Enrollment confusion

It's simply using Medicare's form 40B. You have to use it during Medicare's GEP which is January 1 through March 31. And unless they've changed it, coverage starts on July 1st.

Yes, you have to pay the 10% and LEP penalties.

As far as another open enrollment, the answer is yes. But it's at the company level. It has nothing to do with Medicare and Social Security.

All supplement enrollments revolve around part B. Not part A and not your age. Companies only look at the part B date on the application. They don't ask if you've had part B before.

So person requests to drop Part B, waits x amount of months, asks to be enrolled in Part B again, then sign up for supplement? I just surprised there’s nothing that prohibits this

So person requests to drop Part B, waits x amount of months, asks to be enrolled in Part B again, then sign up for supplement? I just surprised there’s nothing that prohibits this
Pretty much. I've used it several times with no problems. Just a weak link in the chain.

Ok Im thoroughly confused at the Medicare enrollment timelines. Is this all correct? Looking for a little guidance here please.

1. You have your turning 65 enrollment, which is 3 months before, month of, and three months after you turn 65, so 7 months to enroll in medicare if you dont have group coverage.

2. Then you have a medigap enrollment period, which is 6 months long and starts when you turn 65. Is this 6 months ONLY when you turn 65? Or is it also 6 months if you delay part B and then sign up for Part B?

3. Then you have 8 months to enroll in medicare after you leave work if you delayed part B because of staying on work insurance. (So You can go without insurance for up to 8 entire months if you wanted to and not be penalized??)

BUT

4. If you sign up for Part B after you leave work after delaying part B, you only have 63 days to enroll in a Part D plan??

Is this all correct? If so, it makes no sense. Why would you have 8 months to enroll in Medicare after leaving work without penalty, but only 2 months to enroll in a Part D plan?

5. Also, what does Tricare have to do with Medicare enrollment? It says there is a special enrollment period that lasts 12 months if yo have tricare? So someone can delay enrolling in Medicare if they have tricare and then have 12 months to do it??

Caveat, not an agent.

A Texas agent who posts here famously says "It doesn't have to make sense, it's Medicare".

4. If you sign up for Part B after you leave work after delaying part B, you only have 63 days to enroll in a Part D plan??

Caveat, not an agent.

Back when I first saw your original post, I wondered if you were aware of distinctions between health coverage from active employment and health coverage from cobra as they related to getting Part B coverage and as they related to getting Part D coverage. If not, that's another issue you should do some reading on. Posts here suggest to me you will hit those issues eventually, if you haven't already.

Pretty much. I've used it several times with no problems. Just a weak link in the chain.

Honestly this would be perfect for a family member. They are getting worse and have a MAPD in a rural area that has a network the size of an acorn.

How long would you say to go without Part B then? Just until the GEP comes around?

Honestly this would be perfect for a family member. They are getting worse and have a MAPD in a rural area that has a network the size of an acorn.

How long would you say to go without Part B then? Just until the GEP comes around?
I would not and do not recommend it.

Each time I've used it was for a business owner that had lost his part B due to non payment. Each were paying quarterly because they had not started social security and were paying their part B premium directly.

I would not suggest it for someone that has their part B premium deducted from their SS check.

Rather I would suggest looking for a bigger acorn.

It's simply using Medicare's form 40B. You have to use it during Medicare's GEP which is January 1 through March 31. And unless they've changed it, coverage starts on July 1st.

Yes, you have to pay the 10% and LEP penalties.

As far as another open enrollment, the answer is yes. But it's at the company level. It has nothing to do with Medicare and Social Security.

All supplement enrollments revolve around part B. Not part A and not your age. Companies only look at the part B date on the application. They don't ask if you've had part B before.

That's an interesting angle that I've never considered before.

A couple of thoughts--

-They changed the July 1 effective date a year or two ago. Now Part B starts on the 1st of the month following Jan, Feb or Mar. So effective date of Feb, Mar or Apr.

- There wouldn't (shouldn't?) be a LEP assessed if the drop and restart happens within a 12-month timeframe, no?

They changed the July 1 effective date a year or two ago. Now Part B starts on the 1st of the month following Jan, Feb or Mar. So effective date of Feb, Mar or Apr.
That would be why the new form 40B doesn't specifically mention 7/1 like the old one did. Now that you mention it seems like I remember reading about the change.

As far as the LEP, I've seen it pan out both ways. A few I done are still waiting for the LEP to hit and I'm going back several years. Others, the LEP would hit usually around the second month.

But yes, should be a LEP plus penalty

That would be why the new form 40B doesn't specifically mention 7/1 like the old one did. Now that you mention it seems like I remember reading about the change.

As far as the LEP, I've seen it pan out both ways. A few I done are still waiting for the LEP to hit and I'm going back several years. Others, the LEP would hit usually around the second month.

But yes, should be a LEP plus penalty

God please you. The part B starting the following month for Jan -March 31st started in Jan 2023. No more waiting until 7/1. It’s just like if a person gets disenrolled from a csnp and returns to original Medicare for a month. If you rewrite them for the next month you get paid a full tru up as Medicare acts like they never had a mapd before and are coming from original Medicare .

God please you. The part B starting the following month for Jan -March 31st started in Jan 2023. No more waiting until 7/1. It’s just like if a person gets disenrolled from a csnp and returns to original Medicare for a month. If you rewrite them for the next month you get paid a full tru up as Medicare acts like they never had a mapd before and are coming from original Medicare .
What's God got to do with it?

Back