Elevator Speech

^ I hope not. The "elevator speech" is nothing more than what you say to someone when they ask what you do for a living; whether they ask that question at a party, on the golf course, in a bar, or wherever.

If I say "I sell life insurance" the usual response is "oh, I have enough!" which is fine, and what I expect from them.

My follow-up is "that's great, I'm glad to hear it. One of the things I do for clients is to spend a few minutes looking at what plans are in place and make sure that everything is up-to-date. Is there a time in the next week or two that we could sit down over a cup of coffee and I could review your plans?"

That usually works fairly well. I'll even tell them it's NOT a sales call, just a service I provide. Keep in mind that the average person who has life insurance has something along the lines $150,000 of coverage, and if you actually do some basic fact-finding it's easy to uncover additional needs.

I am going to guess, based on experience, that in my area it is closer to $50,000..not including their group insurance.

It's considered impolite to talk in an elevator, let alone give a speech. If you want to make money in an elevator, learn to pick pockets.

x2. If someone starts talking in an elevator, my reaction is to tell them t shut the f--k up. Of course, you need to live in an area where the buildings are higher than just two stories!:embarrassed:

^ I hope not. The "elevator speech" is nothing more than what you say to someone when they ask what you do for a living; whether they ask that question at a party, on the golf course, in a bar, or wherever.

I've never had to actually give the elevator pitch in an elevator. :D
But, that being said, it doesn't hurt to have a few quick points in your head about what you do. As someone else said before, just make it genuine, and don't sound rehearsed. It should just be natural conversation.

http://www.enhanceinsurance.com

Last edited:
x. Of course, you need to live in an area where the buildings are higher than just two stories!:embarrassed:

Leaves me out.. Wait, we have a 3 story hotel that has an elevator complete with an elevator operator.. Oh, just remembered it closed in 1978.. :no:

I've never had to actually give the elevator pitch in an elevator. :D

Finally, someone uses the correct Metaphor, I wondered how long everyone would keep saying elevator speech.

An elevator speech is quite different from the pitch. It's when someone is babbling drunk in a downtown parking garage elevator, after a night out, or all day on holidays.

My elevator pitch is simple and I don't mind sharing it "you wanna buy some insurance, I've got a bunch of apps right here, it'll only take a few minutes", if they say no, I ask them if they want to pawn something.

If I say "I sell life insurance" the usual response is "oh, I have enough!" which is fine, and what I expect from them.

My follow-up is "that's great, I'm glad to hear it. One of the things I do for clients is to spend a few minutes looking at what plans are in place and make sure that everything is up-to-date. Is there a time in the next week or two that we could sit down over a cup of coffee and I could review your plans?"

That usually works fairly well. I'll even tell them it's NOT a sales call, just a service I provide. Keep in mind that the average person who has life insurance has something along the lines $150,000 of coverage, and if you actually do some basic fact-finding it's easy to uncover additional needs.

That's not an elevator speech, that's more like a frat party
"i just puked on your shoes speech"

Finally, someone uses the correct Metaphor, I wondered how long everyone would keep saying elevator speech.

An elevator speech is quite different from the pitch. It's when someone is babbling drunk in a downtown parking garage elevator, after a night out, or all day on holidays.

My elevator pitch is simple and I don't mind sharing it "you wanna buy some insurance, I've got a bunch of apps right here, it'll only take a few minutes", if they say no, I ask them if they want to pawn something.

Sounds like a winner to me....:biggrin:

Here's how it's supposed to go down...

You let everyone else get on before you. That way you can stand in front of the door and look at everyone. This makes it difficult for them to turn their back on you, and it gives you the added benefit of blocking their only exit.

"So, I guess you're all wondering why I called this meeting...."

Back