Getting Part B Back After Nonpayment of Premium

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I have 2 such customers who are NOT on Social Security and failed to make payment. I told both of them to plea their case with SS to try to get reinstated. How successful are these attempts to reinstate?
One of them was NEW TO MEDICARE and claims to have never received the correspondence where she could pay. The other is an 86- year old widow who lives alone ( also NEW TO MEDICARE Part B) who was hospitalized for several weeks and did not send her payment in time. I encouraged her to find any claims with Dates of Service as "proof" of inability to forward her payment.
How likely is it that the SS spokes hole will help them?

It's going to be very challenging. However, the one in the hospital has a better chance. If it was within 60 days, Medicare may be lenient, but they do send ample letters to get you to pay. There really isn't an excuse for failure to pay.

Just did this with a client. If you are not helping them with this, there should be a organization in your community that will take on cases like this. Once, SS is taken care of, it take Medicare a while to get the information on the reinstatement. It took 6-8 weeks during AEP and it still was not cleared up by 2/14/16. Good luck

I had a client that we thought might have just missed the last day to pay. They were given almost 6 months from the 1st enrollment to make 1, then the 2nd quarterly payment. Client took payment for 6 mo. to SS office, where they gave a receipt, then mailed it in for her. Fortunately, all was well.
We would have been using an appeals form if the coverage would have lapsed, and SS can direct you where to download and where to submit.
Disclaimer, this was the procedure in place fall of 2015, likely the same, but call SS.

Back