Cigna won't cancel PDP

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Came across a gentleman (not a customer, just trying to help him), says he On 11/22/2022 called Cigna to disenroll from their drug program. did not receive their disenroll form till 12/3/2022. So he called them again - saying he wanted disenrolled - on 12/3/2022. On the back of their form it says he can disenroll by calling Medicare, which he did. He also filled out their form and mailed it on 12/4/2022. Cigna says - in their numerous letters to him - "On 12/12/2022 we received your Disenrollment Form signed/dated 12/03/2022 vail mail.

Medicare and Cigna keep passing the buck back and forth and $57.80 a month keeps being taken from the SS that he is getting.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I don't know.
Is there a way for him to retroactively cancel the PDP now?

AFAIK the only way to cancel now is via SEP. I have never attempted a retro cancellation, but I would think carrier behavior would have to be egregious before Medicare would tell the carrier to cancel it.

Since he didn't enroll in a new PDP before 12/7 he pooped in his mess kit and will have to deal with it.

Not that I am aware of.
Unless there is an SEP for Cigna not cancelling the PDP when they were supposed to?

Yeah that doesn’t make sense. Just assuming someone dropped the ball at Cigna, and will most likely need a SEP to drop now. I had someone do something similar at Aetna, and had to go through mess of calls and letters, but it wasn’t a PDP.

Possibly have him file a grievance for this to a Cigna? Worth a shot.

Came across a gentleman (not a customer, just trying to help him), says he On 11/22/2022 called Cigna to disenroll from their drug program. did not receive their disenroll form till 12/3/2022. So he called them again - saying he wanted disenrolled - on 12/3/2022. On the back of their form it says he can disenroll by calling Medicare, which he did. He also filled out their form and mailed it on 12/4/2022. Cigna says - in their numerous letters to him - "On 12/12/2022 we received your Disenrollment Form signed/dated 12/03/2022 vail mail.

Medicare and Cigna keep passing the buck back and forth and $57.80 a month keeps being taken from the SS that he is getting.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

If he really called 800-Medicare to disenroll during AEP, it should have been an easy transaction unless he got the worst call rep ever.

What other drug coverage does the client have? Does he plan on going without? Does he know about the LEP he could face when joining another Part D plan?

If he called Cigna and didn't receive proper instructions to submit his disenrollment request, then he might be able to get the retro term back to 12/31. He definitely did not have to wait on their form to mail them a written request.

I would advise him to use the Medicare complaint form and explain things in a short, clear manner w/o all the old people "shaking fists at the sky" BS. [EXTERNAL LINK] - medicare.gov/my

If he really called 800-Medicare to disenroll during AEP, it should have been an easy transaction unless he got the worst call rep ever.

What other drug coverage does the client have? Does he plan on going without? Does he know about the LEP he could face when joining another Part D plan?

If he called Cigna and didn't receive proper instructions to submit his disenrollment request, then he might be able to get the retro term back to 12/31. He definitely did not have to wait on their form to mail them a written request.

I would advise him to use the Medicare complaint form and explain things in a short, clear manner w/o all the old people "shaking fists at the sky" BS. [EXTERNAL LINK] - medicare.gov/my
Yep

Funny, this is so true. I have a lady which was denied payment for a wheelchair, and I told her to write specific reasons, and be as concise and straightforward as possible.

She sent me pics of the letter, it was three pages of illegible cursive writing...“Is this good?”.

Back