CMS Official: ‘We Really Do See the Role of the Navigator and Agent and Broker As Different’

Meanwhile, the man in charge of the CA exchange:

Question: "Good day Peter. Can you define the roles of Agents, Navigators, and In-Person Assisters in the CA marketplace?"

Answer: Covered California is building an online marketplace that consumers can use to find out what they are eligible for and pick a plan. We also know that many people will need help and advice from trained humans! The individuals that are certified by Covered California to help consumers make the choice right for them will all be trained and tested to make sure they know the rules and can help folks. Licensed agents, in-person assisters or what are called "navigators" will all need to show they know how to help consumers and do it right consistently.

Follow up Question: Can you elaborate on their specific roles? Why should I work with one over the other?

Answer: If you are an individual seeking to understand your options and eligibility — the labels don't matter: if you've been certified by Covered California and are an assister or insurance agent you'll get the same consistent information and support. Covered California is looking at having a "navigator" grant program in 2014 that would combine the individual assistance with enrollment with doing outreach. But for a consumer seeking help, they would have the same training.

I am Peter V. Lee, Executive Director of Covered California. AMAA about health care reform in California. : IAmA

So we're paying untold amount of money to people so they can explain things just the way we can (except we do that part for free), but they can't answer the key question: What do you recommend I do?

Bold strategy.

Sam, I swear you are one of the most valuable resources any health agent could ever want! Anytime you are in my neck of the woods, I'm buying you dinner!

This is a great article:
He continued to say that CMS is “very eager to have agents and brokers play a significant role in this and we’re confident that they will.” He confirmed what CMS spokespeople have said in recent weeks that information is forthcoming on how brokers will be “able to access the system” and conduct training. Cohen said it will be available “soon.”

It's nice lip service until we actually see something in writing.

Sen. Tom Harkin (D – Iowa), .... while he is supportive of the Navigator program he takes issue with “how you’re paying for that.” .... wants to “send a message that’s we’re not going to accept that.” Harkin explained that “robbing the money from the Prevention Fund … to take money out of that to set up a Navigator system is illogical.”

Did my Senator say something that makes sense!?!?! Get out!!!

What would happen if Congress put a stop to the plan HHS has set forth to pay for the unfunded Navigator program? :unsure:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So we're paying untold amount of money to people so they can explain things just the way we can (except we do that part for free), but they can't answer the key question: What do you recommend I do?

Bold strategy.

It's not untold...its $54 million. Come to think about it, the accepted figure is 30 million without insurance. The navigator program is going to spend nearly $2 million for an unfunded program per uninsured person to get them enrolled. Yep, it's a government program alright!

Last edited:
What is the take away on this? are agents allowed to be nav's? or another role?
For the state of California

Last edited:
What is the take away on this? are agents allowed to be nav's? or another role?
For the state of California

I can't speak specifically for the state of California, but as I understand it, agents can be navigators only if they are not being compensated by health insurance companies. So technically yes, you can be a licensed health insurance agent and a navigator, but you can't actually be a health insurance agent and a navigator. Unless you don't have an existing book of business and you have no desire to earn an income as a health insurance agent, don't even consider it.

I can't speak specifically for the state of California, but as I understand it, agents can be navigators only if they are not being compensated by health insurance companies. So technically yes, you can be a licensed health insurance agent and a navigator, but you can't actually be a health insurance agent and a navigator. Unless you don't have an existing book of business and you have no desire to earn an income as a health insurance agent, don't even consider it.

Gets me thinking...Could I get paid hourly as a navigator and then cross sell nonhealth insurance products ie life or retirement planning?

Gets me thinking...Could I get paid hourly as a navigator and then cross sell nonhealth insurance products ie life or retirement planning?

From what I have read, yes but I would do more research to confirm; but I am not sure why you would want to go that route unless health isn't your primary product. If allowed, it might be a great way for life agents to get prospects. Of course you also have to consider the demographics that will be shopping the exchange and determine if that demographic is your target.

From what I have read, yes but I would do more research to confirm; but I am not sure why you would want to go that route unless health isn't your primary product. If allowed, it might be a great way for life agents to get prospects. Of course you also have to consider the demographics that will be shopping the exchange and determine if that demographic is your target.

Well Health has not been a focus at all...I live in Maine one of the current GI states with almost no market for IFPs currently so I am not giving up anything ie existing book. Though things could change but its as simple as quiting the navigator part and using my license right...

Back