Did I Handle this Med Supp Issue the Wrong Way?

You handled it the wrong way. You need to get her back on the Humana gold plan asap, and quit fiddling around with these supp carriers, until the fall.
Unless there's an SEP how's she going to get Humana Gold back short of calling Medicare and throwing agent under da bus?:nah:

Unless there's an SEP how's she going to get Humana Gold back short of calling Medicare and throwing agent under da bus?:nah:

Relax guys. ANY enrollment can be stopped if it's cancelled prior to the proposed effective date. Sadly, Continntal Life declined my friend after reviewing the results of sleep study. She admitted to me that she has sleep apnea and was OK with remaining on Humana Gold Plus for a bit longer until the AEP.

Speaking of ht & wt, I had a lady declined a few years ago because she wasn't heavy enough. So accustomed to checking wt when they tip 200# that just neglected to look when she told me she 5'0" and 89 pounds. One of the few people I met in person. She was 86 and sharp as a tack. Reminded me of my grandmother and about the same size.

Equitable turned her down because she was a pound under the limit under their catch and release guidelines.

On the other end of the spectrum, I submitted an app to New Era last year on a lady that was 20# over published tables with other carriers. New Era doesn't ask ht & wt on their app so I thought I might be good to go.

Turns out they ask in the underwriting interview.

Approved her any way.
Years ago, I learned from a very savvy underwriter that someone too thin almost always indicates a lung problem.

Underwriting guesses based on "almost" isn't real underwriting. But if that works for you, great.

Underwriting guesses based on "almost" isn't real underwriting. But if that works for you, great.
It doesn't work for me. Just letting agents know to 'watch out' if they have a skinny one and the company they're looking at doesn't show a minimum height and weight.

Speaking of ht & wt, I had a lady declined a few years ago because she wasn't heavy enough. So accustomed to checking wt when they tip 200# that just neglected to look when she told me she 5'0" and 89 pounds. One of the few people I met in person. She was 86 and sharp as a tack. Reminded me of my grandmother and about the same size.

Equitable turned her down because she was a pound under the limit under their catch and release guidelines.

On the other end of the spectrum, I submitted an app to New Era last year on a lady that was 20# over published tables with other carriers. New Era doesn't ask ht & wt on their app so I thought I might be good to go.

Turns out they ask in the underwriting interview.

Approved her any way.

New Era asks height and weight so they know if they are eligible for their pre approved life offer to be included with their med supp policy if approved. They do have height/weight chart on that.I actually had a 500.00 deposit a few months ago where someone accepted the offer after they received the policy. It was a nice surprise.

New Era asks height and weight so they know if they are eligible for their pre approved life offer to be included with their med supp policy if approved. They do have height/weight chart on that.I actually had a 500.00 deposit a few months ago where someone accepted the offer after they received the policy. It was a nice surprise.

New Era does not ask height and weight on their Med Supp app. At least not in Georgia. Neither does Philadelphia American in Alabama.

New Era does not ask height and weight on their Med Supp app. At least not in Georgia. Neither does Philadelphia American in Alabama.
That's correct.

What I was trying to say there but didn't make myself clear was that during the med supp PHI the underwriter asks on the phone interview the applicants height and weight. They do not ask on the application nor is it considered for underwriting they only ask that n the phone interview to know if they can offer the pre approved life insurance or not if the medicare supplement is approved.

Back