Dental Fees- Customary and Reasonable charges website for consumers?

Two companies, MetLife and I think Delta, offered coverage to veterans who were already in the VA system. I went w MetLife because my dentist is in their network. They had 2 options, I went w the higher that has a $3k annual max, being an escaped dental patient, moi. I pay $107 monthly for myself and wife. Two cleanings a year w no copay, etc. the network pricing makes it worthwhile. Interestingly, the dentist told me he wouldn’t join UHC’s network because they pay too little.

This was a pilot program started about three years ago. I assume it is sustainable for MetLife because they haven’t ended it.

Looking at some MetLife dental coverage this week--not the Veteran policy--and in plan details they limit crowns to 1 per tooth every 10 years. This is more restrictive than some other plans. I can't remember rates now, but I think some other carriers in a similar price range use every 5 years on crowns.

Under fillings it says this:
- Amalgam and resin initial placement
- Replacement once every 24 months per tooth

It looks to me like that could be a problem for a person that has multiple old fillings in several teeth. I am uncertain about that, but I don't think I would want to take a chance.

Latest posts

Back