Getting Under State Farms Skin.....

The issue I have here is that he does this all the time. State Farm is constantly running ads and mailings saying how much they can save you over XYZ carrier. I just happen to represent XYZ carrier!

The other agent was captive... he could only sell one product and that product happened to be overpriced. That doesn't make him a bad guy.

I take a different approach with my friendly competitors. I would post that I saved the guy $$$ but I would not call out SF, Farmers, etc. If you befriend those guys they can send you a lot of business that doesn't fit in their wheelhouse. I have had two $100k+ commercial accounts that I wrote in 2003 on the referral of a State Farm agent in my area. He has sent me dozens of commercial clients over the years because he knows I will not try to cross sell them.

I would tell him what I posted was factual, he was in fact paying $850 and he is now paying only $160. I seriously doubt the Snake Farm policy was coming down $700 when he turned 25. Sure it would not look as bad, but it is what it is. You did not lie, tell him to get bent!:laugh:

Yikes, that much in premium difference the first thought that runs through my mind is maybe this guy has something on his MVR that will take a day or two for underwriting to catch (acc/tix in other states usually). Maybe I'm just paranoid but I would have waited a day or two or had an underwriter double check your quote.

Since you are asking our opinions, even if you didn't put the company competing against, it is way unfair to compare and advertise 24 to 25 y/o quote since 25 is the magic number.

Business comes easier when you're known for your transparency and fairness instead of the one people warn to watch out for.

It does happen, though.

Against State Farm a client had a 359k replacement cost home HO3. I turned around and got him an HE7 (this is NC we're talking about here, it's a turbo HO5) with 440k RC and all the bells and whistles. State Farm was 1400/year, I was at $585.00. I had to call my underwriter to make sure I wasn't screwing that up, it was RIDICULOUS.

We were about 80 dollars a year higher on the auto though...

I knew my numbers were solid so that was not a worry. Keep in mind that not all carriers use 25 as the magic number. I cloned this quote but put the birthday as a year younger and my rates were $6 more a year. That's as transparent as I can be.

I personally wouldn't post on social media, but I love selling against SF. I have a client I earned 10 years ago when I replaced his $1.2 million 10-year level SF term policy, with a $2 million 20-year level term product (from an A+ rated carrier), and saved my client $100/year. In that 10 years my client bought exclusively from me several DI policies, LTC, given me his retirement planning, and I'm broker for his small group health insurance.

JeffM said:
I personally wouldn't post on social media, but I love selling against SF. I have a client I earned 10 years ago when I replaced his $1.2 million 10-year level SF term policy, with a $2 million 20-year level term product (from an A+ rated carrier), and saved my client $100/year. In that 10 years my client bought exclusively from me several DI policies, LTC, given me his retirement planning, and I'm broker for his small group health insurance.

State Farm has been very good for me too.

Latest posts

Back