Does It Pay to Use Yellow Pages to Advertise

I have the site set up to keep them separate, advertising HIPAA on the individual side and spousal group on the small group side.

Most of my leads come in for one or the other then I look at the situation to see which option would work best, now and down the road.

Most people have not looked at both but have bookmarked my site so I direct them to the other area when appropriate so that they can research the idea.

I get a few underwritten every month, but try not to do too many of those (I don't push it on my site) since underwriting is almost always a big ? if someone is over a certain age.

The yellow pages are more profitable if you're selling a commodity - like P&C insurance, auto repair, plumbing services, etc.

This is true. I kept getting calls for Auto insurance from what I thought was an "old ad" and didn't realize the yellow page people still had me under auto in the phone book.

When you make changes with ATT it takes an act of congress to get them implemented. Believe it or not, though, I actually sold a health policy from that tiny ad under auto. I think the guy called me from a payphone.

He dropped the policy and then called me back a year later to re-write. He dropped it again. No harm done, I would definitely keep a yellow page ad for auto.

The "Yellow Pages" has become a generic term, like "Coke" or "Kleenex".
There are alternatives, like local yellow books(some are put out by charities) and The Talking Phone Book....that are much cheaper and end up in the same homes and businesses.

Like others have mentioned here...they are becoming obsolete...but, it does depend on your market. If you do insurance for older people...they probably still use the yellow pages.

And it does establish a "local presence" for people looking for personal P&C lines.Buying ad space in a neighboring town and having a phone number with the local exchange makes a lot of people think you are a local

Last edited:
They don't look at Yellow pages anymore. More and more people are online now. I found this cool tool thats gets any business and including Insurance Companies massive exposure.

I think I'm going to take my Yellow Pages book and see how it holds up to my new Russian Saiga Shotgun with the 20 round drum and slugs.

Good idea!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The "Yellow Pages" has become a generic term, like "Coke" or "Kleenex".
There are alternatives, like local yellow books(some are put out by charities) and The Talking Phone Book....that are much cheaper and end up in the same homes and businesses.

Like others have mentioned here...they are becoming obsolete...but, it does depend on your market. If you do insurance for older people...they probably still use the yellow pages.

And it does establish a "local presence" for people looking for personal P&C lines.Buying ad space in a neighboring town and having a phone number with the local exchange makes a lot of people think you are a local

We have a local Yellow Book put out by an independent. It is incomplete and you cannot find half of what you need in it. When I get this book the first thing I always do is throw it in the trash.

Last edited:
They don't look at Yellow pages anymore. More and more people are online now. I found this cool tool thats gets any business and including Insurance Companies massive exposure.

Is there a reason why you are not sharing that with us?

Is this something you are selling?

Or is it because, due to the ammunition shortage, you don't have 9,000 rounds of ammo to shoot us all after you tell us? :D

Back