Carriers Slack on Personal Info?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Just noticed Aetna applications have applicants SSN, Mcare # and bank info out there for anyone to see.

Most other carriers truncate the information or say "ON FILE". A bit surprising they are willing to not only put the full info out there but send it via email which is not secure.

What is the agent liability if the app falls in the wrong hands?

Just noticed Aetna applications have applicants SSN, Mcare # and bank info out there for anyone to see.

Most other carriers truncate the information or say "ON FILE". A bit surprising they are willing to not only put the full info out there but send it via email which is not secure.

What is the agent liability if the app falls in the wrong hands?

Are you referring to when they have the option to receive a copy of the application via email, after doing an e app? I had a slight worry about that, the possibility that their email gets hacked or something. I dont usually email it to them, rather just let them know they'll get a hard copy.

Doesn't matter whether delivered electronically or by snail mail. Some people get crazy about having stuff floating around with their SSN and Mcare # on documents.

It also doesn't matter that identity thieves are more interested in getting your credit card info or health insurance ID than trying to create a "mini you" and take out loans in your name.

Finally, the bigger threat is what happens to your data that is stored by companies and the govt. Real thieves are more interested in mass data than onesies and twosies.

The receipt you get after swiping your credit or debit card has a truncated number on it. Most of the carriers I have used do the same. Aetna puts it all out there, including banking info.

Seems kinda dumb to me.

I've mailed applications to clients after I've filled out that information and they've mailed it back. Same with email.

What's the work around? Maybe Medicare should change the ID number to something other than SS number sooner than the years they say it will take.

Rick

Only work around is to call the carrier (or carrier calls applicant) for SSN, MC# and bank info. Certainly more secure that email or snail mail for the full number

Back