Doing presentations for Medicare.

Most of my business is from doing seminars. I have a KIT which includes laptop, projector, HDMI cables, extension cords, duct tape to tape down cords, 4x6 reply cards where the attendee can fill out their contact info and circle the product they want to talk about. I also blew up each slide into a laminated poster size and use an easel to display if I ever have a situation where technical difficulties prevent use of the electronics.

We have a Medicare 101 seminar that I co-host with a local attorney to educate on Medicare, Med Supps, Med Advantage while the attorney talks about wills, probate and estate planning. I finish out with tying the loose ends with Life, Annuities, and Funeral Plans. Everything is generic and no companies are named or quotes given. If they want an evaluation they must fill out the card.

We have a College Funding Seminar and talk about 529 plans vs using life insurance and the impact of each on FAFSA application. A CPA works with us on these seminars. Again they must fill out reply card for an evaluation.

We also are starting a Qualify for Medicaid and Understanding Medicaid Spend Down seminar. We have touched on these topics and have request for more info from attendees.

I'm able to close 40% of the leads and it usually includes multiple sales Life, Medicare, Rollovers, Cancer, Hospital Indemnity, etc.and they freely give us referrals.

Most of my business is from doing seminars. I have a KIT which includes laptop, projector, HDMI cables, extension cords, duct tape to tape down cords, 4x6 reply cards where the attendee can fill out their contact info and circle the product they want to talk about. I also blew up each slide into a laminated poster size and use an easel to display if I ever have a situation where technical difficulties prevent use of the electronics.

We have a Medicare 101 seminar that I co-host with a local attorney to educate on Medicare, Med Supps, Med Advantage while the attorney talks about wills, probate and estate planning. I finish out with tying the loose ends with Life, Annuities, and Funeral Plans. Everything is generic and no companies are named or quotes given. If they want an evaluation they must fill out the card.

We have a College Funding Seminar and talk about 529 plans vs using life insurance and the impact of each on FAFSA application. A CPA works with us on these seminars. Again they must fill out reply card for an evaluation.

We also are starting a Qualify for Medicaid and Understanding Medicaid Spend Down seminar. We have touched on these topics and have request for more info from attendees.

I'm able to close 40% of the leads and it usually includes multiple sales Life, Medicare, Rollovers, Cancer, Hospital Indemnity, etc.and they freely give us referrals.

You close 40% of the people who come to the events or 40% of the leads that you get from the events?

How do you get people to the events?

What's you're follow-up system like? Before and after the event?

Do you register the Medicare events? I know it's educational so CMS doesn't require it, but some carriers do.

What do you mean "how can you do lead capture"? At the event or marketing the event to get people to RSVP?

The new CMS marketing guidelines allows you to pass out business cards, pass out reply cards, pass out communication materials, set up appointments, get SOAs, etc.

Just no sales activity and don't pass out enrollment forms.
-----
Regarding registering educational events...

CMS doesn't require it, but some carriers do.

UHC does.
Aetna does.
Not sure if Humana does as well.
Not sure about othes either.

Pretty sure UHC won't give you commissions for any business you write that stemmed from an unregistered educational event.

It's rather absurd that carriers require registering for educational events when CMS doesn't.

I’ve literaly never seen any of that and I highly doubt they changed it.
During an educational event you cannot hand out biz cards, collect SOA, etc.
you may only give out a biz card to someone specifically asks for one.
But if you have links otherwise I’d love for it to be true.

I think there was a change in that for this year, but I don't have links.

I just bought a used Garmin 530 for my airplane. I didn't upgrade to waas.

What do you think of that decision?

Rick
I don't know what Garmin and waas are. If they are house locating stuff, I doubt if they will be much use for sales calls unless your airplane is a VTOL type plane.

check the CMS marketing guidelines... the newer one... they changed some of the rules

50 - Outreach Activities
50.1 – Educational Events
42 CFR §§ 422.2262, 422.2268(b)(7),(8), and (11),423.2262, 423.2268(b)(7),(8), and (11)
Educational events are designed to inform beneficiaries about Medicare Advantage, Prescription Drug, or other Medicare programs. Educational events:
 Must be explicitly advertised as educational;
 May be hosted in a public venue by the Plan/Part D sponsor or an outside entity;
 May include communication activities and distribution of communication materials;
 May answer beneficiary initiated questions;
 May set up a future marketing appointment, and distribute business cards and contact information for beneficiaries to initiate contact (this includes completing and collecting a Scope of Appointment (SOA) form);
 Must not include marketing or sales activities or distribution of marketing materials or enrollment forms; and
 May not conduct a marketing/sales event immediately following an educational event in the same general location (e.g., same hotel).

the problem is that some of the carriers require registering educational events, not CMS

So I guess anyone doing one has to register it with UHC, Aetna, etc.

Back