COBRA is Expiring, My Wife is Pregnant

Looks like DGoldenz has it covered.

But let's pretend he did not and HIPPA was the way to go. I am a HIPPA *** because I'm in Michigan and BCBS Michigan being a Provider of Last Resort (and the HIPPA surrogate), changes the whole process from the rest of the 57 states.

Hypothetically, if he gets a HIPPA plan, would that be an individual policy? As in, individual which does not cover maternity like group plans would?

It is always important to keep in mind that HIPAA is a federal law covering portability plans but delivery was left to each state to determine the program.

As evidenced above (last 2 posts before mine), Michigan and DC have very different methods of providing the HIPAA coverage.

In CA, all carriers selling individual plans must offer at least 2 of their open IFP plans to HIPAA for each registration (CDI and DMHC). Usually each carrier has 4 total HIPAA plans in CA. Enrollment is based on eligibility and there is no waiting for enrollment.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW, beginning July 1 ALL California individual & family plans MUST cover maternity. There will be no such thing as a non-maternity plan in CA by the time I hit Vegas (to hang with Dgoldenz ;)

Last edited:
Agreed. HIPAA is a Federal Law, but the delivery in different localities can vary drastically. In AZ, all IFP carriers must provide at least 2 plan options, most of which do not cover normal maternity but will cover a complication and will cover the newborn from moment of birth. Conversion is usually available in AZ, but it's expensive and very limited in duration and benefits (usually without maternity coverage).

I have a standard checklist I go through with any client in AZ who loses COBRA and is in the situation of the original poster on this thread. I start with the options that pose the least long-term risk (which are usually the most expensive), and work my way down to the most risky but least expensive options. I then usually summarize govt funded options like Medicaid (AHCCCS in AZ) or risk pools. Even though I usually make zero dollars on the deal, I at least feel like I gave the client some direction. I always end with a brief but firm statement that the information I gave him was just a brief summary, intended to direct him to resources to help him further.

It's a given I will be hanging with you. According to DS4, it's your diamond status that makes it tolerable ?. Not sayin I agree with Dayton.

Back