Common Objections

Ok guys I dont remember in the last 6 placing a 1 "DRY APP" with any of my companies. My IMO is here, and he can correct me if I am wrong. I still ask for the bank account information when I get to it on the app, and 99% of the time they give it to me, and when I walk out of the house after handling that objection I have everything signed and paramed scheduled if possible. It is a way to handle the objection and move along to the contract...

If they won't give me a check for the 1st payment or permission to draft it I walk. If they have no "skin in the game" they usually won't take it anyway. Even if they agree to a paramed (I write a lot of non med though) and they have no financial committment I don't consider that a true sale.

You do want to make sure they see the value in it though
and your not just being pushy.

Pull them in with value.

I agree 100% with the concept of highlighting the "value" of the products we sell. If there's no value, then how do we sleep at night?? We might as well sell them a pet rock! (Those were the days). We all know there's great value to having a good life insurance policy in place. However, many people do not; otherwise, they wouldn't hesitate in most cases, to take our advice and act accordingly. Therefore, it IS our job to portray this very important part of the equation in our delivery of the proposal.

One way that Mike is doing this is to say "Let's see if we can get you approved first, then go from there". For some, that may not be the phrase of choice, and frankly it isn't for me either. But it doesn't make it wrong. As for me, I typically counter that objection before they even have a chance to speak it. I begin my conversation with them, by highlighting what the overall objective is, using the following statement:

"Our goal here is to assess your current situation, as it relates to your ability to provide for your loved ones, presently and futuristically. Additionally, we will look at all options available, which includes obtaining some firm numbers BEFORE you make a FINAL decision. Once we have the final proposals and plan of strategy laid out in detail, you can then choose whether or not you want to finalize the transaction. I am sure you'll agree that this is a very important decision, and I want to ensure that you have ALL the answers to your questions, in order to be able to make an informed decision. My goal is to walk beside you every step of the way to keep this a very smooth and simple process. With that said, do you have any initial questions before we begin?...."

Now, you'll notice two things here. First, I highlighted that we need all questions answered, (including what the final rate is) so that an informed decision could be made. Second, I highlighted that I would walk beside them EVERY step of the way, to keep things simple. This sets the tone up front that there will NOT be any "let us go off in our own separate huddle and think about it". I must assume the role as the third wheel, but like on a tricycle, a wheel which is definitely needed at all times.

Lastly, Mike, you are correct....I cannot remember a dry app coming from you. However, for all we know, you probably put the fear of God into these folks (literally!!!).

Everyone has different opinions, and strategies that work for them. However, in this industry, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to portraying the importance of the products we provide. Notice, I didn't say "sell". We provide a product today, so that our clients can provide for their families tomorrow. Never forget that, folks.

In my last stint in management, I had someone who shared your philosophy. After the insurance company started charging him for parameds and inspection reports for cases that didn't place he changed his philosophy.

If someone wants to sell policies like they were Kirby vacuum cleaners I suppose this approach is ok.

Well I bet I write more business than you.

I placed $40,000 in premium in the last 3 months.

So bleep you...

Well I bet I write more business than you.

I placed $40,000 in premium in the last 3 months.

So bleep you...
LOL! :D I guess next you're going to say something bad about my mama. And I assume since you're bragging about your production, you must believe it's an impressive accomplishment.

I agree 100% with the concept of highlighting the "value" of the products we sell. If there's no value, then how do we sleep at night?? We might as well sell them a pet rock! (Those were the days). We all know there's great value to having a good life insurance policy in place. However, many people do not; otherwise, they wouldn't hesitate in most cases, to take our advice and act accordingly. Therefore, it IS our job to portray this very important part of the equation in our delivery of the proposal.

One way that Mike is doing this is to say "Let's see if we can get you approved first, then go from there". For some, that may not be the phrase of choice, and frankly it isn't for me either. But it doesn't make it wrong. As for me, I typically counter that objection before they even have a chance to speak it. I begin my conversation with them, by highlighting what the overall objective is, using the following statement:

"Our goal here is to assess your current situation, as it relates to your ability to provide for your loved ones, presently and futuristically. Additionally, we will look at all options available, which includes obtaining some firm numbers BEFORE you make a FINAL decision. Once we have the final proposals and plan of strategy laid out in detail, you can then choose whether or not you want to finalize the transaction. I am sure you'll agree that this is a very important decision, and I want to ensure that you have ALL the answers to your questions, in order to be able to make an informed decision. My goal is to walk beside you every step of the way to keep this a very smooth and simple process. With that said, do you have any initial questions before we begin?...."

Now, you'll notice two things here. First, I highlighted that we need all questions answered, (including what the final rate is) so that an informed decision could be made. Second, I highlighted that I would walk beside them EVERY step of the way, to keep things simple. This sets the tone up front that there will NOT be any "let us go off in our own separate huddle and think about it". I must assume the role as the third wheel, but like on a tricycle, a wheel which is definitely needed at all times.

Lastly, Mike, you are correct....I cannot remember a dry app coming from you. However, for all we know, you probably put the fear of God into these folks (literally!!!).

Everyone has different opinions, and strategies that work for them. However, in this industry, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to portraying the importance of the products we provide. Notice, I didn't say "sell". We provide a product today, so that our clients can provide for their families tomorrow. Never forget that, folks.

Jason, I honestly like your approach here! And, I agree that we all have to find what works the best for us and be natural.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If they won't give me a check for the 1st payment or permission to draft it I walk. If they have no "skin in the game" they usually won't take it anyway. Even if they agree to a paramed (I write a lot of non med though) and they have no financial committment I don't consider that a true sale.

Same here...I will ask them very directly four questions when they wont give me the money...

1. Do you see the need for this product?

2. Do you agree that this is something you need to purchase now and not wait?

3. If You don't have the money today, when will you have the money, and I will come back at that time?

4. While I am packing up my stuff Mr. & Mrs.______, here is a pen and paper....I need to get 3 names and phone numbers of your closest friends and family so that I can provide them with a free family planning guide....----You have to walk away with something, don't you?

Last edited:
Assuming you have had a few objections and now they say "I need to think about it".

My response:

Mr. and Mrs. Jones, I have been doing this for a long time, meeting with folks just like yourself and I can tell you that right now is the closest you will ever come to making this decision. The worst thing that can happen is a decline of coverage. NOW is the best time to give it a try. (then shut up..........maybe slide a pen and app their way)

I assume the sale and ask. I have also read 1 out of 4 people won't stop you if you start writing.

We sold a policy the other evening and the guy was sorta unsure. (he was 50% closed) My agent buddy started writing out the app and asking questions and the guy was very thankful when we were done.

ON A SIDE NOTE..........this is one reason I would be afraid to go paperless. I don't like pulling apps out at the end. Some folks are app scared. I try and get it out early and set it where they can see it. Then all I have to do is move it in their direction at some point or start writing. I go to pulling it out and you lose flow.

Last edited:
Assuming you have had a few objections and now they say "I need to think about it".

My response:

Mr. and Mrs. Jones, I have been doing this for a long time, meeting with folks just like yourself and I can tell you that right now is the closest you will ever come to making this decision. The worst thing that can happen is a decline of coverage. NOW is the best time to give it a try. (then shut up..........maybe slide a pen and app their way)

I assume the sale and ask. I have also read 1 out of 4 people won't stop you if you start writing.

We sold a policy the other evening and the guy was sorta unsure. (he was 50% closed) My agent buddy started writing out the app and asking questions and the guy was very thankful when we were done.

ON A SIDE NOTE..........this is one reason I would be afraid to go paperless. I don't like pulling apps out at the end. Some folks are app scared. I try and get it out early and set it where they can see it. Then all I have to do is move it in their direction at some point or start writing. I go to pulling it out and you lose flow.

I don't pull the app out at the end. It is sitting on the table along with the outline of coverage that I use to explain the benefits of the program. Those are the only two things on the table.

When I sense that they are ready for me to close, I simply say, "I just need to see your Medicare card to get this started". When they hand it to me I start filling out the app. The smoothest, most non threatening close I have ever used.

I don't ask for a decision, whether or not they want it or a signature.

I don't sell the a lot of life insurance now, but would be curious what the results would be if you had the client do the application themselves and you just have an app ready with the "x's" in the right spots. You basically guide them through the process.

Do any of you do this? I do a lot of insurance over the phone, so I don't write so much as type or email the app to them. Curious as to what you life guys think.

I don't sell the a lot of life insurance now, but would be curious what the results would be if you had the client do the application themselves and you just have an app ready with the "x's" in the right spots. You basically guide them through the process.

Do any of you do this? I do a lot of insurance over the phone, so I don't write so much as type or email the app to them. Curious as to what you life guys think.

I would never let a Med Supp prospect fill out the app by themselves.

I have known agents who can't do it and get it right. :twitchy:

I would never let the client fill out the app, no matter whether it is for Med Supps or life or any other kind of insurance.

Back