• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Does losing VA coverage, while covered under MA....

You seem to be saying that when you say that income is used only to determine copay portions or priority groups. Excessive income may also make a veteran ineligible to enroll.

No, once again, money has nothing to do with eligibility. If it did I wouldn't have access to VA care, I can tell you that!

AFTER they are eligible and enroll, their income will be assessed to see if they are capable of paying copays (if they are in a group that even has copays).

AFTER they are eligible and enroll, their income will be assessed to see if they are capable of paying copays (if they are in a group that even has copays).

This is not true. Priority group 8 is composed of higher income veterans. Some individuals placed in priority group 8 are NOT allowed to enroll so the question of whether they are willing or able to make copays never comes up.

This is not true. Priority group 8 is composed of higher income veterans. Some individuals placed in priority group 8 are NOT allowed to enroll so the question of whether they are willing or able to make copays never comes up.

Okay, I give up trying to help you understand. Let's just say you're correct and you always have been.

If you are a veteran and you have money and you still use Veterans for your health care you are nuts.

Like other things, that may be case by case, person by person. I think relatively healthy veterans on Medicare, who also happen to be at irmaa income levels, could get a pretty good benefit from being in the VA health system just from not having to buy PDP with irmaa penalties. Paying cash or goodrx prices for a few generic prescriptions should still generate a significant savings.

If you are a veteran and you have money and you still use Veterans for your health care you are nuts.
I agree 100% with this statement. I don't know about other parts of the US, but the VA physician in my town is a jerk. There is no way this Dr would make it in private practice. The only people I know of that use the VA have little or no income. They have no other choice for their health care. Anyone with any $$$ is going to skip the VA.
BTW LostDollar, you can call me collect when you run into a vet that pays the IRMAA tax! That is funny right there!

I agree 100% with this statement. I don't know about other parts of the US, but the VA physician in my town is a jerk. There is no way this Dr would make it in private practice. The only people I know of that use the VA have little or no income. They have no other choice for their health care. Anyone with any $$$ is going to skip the VA.
BTW LostDollar, you can call me collect when you run into a vet that pays the IRMAA tax! That is funny right there!

some retired officers and senior enlisted men?

Okay, I give up trying to help you understand. Let's just say you're correct and you always have been.

No, once again, money has nothing to do with eligibility. If it did I wouldn't have access to VA care, I can tell you that!

Particularly with remarks generated elsewhere, I regret the communication difficulties we are having over this issue.

You cited your personal experience earlier.

The Congressional Budget Office, The American Legion and the Veterans Administration all say income is a factor in enrolling in VA health care.

That is also consistent with my personal experience in 2016 and tonight.

I just went through the VA Health Benefits Explorer tonight as a double check on my earlier 2016 experience. The result is below.
Notice that it includes the following words:
we cannot enroll you in VA Health Care at this time due to your income exceeding the established income thresholds for enrollment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not Eligible
Based on the information you provided, it appears we cannot enroll you in VA Health Care at this time due to your income exceeding the established income thresholds for enrollment. Although you might not be eligible for enrollment at this time, VA strongly encourages you to apply now. This will allow VA to automatically reassess your application information if there is a change to the Public Law or other qualifying criteria is met. If your status changes, you will be notified by the VA of the change and its effects on your enrollment. You may apply for enrollment by completing the online 1010EZ Form. Note: If your household income decreases or allowable deductible expenses increases after you apply for enrollment, you are encouraged to update your financial assessment by submitting VA Form 10-10EZR, “Health Benefits Renewal Form” so your copay status and enrollment priority group may be reassessed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New people coming into the VA system are subject to a means test. When I enrolled in 1985 I was given the option of taking a means test or paying copays. I decided I would rather pay copays than have some GS-5 poking around in my finances. I have never been asked to take a means test since then. Sadly, you are both right.

Back