• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Claims Question- House Vs Car

dmetzger

Expert
An insured has her home insurance with us. Son (adult) lives in the home. Yesterday, he was pulling into the driveway and somehow hit the garage, knocking it 2 inches off the foundation.

His auto carrier, Geico, advised that they are not liable since he lives in the household. Reading our auto contracts, it appears they are wrong. Any insight on this?

Thanks.

I think most carriers will deny a claim from a household or run into a double deductible situation.

What policy details are you citing that says they are wrong?

We read the policy of an auto policy from one of our carriers. It seems to us that it would be covered. The homeowner company says it should be covered under the Geico policy. They are going to fight it out.

If he lives in the house, in most situations, the auto policy will not cover damage to the house structure. If you read the liability section, there will be an exclusion for owned or lived in property. I don't know of a single auto policy that would cover the house (and related structures), but there is probably one out there somewhere.

Now, my guess is the son wasn't listed on the home policy, which is why the home insurance is fighting it. Eventually, they will lose though (probably).

Now, my real question is, how fast was the son going at the time of impact to knock a garage 2 inches off its foundation? Usually, you just take out the garage door, and even then, its usually just a dent.

Back