Carrier Roll Out Game Show Style

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I have been intrigued by some of the FMO/IMO videos that roll out new products/carriers and have to wonder what is the attraction?

One fairly well known individual has apparently developed a following with feigned shock and disbelief that Medicare, a carrier, CMS, etc . . . take your pick, is trying to stick it to the consumer with some new tactic. After watching some of his videos, and noting the things he got wrong, I stopped watching them. The videos seem to attract the low information crowd . . .

Videos from other marketers are also adopting the "game show" style with bells, gongs, graphics (like the Batman TV show POW, ZAP) with the emcee introducing their next guest accompanied by trumpets or a drum roll.

One I watched recently was introducing a BRAND NEW Medigap carrier to the market . . . a carrier with a well known parent but will leave most people saying "Who??" with regard to the issuing carrier.

Whenever there is a new player in the market my "go to" resource is CSG . . . which I know has flaws but at least the flaws are consistent and predictable if you know how to read the tea leaves.

So this brand new carrier was being introduced by their Giant Head of Marketing (fictitious title, he really did not have a giant physical head) but his moderately spiked hair style and scruffy beard made him look like he belonged in a Scooby Doo cartoon than representing a carrier.

Back to the story . . .

According to CSG this brand new carrier has 57 "years in the market" which is odd. The brand new carrier only rolled out their Medigap product this year and I don't recall ever hearing of the parent (well known personal lines P&C carrier) ever being involved in the Medicare market.

FYI, Medicare is also 57 years old . . .

My personal mantra is to avoid carriers who have not truly been active in MY market at least 5 years under the same name. I don't care who the parent is, because policies are issued by the child carrier, not the parent. If the child leaves the state after 3 or 4 years that block is closed and the remaining policyholders are getting older and sicker . . . which results in a death spiral for the block.

Not everyone operates the way I do and it is perfectly fine if they want to ride the latest "hot hand" steed until it runs out of gas. That is their circus and their monkeys. Not my problem.

But how much of the BRAND NEW CARRIER pitch is hype and fluff and how much is substance? Other than rookies in the business, how many established agents actually fall for this approach?

/rant off . . .

Not everyone operates the way I do and it is perfectly fine if they want to ride the latest "hot hand" steed until it runs out of gas. That is their circus and their monkeys. Not my problem.

I don't do it because you gotta know the only reason rates are low is because of no claims experience. That's the game.

If you can effectively articulate that, people will pay a little more for a more reliable carrier. All for me to make an additional 36 dollars a year :| more.

I hate when marketing companies call me.. "Oh, we have this carrier that has x spiff and really great rates..."

I don't sell it if it hasn't been in MI for 5 years.

"Oh it's been around for 5 years.."

In MI?

"Well, no.. but.."

Not interested.

The they ask why, I tell them, rebuttal, no thanks.. *click*

What is NHIC/NatGen for $500, Alex?
--
I've had a contract with them for several years - about 3. Picked it up for short term medical. At the time I contracted, their med supp had decent rates. Pretty strict underwriting. Relatively lower comp. Their e-apps was OK, not excellent.

I tried writing them circa Nov 2020 but the lady I was trying to write couldn't pass UW - again, their UW was/is stricter.

I don't quite recall all the details, but I think they were acquired by Allstate within the last year or two?

Fast forward, I think the big push with them recently is their newer discounts and better rates. Fitbit connection... Annual pay...

I also think some large FMOs/IMOs must have new partnerships with them. When I picked them up I went direct, no FMO was really pushing them.

I had a guy with MoO Plan N who got a moderate rate increase and I ran quotes for him and NHIC saved him quite a bit due to him paying annually and getting an extra 10% off. I wrote him about 2 weeks ago. My first med supp with NHIC.

Their e-app platform was actually really nice now. It seems like they're going to do a decent job. I like the fact that they really aren't "new," they have strict underwriting, and generally they seem to be an improving smaller carrier that may end up in the "pretty good smaller carrier" category like Manhattan.

My experience with smaller carriers in Medigap is mixed, although my preference for U65 individual major med favored small (even B rated) carriers over the "giant, household name" brands.

Equitable was great at first then went down the tubes quickly when losses on other lines of coverage brought them down. Ironically, they had a 30 year track record in the Medicare market.

New Era was one of the first carriers I picked up when I transitioned (need to be careful using that term) to Medicare. They have been fairly reliable over the years although I don't write as much new business as in the past . . . mostly underwritten . . . I am comfortable with their approach and even know the underwriting VP . . . that doesn't give me favors other than access to get feedback on certain cases before submitting them.

I was cautiously optimistic about MLIC and they rewarded me by dumping their GA block then followed up with two successive "new" carrier which kicked off their form of musical carrier chairs.

I also allowed myself to be sucked into GTL when they jumped in the Medigap business. Because Medigap is a secondary payer it is impossible to screw up claims . . . at least that is what I thought until I place a few cases with them only to discover they had no clue how to pay XS charges from providers that did not take assignment.

There are no perfect carriers of any size, but some get more things right than not. These new carriers really make a mess of things before they ride off into the sunset.

@sshafran I think I used NG or Allstate maybe a dozen years ago when I made a foray into the worksite market. Don't recall ever seeing them, or the parent, in the Medicare market.

Acquired by Allstate 2021

How Somarco writes any business is beyond me . 90% of what comes out of his mouth is negative . Hell he even has negative stuff to say about almost every med sup carrier . The dudes a negative Nelly . The sky’s always falling .My mind is positive every second of every day . . It’s why I sold 10 mapd last week .

How Somarco writes any business is beyond me . 90% of what comes out of his mouth is negative . Hell he even has negative stuff to say about almost every med sup carrier . The dudes a negative Nelly . The sky’s always falling .My mind is positive every second of every day . . It’s why I sold 10 mapd last week .

Congrats on the 10 that is great...I expect 12 this next week JK..
GREAT JOB!

To all above, thanks for sharing....

Exactly why I stick with MAPD only.

If one wants a Medsupp. I refer them out.

You're joking, right? Why refer it out when it's a piece of cake to write up? If you can write up a MAPD app, you can do a med supp and get the comp.

Underwritten takes a bit more skill but they are usually yes/no questions.

Back