CMS: STM Limited to 3 Months - No Renewal Allowed

By the way, avoid saying "USHealth" on this forum, unless you want a fight. I'm not sure if you just happened to say that, as an example, or if you are planning to sell it... I haven't heard anything good about it yet. Even if it was just an example, most agents aren't interested in any example that might manipulate around the law, but not necessarily offer the client the finest coverage that the client can afford.

Somewhere in the tangled web, NHIC is the grandaddy of them all. US Health, NASE, etc

I went to the NHIC site and it shows National Geneal. Their STM plans look like a competive product. Where is the rub?

The last couple of days I went to several websites trying to get additional stm rates and of course was bombarded with agent calls. I talked with 4 us health agents and never, ever talked with a dumber lying agents in my life. I know their plans pretty well and they couldn't explain and totally lied about competitive products. Really unreal.

Lots of times, when agents are captive, they believe 100% in whatever their upline has told them. That education often includes the caveat, "Don't ask an independent agent." I have known several agents who are really excellent independent agents at this point, but they got their start on that path after they became shocked to find out that the captive company that first hired & trained them was, well, shall we say far less than honest.

I have never done much with short term, but my main carrier is suggesting we have this in our pockets for this ACA AEP, ihcgroup.com.

I have sold one UHC STM plan, but that was before ACA. Curious what others here think about the different STM companies out there.

I like National General and Golden Rule.

In my state Golden Rule is sold under UnitedHealth One. I guess they bought Golden Rule.

The plan is deductible, coinsurance, max out of pocket. There are 4 plans, all exclude pre-ex. Some of the more expensive ones cover RX and have a few office visit copays. All have the use of a national network, so pre-deductible covered visits are payable in full, but at the network rate. My client did one of those for a sick child visit, appreciated that "benefit". I guess a younger person on a whole year plan might like the fancier options, but I explain it as mostly a catastrophic benefit with a discount for the in network visits that hit before the deductible. One of these days, I will look into the voluntary benefit type of add on plans.

I have known several agents who are really excellent independent agents at this point,

There are agents on this forum now, and in the past, that started out captive selling sh*t plans and eventually became quite competent independent agents.

There are agents on this forum now, and in the past, that started out captive selling sh*t plans and eventually became quite competent independent agents.

In regard to life insurance that is the way at least 50% of us started.

That's what I understand, Frank. Back in the agency system days, when you and I were pups, that was the only way to get into the life business.

If they worked for the big carriers like NYL, Mass Mutual, MONY, etc they at least sold quality products. What was missing in their training was how to perform a true needs analysis and offer an affordable solution. My first agent gig was with MONY. We were taught a very rudimentary analysis but then taught to sell only whole life with either a PO or term rider. You were then to go back every year and convert a portion of the term or help them exercise the PO when their next enrollment period arrived.

And then there were the A L Williams folks who sold overpriced term and convinced others to do the same. They built downlines of people selling overpriced term and annuities that had heavy termination penalties. Selling the dream of retiring on your annuity and never needing life insurance when you got to 65.

Some of those folks got religion too and became real agents doing the right thing.

My comment was with regard to health agents that sold Mega and other crap plans and then later got religion.

Back