Doing presentations for Medicare.

Just go to Office Depot. They can show you exactly what you are looking for. Just something like this. Viewsonic PA503S 3D Ready DLP Projector by Office Depot & OfficeMax

I’ve done a lot of those educational seminars. You can make them educational and somewhat interesting using PowerPoint. The key is to NOT have a bunch of words on a screen. Have pictures and few words and YOU talking and looking at your audience not the screen.

Engage them. Ask them questions each time you teach them a point. For instance right after I would spend 5-minutes teaching them in detail how Medicare’s fee for service network works and how Supplements fit into that, throw a question at them. Stop talking. Make them think and respond and test if they understood what you just taught them.

So just have a picture of a senior scratching their head looking confused. Tell them: Mr. and Mrs Smith currently have a Medigap Plan G policy from a well known insurer. But they have found out another insurance company has a Plan G that is priced $50 less. What steps to they need to take to make certain the new Plan G would be accepted by their favorite doctors?

Making points like that sinks the knowledge in much better and is less boring than a guy just talking for an hour.
Thank you for the info. Will definitely keep all that in mind.

Everything is pretty much set up, it's also good with CMS. I just needed advice on a projector.

You missed the point.

A slick presentation won't overcome an ineffective speaker or boring speech.

As others have pointed out, a projector or other fancy equipment is not a necessity

Good luck.

You don't have to have a projector nor power point presentation. I have done them with a handout that they can follow along with, for both educational and sales/mktg. I know some agents that have a 1 page handout, some that claim they give out nothing and just get up and talk.
The tricky part is getting folks engaged and responsive to your message, by projecting expertise in the subject matter, and having them trust you. I would make sure you weave some humor into the presentation....this chit is as dry as petrified dinosaur turds

I too have just used handouts but depending on how many show up and how many seminar's are scheduled the projector may cost less in the long run. It's easier to let the projector do your presentation and then answer questions. But you have to know what you're talking about, if all else fails get a top hat, cane and tap shoes.

Last edited:
I have conducted seminars and presentations for Medicare and never used any AV equipment it really isn't necessary if your budget is tight. You can make it work with somein color simple printed hand outs.

You really should have a projector with a very good presentation handouts just don't go over as well and senior that are trying to learn medicare definitely would prefer to see it on the screen versus handouts just as important as handouts is some type of follow up or some type of lead capture a valuation form which can be used if it's a medicare 101

You really should have a projector with a very good presentation handouts just don't go over as well and senior that are trying to learn medicare definitely would prefer to see it on the screen versus handouts just as important as handouts is some type of follow up or some type of lead capture a valuation form which can be used if it's a medicare 101

I’m going to do medicare 101 for T65’s in January but how can you do a lead capture? Well unless it’s a sales event which I couldn’t imagine having to notify CMS all the time. That’s why I was going to do educational

I’m going to do medicare 101 for T65’s in January but how can you do a lead capture? Well unless it’s a sales event which I couldn’t imagine having to notify CMS all the time. That’s why I was going to do educational

What do you mean "how can you do lead capture"? At the event or marketing the event to get people to RSVP?

The new CMS marketing guidelines allows you to pass out business cards, pass out reply cards, pass out communication materials, set up appointments, get SOAs, etc.

Just no sales activity and don't pass out enrollment forms.
-----
Regarding registering educational events...

CMS doesn't require it, but some carriers do.

UHC does.
Aetna does.
Not sure if Humana does as well.
Not sure about othes either.

Pretty sure UHC won't give you commissions for any business you write that stemmed from an unregistered educational event.

It's rather absurd that carriers require registering for educational events when CMS doesn't.

If it is something I really need the information about, a handout is nice to have for take home, but I find it easier to follow during the presentation if I can be looking up during the presentation and just do slight horizontal head and eye movement between the speaker and a chart, diagram or picture on screen rather than the up and down movements required for looking back and forth between speaker and a handout in my lap. (That assumes that the technical issues are properly dealt with and the speaker does not have to continually apologize for video quality or refer you to the handouts because the screen pic is cut off on the edges. This type of thing was a continual problem during spring Shepherds Center presentations here when presenters would try to be mating their laptops with projection equipment provided by the church hosting the event. That would be death for someone trying to look professional and do an effective sales related presentation.)

Back