First Speeding Ticket in Texas

avip

I got my first speeding ticket here in Texas on the highway. 7 mph over and this is my first incident on my record. Im 19 with an older volvo with state farm limited liability insurance. Will 2 points affect my insurance rates? I've read to not report it to your insurance until it is found out on their record. Reason why I have not contacted them yet. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

I got my first speeding ticket here in Texas on the highway. 7 mph over and this is my first incident on my record. Im 19 with an older volvo with state farm limited liability insurance. Will 2 points affect my insurance rates? I've read to not report it to your insurance until it is found out on their record. Reason why I have not contacted them yet. Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

I believe moving violations with most companies will affect your rates.

You are required to report an accident right away, but with a ticket where there is no potential claim, there is no need to tell your insurance company, they will find out (eventually) on their own.

Rates will only change on renewals, part of the insurance company renewal process is to see if they need to pull a new MVR which in turn will trigger a rate change. They will notify you at that point and then you can see if its worth shopping the rate.

The good news is, they don't always pull an MVR on renewal, though, if you are 19, it is probably much more likely that they will. You might get by an extra 6 month policy cycle before it is picked up.

You should also check to see if they have a 'school' option where you can avoid having the ticket show up on your record (for insurance purposes) at all. If so, go that way.

Dan

Definitely take the school option. I know it has been offered in Texas in the past.

In parts of Tennessee, or maybe all, they also offer a deferment program. You go to court, plead guilty and if you don't get another ticket for six months they won't turn it into the state. You don't even pay for the ticket, just court costs and a state tax. That would definitely be something to look into as well.

Here at least, school was offered by the state courts and deferment by the city courts. I'd definitely look into it, you'll save a ton compared to once they finally find and surcharge you for the ticket.

Definitely take the school option. I know it has been offered in Texas in the past.

In parts of Tennessee, or maybe all, they also offer a deferment program. You go to court, plead guilty and if you don't get another ticket for six months they won't turn it into the state. You don't even pay for the ticket, just court costs and a state tax. That would definitely be something to look into as well.

Here at least, school was offered by the state courts and deferment by the city courts. I'd definitely look into it, you'll save a ton compared to once they finally find and surcharge you for the ticket.

My wife got caught speeding in Nashville last summer. She paid court costs and then paid for an on line safety course which she had to complete. That took care of the ticket with no blemish on the MVR. ;) State governments don't care about the insurance coffers they just want the money in their coffers. :yes:

My wife got caught speeding in Nashville last summer. She paid court costs and then paid for an on line safety course which she had to complete. That took care of the ticket with no blemish on the MVR. ;) State governments don't care about the insurance coffers they just want the money in their coffers. :yes:

The government that issued the ticket got paid, so they are happy.

Here in Memphis we are having a bit of a problem. The MPD issued something like 40,000 tickets in a two year period for going less than 10 over the speed limit, sometimes less than 5 over. 60% of those were dismissed by the court. Some of the judges are basically dismissing any ticket from certain officers.

It blows my mind to think how much time and money was wasted by the MPD writing tickets that were never going to stand up. But the MPD said flat out they would continue to write those tickets.

The government that issued the ticket got paid, so they are happy.

Here in Memphis we are having a bit of a problem. The MPD issued something like 40,000 tickets in a two year period for going less than 10 over the speed limit, sometimes less than 5 over. 60% of those were dismissed by the court. Some of the judges are basically dismissing any ticket from certain officers.

It blows my mind to think how much time and money was wasted by the MPD writing tickets that were never going to stand up. But the MPD said flat out they would continue to write those tickets.

What percentage of people take the time to contest the ticket and show up in court compared to those that just send a check. In regards time and money to write the tickets....Well the officer would have been on duty regardless of writing the ticket.

What percentage of people take the time to contest the ticket and show up in court compared to those that just send a check. In regards time and money to write the tickets....Well the officer would have been on duty regardless of writing the ticket.

Apparently at least 60% bothered to show up.

I'm not saying don't write speeding tickets, I'm saying don't write tickets that are pointless.

There are parts of town where traffic routinely goes 20+ over the speed limit. My son's school is right next to a precinct. The street is a one-way street at the start and end of the school day, but I see probably a cop a week turn on his lights so he can go against traffic to get into the back entrance.

There are so many more traffic violations waiting to be written than DWB/DWH at 4 over the speed limit.

Back