• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

FLORIDA - 10 Health Insurers For The Exchange

Jerry has quoted me in about 10 articles over the past 7-8 yrs. Problem with this one is when you search on Bill Steffen (as it states in the article), I'm nowhere to be found. But if you search on William Steffen, I'm searchable.

If consumers read this, you can reach me at my current website Replace COBRA Health Insurance | Health Insurance Quotes for Florida health insurance exchange marketplace information. Or my cell 941 704 8148

--Florida Health Care Plan Inc..(HMO)
--Health Options Inc.(HMO)
--Molina Healthcare of Florida Inc.(HMO)
--Simply Healthcare Plans Inc.(HMO)
--Sunshine State Health Plan Inc.(HMO)
--Humana Health Insurance Co.(HMO)
--Aetna Life Insurance Co.
--Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Florida Inc.
--Cigna Health & Life Insurance Co.
--Coventry Health Care of Florida Inc. (HMO)
-------------------------
Blue expects to get the lionshare of business when the exchanges open-they already have at least 25-30% of the IFP market in Florida and are protecting agents of record for those who go from their current plans to a new metal plan.

Blue also thinks that most people that already have IFP will not qualify for subsidies, their number is 80% will be outside of the subsidy level, that's something I didn't expect to hear.

The rest of these is interesting in that Aetna now owns Coventry, I wonder if they will low ball pricing on Coventry (with a narrow network) to see if they can generate any real market share within the subsidy population.

I also expect Humana to be on the low side since their rates in Florida are very competitive-they are also being very aggressive in Underwriting, I had a 63 year old on cholesterol medication approved with no rate change (standard) in 2 hours today.

Other than Cigna, the rest of them are all small regionall insurers who operate mostly on the Medicare side now, they aren't going to be important for independent agents.

Last edited:
--Molina Healthcare of Florida Inc.(HMO)
--Simply Healthcare Plans Inc.(HMO)
--Sunshine State Health Plan Inc.(HMO)
--Humana Health Insurance Co.(HMO)
--Aetna Life Insurance Co.
--Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Florida Inc.
--Cigna Health & Life Insurance Co.
--Coventry Health Care of Florida Inc. (HMO)
-------------------------

So does anybody know if you assist someone on the "ACA Marketplace" and put in your CMS # , do you have to be contracted with that Co. if their plan pops up as best? Or do you just steer the client to the plans your contracted with? WTF? I also read in the MLN baloney you go to the Carrier's website and punch in your CMS# or something. Can't imagine having to contract with all these plans on short notice. Forgettttabbboutit!

You can choose to be with all or just one. If you have a quote engine, it will present all of the plans when someone runs their quote. If you do face to face or through email/over the phone etc. you can present only the plans you are contracted with. The only way you will be able to enroll anyone is electronically, so the best strategy for you would be to use your broker portals with the companies you are contracted with. Getting contracted doesn't take weeks of intensive labor, so I don't know why that would stop you.

So does anybody know if you assist someone on the "ACA Marketplace" and put in your CMS # , do you have to be contracted with that Co. if their plan pops up as best? Or do you just steer the client to the plans your contracted with? WTF? I also read in the MLN baloney you go to the Carrier's website and punch in your CMS# or something. Can't imagine having to contract with all these plans on short notice. Forgettttabbboutit!

I'm glad you think it's a problem, it isn't for me.

Thanks for the zero info post. I have 4 of the 10, just was wondering how it was going to work with the smaller cos.

I assume 3 of them are Cigna, Humana, Aetna.

Who is the 4th? BCBS or Coventry?

The other players are traditional medicaid players in only certain parts of the state, and they probably won't play with brokers anyways.

3 of those companies are BCBS and their affiliates. I believe these are them:

Thanks for the zero info post. I have 4 of the 10, just was wondering how it was going to work with the smaller cos.

Maybe if you would whine and complain less and simply ask for help or an opinion you would get it.

I had already told you what I thought in the post right above yours, if that isn't good enough for you it's too bad.

I'm just trying to learn as much as I can for myself and to help out my clients like everyone else. All the details aren't out yet. You don't have some "secret handshake" access. If I thought you answered my question I wouldn't have posted. All you said was you are going "to write this and that". Who cares? Write whatever you you want. I'm trying to determine the best for my area. You ain't no Obamacare expert. There aren't any yet.
Constructive discourse is all I am after. Perhaps, that's why we have the board.

Back