Carrier Reps

My favorite rep story is the one where we were both in front of my client discussing the life rate for their group policy. It was a family owned business, with the father as President and the two sons were VPs. We were meeting with the sons as well as the CFO, my main contact. The father was I believe in his 70's at the time, maybe 80's, and when one of the sons asked why the life rate was so high, my intrepid rep chimed in:

"The rate is higher because your father is old and he is going to die soon."

I still remember the expressions on everyone's face. If I had a mirror, mine probably looked the same. This guy wasn't even a nube, he had been in the industry for several years. Funny now.

I was a carrier rep and producing carrier regional manager for 15 years. It was a great, great job.

I remember having spreadsheets and powerpoints covering not only with my company's products but also every major competitors. I also made myself be fluent with every carrier's underwriting worksheets and formulas.

A couple months ago, I was assigned a new carrier rep. He called to let me know he was late for our first appointment. Ok, I think, it happens. His reason? He was geting a haircut.

Times change.

I remember having spreadsheets and powerpoints covering not only with my company's products but also every major competitors. I also made myself be fluent with every carrier's underwriting worksheets and formulas.

We used stone tablets and chisels.

I do remember learning how to read upside down. Very helpful while in a brokers office.

Too funny! I always ask for a carrier rep who is the oldest one in the marketing department. Even if they don't have the most years of experience in the company, I want the oldest rep, because they get to the bottom line. And they usually don't want to go swimming afterwards!

Must have been hard to fax a stone tablet.

Heavy, and took a long time.

We didn't go swimming much but leevena and I had other ways to entertain ourselves

13.jpg

Last edited:
I am about to pull the plug with this carrier.

Currently, I am in the top 5 for production in the city which is not saying much.

They have one rep I really like and have known for the last 10 years and that is why I am doing business with them along with a brand name.

The new people they are bringing on are horrible.

Frankly, let's not limit this to carrier reps - the vast majority of the brokers I know aren't very sharp either, but they tend to know a lot of people, which is why they're in business.

Latest posts

Back