• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Cold Calls Made Per Week?

I'm confused about this calling for " a five-minute introduction. "

Are you saying you're setting an appointment simply to stop by for five minutes to 'get acquainted' in the hope of establishing a relationship or uncovering a need or setting a more lengthy appointment to talk business/do a fact finder?

Serious inquiry, please clarify.

1. Possible pre-approach phone call or letter to state the intention of dropping by for X amount of minutes to show them the work you do.

2. Approach for 10-15 minutes out in the field to solicit needs through a priorities paper list and/or set of questions you ask them. Asking them questions to uncover a problem and then ask implication questions to see how serious of a need it is.

3. Either its a simple need where you can solicit an app either on a medical close or an agreed upon premium amount (health, life, disability) or its a more complex need (retirement, buy-sell,etc.) and you need to set an additional appointment(s) to fact find and/or present a solution.

I'm confused about this calling for " a five-minute introduction. "

Are you saying you're setting an appointment simply to stop by for five minutes to 'get acquainted' in the hope of establishing a relationship or uncovering a need or setting a more lengthy appointment to talk business/do a fact finder?

Serious inquiry, please clarify.

It's just a get "get acquainted" request, I tell them "I would like to stop by this afternoon to drop off a brochure and make a quick introduction, are you around at all this afternoon?" I only call small business owners. You need volumes of these to make this approach work.

When I get in front of them, I show them a one pager on the type of work I do, then start asking questions to try and open a new case. If I can't get to first base, I get an email address and permission to stay in touch. If it is obviously not a client I want, then I don't try further. To make it work, I really need 6 cases opened per week. I'm not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination and I am not always consistent, but I know my numbers and have faith that they would work for just about anyone else as I am not a super salesman.

Here are my numbers: 60% of those that agree to you stopping by will greet you and hear you out, 40% will not be there or not have time when you show up. Of those you meet, only about 20% will be a case opened immediately, and will close 33% of those opened. That means a person needs to "meet" 15 small business owners to get a new client. To make matters worse, you need to try meeting 25 to get a new client, since 40% blow you off and you never meet them.

That means attempting 5 approaches per day (to people who agreed to let you stop by) to get one new client per week. That unfortunately doesn't get it done for me. I really want to double that number. The good news is of the 5 who agree to have me stop by, 2 will not be there that day, but I can try again tomorrow, and the next day, when I'm back in the area. After a few days, it is very reasonable to have 10 people to attempt "meeting" with 5 to 6 new "meet and greets" scheduled each day.

My numbers are 1 in 4 people I speak with on the phone agree to me stopping out. Therefore, I need to talk to 20 to 25 people per day on the phone to make that work, about 100 dials in the morning (3 hours). If you live in a populated metro area, this is entirely possible to make it work. It builds momentum as you do it, but it feels like it doesn't work while doing the activity since you get so many not interested responses, but it always has for me in the past. This is one method to generate a local, long term clientele for a life agent. It does seem to get easier at times as more referrals come in and repeat sales to current clients, however, getting new clients always has remained a constant grind.

It's just a get "get acquainted" request, I tell them "I would like to stop by this afternoon to drop off a brochure and make a quick introduction, are you around at all this afternoon?" I only call small business owners. You need volumes of these to make this approach work.

When I get in front of them, I show them a one pager on the type of work I do, then start asking questions to try and open a new case. If I can't get to first base, I get an email address and permission to stay in touch. If it is obviously not a client I want, then I don't try further. To make it work, I really need 6 cases opened per week. I'm not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination and I am not always consistent, but I know my numbers and have faith that they would work for just about anyone else as I am not a super salesman.

Here are my numbers: 60% of those that agree to you stopping by will greet you and hear you out, 40% will not be there or not have time when you show up. Of those you meet, only about 20% will be a case opened immediately, and will close 33% of those opened. That means a person needs to "meet" 15 small business owners to get a new client. To make matters worse, you need to try meeting 25 to get a new client, since 40% blow you off and you never meet them.

That means attempting 5 approaches per day (to people who agreed to let you stop by) to get one new client per week. That unfortunately doesn't get it done for me. I really want to double that number. The good news is of the 5 who agree to have me stop by, 2 will not be there that day, but I can try again tomorrow, and the next day, when I'm back in the area. After a few days, it is very reasonable to have 10 people to attempt "meeting" with 5 to 6 new "meet and greets" scheduled each day.

My numbers are 1 in 4 people I speak with on the phone agree to me stopping out. Therefore, I need to talk to 20 to 25 people per day on the phone to make that work, about 100 dials in the morning (3 hours). If you live in a populated metro area, this is entirely possible to make it work. It builds momentum as you do it, but it feels like it doesn't work while doing the activity since you get so many not interested responses, but it always has for me in the past. This is one method to generate a local, long term clientele for a life agent. It does seem to get easier at times as more referrals come in and repeat sales to current clients, however, getting new clients always has remained a constant grind.

Matt, I've been on the forum since '09 and you consistently post good info. Thanks

Full Throttle: Do you say 'Hi ____ my names _____ the local insurance advisor in the _____ area?' then go into I would like to stop by this afternoon.........

Just tried a couple, and the people are really receptive. Thanks for the advice FT :)

Last edited:
Back