CMS Official: ‘We Really Do See the Role of the Navigator and Agent and Broker As Different’

You could become a NAV, but you would have to give up your existing renewal IFP business. You can not be receiving any compensation from any health insurance related product.

Navigators are basically what the senior market has for their state volunteer programs where anyone can volunteer to help guide seniors in their Medicare choices. Kansas has SHICK (Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas).

However, now the government will pay people to give generic advice. If it is as effective as the SHICK program (at least in KS), agents should be rejoicing. All the clients I have talked to after getting advice are happy to talk to an actual agent.

Navigators are basically what the senior market has for their state volunteer programs where anyone can volunteer to help guide seniors in their Medicare choices. Kansas has SHICK (Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas).

However, now the government will pay people to give generic advice. If it is as effective as the SHICK program (at least in KS), agents should be rejoicing. All the clients I have talked to after getting advice are happy to talk to an actual agent.

Just to your north and east, here in Iowa we have SHIIP, those volunteers don't do what they are supposed to. On more than a couple dozen occasions I have had prospects tell me that they met with SHIIP and the representative told them to stay away from all MAPDs because they are all bad or they didn't cover everything. I fear that Navs will do the same type of thing.

Latest posts

Back