First Year Marketing

your selling insurance but don't like networking? pretty sure those go together is you want to be successful.

So does proper grammar :) Please don't take offense to that, couldn't help myself (you're instead of your and if instead of is - I am sure it was that dang auto-correct). In any case it is a valid point.

Personally, I am not a big fan of networking, but here I am at a trade show in San Antonio where I know no one and am a bit out of my comfort zone. I am very personable but it is difficult to strike up a conversation at the networking events, especially when the actual trade "show" (exhibiting times) hasn't begun and everyone seems to have someone else to talk to.

Find something outside of what you are selling to talk about as a start. Seems a bit counter-intuitive but it is how I manage to strike up a conversation. For me, I have a very unique watch (Suunto Core - it is an altimeter, barometer and compass, besides keeping time). I don't need it here but I wear it b/c I know at least 1 or 2 people will ask about it, as happened last night. Also, when I see someone wearing a bracelet fitness tracker (fit-bit, etc) it is very easy to ask what they think of it, why they use it and so on. Be creative and before you know it you'll be networking like a champ - its just another arrow in your sales quiver.

Back