Getting Appointed with Credit Issues

Hey Shep, take a gander at health choice one if you haven't already... I've heard nothing but great things about them, and I'm in the same boat as you.... But the licensing lady there may be ableto help you get licensed there... no promises, just worth a look imo...

Need some help from you veterans out there...

I had a real estate business go under before I got into the insurance game and I'm having some trouble getting appointments with some of the carriers because of some of the credit issues that came out of that mess.:skeptical:

Can some of the more experienced guys give me some guidance here?

I was playing on a pretty big scale buying and selling houses and had more than a few that wouldnt sell when the market tanked and I practically went bankrupt (did not file) and am still cleaning up some of the stuff.

I've gotten some declined appointments, I THINK primarilly from 4 liens showing on my credit. None are for anything I actually owe- they are for small things like a trash bill in a city on a house I didnt own when it was attached, etc. Its just SUCH a pain in the arse dealing with government idiots trying to get them off my credit and I dont borrow money anymore so havent been too concerned with what my credit looks like.

I've also got a few chargeoffs totalling some real money- high 4 figures or so. My company owned 8 figures worth of real estate and had a monthly cash flow of $250,000 so looking at the dollars on the surface is a little skewered since I was dealing with some pretty big numbers. It actually took a lot of work to keep the numbers as low as they are.

ANYWAY, other than the stuff related to the business, my credit was good, and the situation can be explained, but I think I need someone in my corner when talking to these carriers(?). I'm new to the business, and am selling health insurance at a call center while I get this sorted out (YAWN), but really want to get into the life side and need to know a couple of things:

First, are there companies that I'd feel good about selling that will appoint me with the credit stuff hanging out there? I've got three for FE, and had to write letters about my credit on all of those but want to sell life and annuity. My game plan is to prospect small business owners (since I know a ton and relate well from running in those circles) and need to have the ammo to service them...
I've been turned down by allianz, Aviva, & American Equity so stopped my efforts.

Second, is there a way to work under someone else's appointment as I get this stuff cleaned up like I'm currently doing with health? Basically, I still dont understand how brokerage channels/FMO's, IMO's, etc. work. I'm trying to stay indie, but its obvious I need a mentor of some sort.

As a side note, I'm perfectly content to work as earned on everything I do, I just want to be able to offer the right products for my customer base.

Also, I'm licensed in 42 states, but live in Georgia if that makes any difference.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So, shepnerd, how has the appointment issue impacted you since 2011? I am a captive agent and will be going independent soon. I want to get set up with Anthem, UHC, Humana, etc. and was wondering if these companies gave you issues. Thanks for any help you can provide.

So how have you fared since you originally posted this? Was it difficult to get appointed? I am in individual health insurance. Wondering about Anthem, Humana, UHC, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Back