Digital or Paper Files

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Guys I have been going back and fourth about this, more or less because it will take a lot of time to do initially.

I have been thinking of getting rid of my paper files and just scan everything in my computer since when I go on appointments my client files usually have copied past policies sold or service work forms that were done in the past. I like to print out illustrations just to show but I am not sure if it is worth keeping paper files or go digital???

My file cabinet is busting at the seams and it has been a pain keeping everything organized with all the paper.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I definitely recommend going paperless.
Mark Rosenthal posted a great tip on an excellent scanner, but it's in the $500 range. It is fast and scans both sides, but is pricey:
This is the scanner I used at my office.

I use an all-in-one laser printer/scanner and it works just find.
It's just important to make sure your all-in-one has an ADF(automatic document feeder) where it can handle at least 20 sheets at one time. Also, make sure it can turn those documents into PDF files.

It's quite annoying to most folks you have to send documents to when you're sending them as 10+ "JPG", otherwise known as PICTURE files. Having the ability to put all of the documents you're scanning at once into one PDF file is essential.

Lastly, I would highly recommend multiple backup systems for your machine. Using Dropbox and it's shared folder is an excellent first step, since all of your documents are not only backed up online - they're also available on all of your machines and your cell phone, I-Pad, etc. This has come in VERY handy over the past few years when you need to get particulars from a client while in the field or on a weekend.

Using a commercial backup (See: Disaster-Proof Your Data with Online Backup - The Best Online Backup Services | Roundup | PCMag.com) is a definite necessity, as well. These services can back up all of your important files in the background without any effort on your part. They're encrypted for security and available for recall in the event of a disaster.

But yes.. digitizing your documents is much better than having an increasing store of paper!

Guys I have been going back and fourth about this, more or less because it will take a lot of time to do initially.

I have been thinking of getting rid of my paper files and just scan everything in my computer since when I go on appointments my client files usually have copied past policies sold or service work forms that were done in the past. I like to print out illustrations just to show but I am not sure if it is worth keeping paper files or go digital???

My file cabinet is busting at the seams and it has been a pain keeping everything organized with all the paper.

I feel you're pain. We took 5 bins to ARC for shredding this morning. I have 4 4 drawers that are just about stuffed. I too keep illustrations. Not only what they took but what they said no to. takes up a lot of room. My duplex printer helps but still.

I feel you're pain.

I just saw this awesome deal (Free) from a highly rated new company in the online backup space.. it's MiMedia online backup.

They give you 7 Gigabytes of backup for FREE.

You can choose to backup only your documents that you'll be scanning and that 7 gigabytes will go a long way!

Here's their link:
Get 7 GB Free or save 10% with promo code FRIEND10. I'm inviting you to try MiMedia

Digital. And where in the rule book does it say you must scan all of your old files? Many of them will be obsolete in 5 years anyway.

I use Nito PDF and a small program called Back Up Maker.
(not yet allowed to post URLs) ascomp.de/index.php?php=prog&prog=backupmaker

Keep an offsite data base for uploading as well as at least 2 local HDD.

Makes life much easier.

I'm old school. Only paper files.
I can get up from my desk, walk to the filing cabinet, pull a file, and find what I'm looking for, far faster than digital.

DS4 said:
I can get up from my desk, walk to the filing cabinet, pull a file, and find what I'm looking for, far faster than digital.

Depends on how you file....I have mine set up like a filing cabinet Main folder Clients under clients is folders A,B,C etc inside the letter folder are the client folders Smith, John and I name the file name yearmonthday then description such as:
20120831 MNL Paragon Plus App 403b roller to IRA.

how is that faster than being at ur desk and clicking your mouse 4 times?

Digital is also way more cost effective. For about 200 policies I've not even finished 1 ream of paper and am still on the original ink cartridges that came with my printer

I use a program called primopdf. It allows me to generate and print directly to pdf and email away. Great for closing deals from all over the state.

how is that faster than being at ur desk and clicking your mouse 4 times?

Digital is also way more cost effective. For about 200 policies I've not even finished 1 ream of paper and am still on the original ink cartridges that came with my printer

I use a program called primopdf. It allows me to generate and print directly to pdf and email away. Great for closing deals from all over the state.

This! I can do business anywhere in the state as long as the client can receive emails, print and scan. If scanning is not available, snail mail is the back up. Go digital!

What do you guys keep in your digital files? I feel like I keep a lot of waste in my files and I use gmail contacts for notes so really the only time I ever need to look at the files is when I go on appointments and basically it's to carry illustrations and old paperwork.

Back