peg into a round hole in certain situations. If the former, then you'll probably upset your bosses from time to time. If the latter, then you'll need to change your screen name.

Thanks for the reply. It is actually my understanding that I would be able to sell other carrier products. They would of course need to be brokered through Humana, a new initiative. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks...

You are right, there really would be no difference. However the thought of not starving, and having benefits while learning the business is something maybe to consider in the beginning. I know Humana has a robust training program, but was hoping to gain knowledge from anyone here who has ever been on the inside.

You are right, there really would be no difference. However the thought of not starving, and having benefits while learning the business is something maybe to consider in the beginning. I know Humana has a robust training program, but was hoping to gain knowledge from anyone here who has ever been on the inside.

Look for bpenn here on the forum. He was captive Humana before going indy

I wasn't even thinking of you getting salary and benefits. Definitely a consideration for someone new.

It's a pretty good gig when you consider salary and benefits. You will be tied to their Medicare products only and the pressure will be on to sell their other auxiliary products. I enjoy being indy now, I can write whatever is best for the client and am not bogged down by conference calls and endless reports.

I was career for them. I did ok. But they had me working six days (even seven if I would let them) a week driving about 300 miles per day (they did pay mileage). Just plain wore me and my vehicle out. I left them primarily because of the culture with the company (at least where I worked) Very poor attitude, especially no respect for the agents. In my opinion too a large degree. Mostly medicare agents that couldn't make it as an Indy I much prefer independent I can make my one schedule. And have more control with my career For what it's worth Lg
Bare in mind I have been in ins business 40+ years

For.a newbie. Great learning environment with some salary and benefits

Back