Glad I found you!

Hello! My name is Sondra, but most people call me Rose. I'm a mom, a grandma, a widow, and a crazy pet lady. Currently I have four cat roommates, one little dog roommate named Sadie, and three chickens (they live outside.) I'm really grateful to be here, and I'm going to spend some time today learning from you all.

I decided to become a life insurance agent in November, and got my license in January. I took the training for FFL (please, no bashing) and am excited to get started! I should probably make a post elsewhere about my troubles getting started, but I need to pour it all out, so it's going here.

In 2015, I had what I thought was a pretty good life. I had a very good job with T-Mobile USA on their social media team; the pay was good and the benefits were awesome, but I was working A LOT. Then my husband took his own life. It was devastating, but I was grateful for one thing - I had made the choice to purchase the group life insurance benefit. This allowed me to buy a house, outright, and to quit my job. But that money was not endless, of course.

Seven years later, I was still a pretty broken person when I decided to get my stuff together and do something with myself. I have taken/am taking a course called "Freedom Session" and it is transforming the way I feel and think and want to live.

For the past many years, 6 in fact, I have had a relationship with a local church, and have been their office manager. I'm really good at the job, but it pays very little, is part-time, and I have financial goals I would like to reach. More importantly, I keep a different set of holidays (Holy Days) than most folks, and that being the case, I would like to have more control over how I spend my time. I really want to be my own boss, and this was supposed to be an avenue to that.

The first problem I have is that I can't get out from under my previous job. I know many would say "just quit" but I'm not comfortable doing that. At present, I'm literally the only person who knows how to do my job, and the other person who knew has died. I informed my employers in early March that they needed to replace me. I knew that I would need to stay until Easter because it's a lot of work for church ladies, but at this point, they don't have any prospects. I knew they were offering too little pay (they are paying me too little!) and they are asking too much of the new person. They had interviewed one person, but she was offered another job she wanted in the meantime, so she declined the offer. So here it is, almost May, and I am still spending the best part of my week at that job, 26 hours, and giving that job a huge amount of my emotional and mental energy. This means I am emotionally and mentally exhausted by the time I get home. I'm not 30 anymore where working two jobs is no biggy, and I also have a life with my kids, grandkids, and regular obligations like shopping and eating and showering and housekeeping. I advised the council president this week that she was either going to have to pay more or offer the job to someone under qualified and hope they rise to the standard. I am hopeful there will be a change by May. I had previous stated that I needed to take Thursdays off (I work Mon-Thur) but they "declined" to allow for that. I keep Sabbath, and so working Saturdays is absolutely not an option, so I basically have Friday and Sunday to sell life insurance. That is not working.

Second, my mentor is Zach, and he is on the east coast. I am on the west, so he can't exactly come to appointments with me, right? The FFL training I received was heavy on call training, light on product training, and so I don't feel like I have a strong grasp of what to offer when I get into the customer's home. Most of the YouTube training on these policies doesn't really talk about the policies, but more about how to sell the policies, which is only so helpful. Zach is a very motivated guy, and really very nice, and wants to help me, but when I mention this lack of product training, he says I should get into the customer's home first, get all the info filled out on their meds, age, and general financial status, and then tell my customer I'm going to call my "product consultant" to see what would best fit their needs. I feel like I need to KNOW what I'm going to be offering in general before I get into their homes. To complicate things, ALL of the official product trainings from the primary companies I work with happen during my day job hours, so I have been unable to attend them. I am unwilling to cheat my current employer by working this job on their hours.

Also, I can't get into the customer's homes. After finishing all the trainings, Zach advised me to pay for aged leads ($4 each) from the CRM, and to start calling them. So I did. My experience has been discouraging and frustrating. First, most people don't even pick up the phone. I try emailing, texting, calling - nothing. So, the next step is door knocking. I spent four hours doing this last Sunday (not my first effort.) One person answered the door, and the man wasn't there, and his mom didn't know for sure when he would be back. I left my card - no call back. One person wasn't home, so I left a note asking them to call me. They called me, but then insisted I was part of a prank, and hung up on me. At the final address where I stopped, the girl who answered the door said she had never even heard of that person. Those were the only actual human beings who answered their door. The few people who do pick up the phone insist they didn't fill out any request. When I say, "I understand. I forget things too..." and provide them with the many details they provided on the form, they double down and say someone stole their identity, or some other such nonsense. Many people just hang up on me. One guy made an appointment with me, then spent five minutes on his front porch telling me someone has hacked his information, and filled out all that stuff to harass him, but he doesn't know who. Le sigh. I even handed him his lead paper, which he reviewed, then handed back and said he didn't have the money for insurance and then didn't let me into the house.

Other highlights: two people gave me addresses for homeless shelters. No, I can't find them there. Three people gave addresses that don't exist or didn't include their apartment or space number. At least 12 of them have phone numbers that are no longer functional. Of the texting replies I actually received back, three of them asked me to stop texting them, and one ghosted me after finding out what I wanted when I sent them the pictures of the lead I printed. The one appointment I was able to make was with an 85 year old lady with major heart problems, and her husband, also 85, is a diabetic who recovered from cancer last year. One guy made an appointment with me, but when I came to the door shouted, "Now is not a good time, Rose!" and didn't open the door. My attempts to call him back have gone to voicemail.

So out of 75 leads, I spent $300+ and got no money back from it, not to mention the paper, gas, printer ink, and other expenses involved. I've also bought business cards, and ID card, and a shirt in an effort to look more professional. Honestly, just typing that makes me want to cry and makes me feel like a massive failure.

I am a widow on a very limited income. I'm willing to go into debt to get more leads, but I can't really afford to throw good money after bad. I don't know where to buy more recent leads for people who actually want to buy insurance. I don't know how to get leads I can afford, because I bring home about $1500 per month at my day job, and I won't enough after paying bills to pay for more leads. Zach gave me one lead company, which I jotted down but when I looked into it, I couldn't seem to find anything that actually told me how much it was going to cost me, and now I don't know where that was now, almost two months later.

But it's more than that. I also don't know how to get this product training I need before I leave my job, and I can't seem to fit life insurance around my day job very well. I literally don't know how to do this.

I'm not about to give up. I can't afford to do that either! I've already invested too much time, energy, and money getting licensed and trained. I NEED TO MAKE THIS WORK, and I literally can't figure out how. Zach is helpful, but he mostly talks over me, and isn't really "available" here on the west coast. I feel weird defecting to someone else, since I don't feel like I've given this my best effort, but I really need some help moving forward, and I'm not sure Zach can do that for me long distance. I did reach out to an FFL group by email here in Oregon, but they never returned my email.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do differently? Maybe just some encouragement would help, because I am starting to feel like failure is my ONLY option.

If you've read all the way to the bottom of this, thank you. It has helped me to get it all out. Any help anyone can provide would be useful. I'm going to make another cup of coffee, and cry a little. Thanks for letting me join.

278711503_5495328377145632_700994917967424895_n.jpg
Here's a picture of my sweet puppy to offset my depressing post.

~~Rose Treasure

Many years ago, when a person wanted to go into life insurance sales, they were given an aptitude test in hopes of finding if this was a good fit for their personality. I don't know if they are still part of the hiring process or now, but I always scored high numbers. In spite of that, I didn't do very well in life insurance sales for any number of reasons.

My career path took be toward a home office, salaried position where I was able to learn the business but also develop skills needed to sell the product.

Eventually I left the safety net of a salaried position and started down the road of straight commissions. It wasn't an easy transition and there were bumps in the road, but I stuck it out and figured a way to make it work.

One thing you might want to consider is a career aptitude tests . . . several are online . . . some more extensive than others . . . but it might help you decide on a direction. Here are a few that came up in search engines.

Career Quiz | The Princeton Review

Career Tests - Free Online Job Aptitude Tests

Career Test | The World's Most Powerful Career Test – CareerExplorer

Hello! My name is Sondra, but most people call me Rose. I'm a mom, a grandma, a widow, and a crazy pet lady. Currently I have four cat roommates, one little dog roommate named Sadie, and three chickens (they live outside.) I'm really grateful to be here, and I'm going to spend some time today learning from you all.

I decided to become a life insurance agent in November, and got my license in January. I took the training for FFL (please, no bashing) and am excited to get started! I should probably make a post elsewhere about my troubles getting started, but I need to pour it all out, so it's going here.

In 2015, I had what I thought was a pretty good life. I had a very good job with T-Mobile USA on their social media team; the pay was good and the benefits were awesome, but I was working A LOT. Then my husband took his own life. It was devastating, but I was grateful for one thing - I had made the choice to purchase the group life insurance benefit. This allowed me to buy a house, outright, and to quit my job. But that money was not endless, of course.

Seven years later, I was still a pretty broken person when I decided to get my stuff together and do something with myself. I have taken/am taking a course called "Freedom Session" and it is transforming the way I feel and think and want to live.

For the past many years, 6 in fact, I have had a relationship with a local church, and have been their office manager. I'm really good at the job, but it pays very little, is part-time, and I have financial goals I would like to reach. More importantly, I keep a different set of holidays (Holy Days) than most folks, and that being the case, I would like to have more control over how I spend my time. I really want to be my own boss, and this was supposed to be an avenue to that.

The first problem I have is that I can't get out from under my previous job. I know many would say "just quit" but I'm not comfortable doing that. At present, I'm literally the only person who knows how to do my job, and the other person who knew has died. I informed my employers in early March that they needed to replace me. I knew that I would need to stay until Easter because it's a lot of work for church ladies, but at this point, they don't have any prospects. I knew they were offering too little pay (they are paying me too little!) and they are asking too much of the new person. They had interviewed one person, but she was offered another job she wanted in the meantime, so she declined the offer. So here it is, almost May, and I am still spending the best part of my week at that job, 26 hours, and giving that job a huge amount of my emotional and mental energy. This means I am emotionally and mentally exhausted by the time I get home. I'm not 30 anymore where working two jobs is no biggy, and I also have a life with my kids, grandkids, and regular obligations like shopping and eating and showering and housekeeping. I advised the council president this week that she was either going to have to pay more or offer the job to someone under qualified and hope they rise to the standard. I am hopeful there will be a change by May. I had previous stated that I needed to take Thursdays off (I work Mon-Thur) but they "declined" to allow for that. I keep Sabbath, and so working Saturdays is absolutely not an option, so I basically have Friday and Sunday to sell life insurance. That is not working.

Second, my mentor is Zach, and he is on the east coast. I am on the west, so he can't exactly come to appointments with me, right? The FFL training I received was heavy on call training, light on product training, and so I don't feel like I have a strong grasp of what to offer when I get into the customer's home. Most of the YouTube training on these policies doesn't really talk about the policies, but more about how to sell the policies, which is only so helpful. Zach is a very motivated guy, and really very nice, and wants to help me, but when I mention this lack of product training, he says I should get into the customer's home first, get all the info filled out on their meds, age, and general financial status, and then tell my customer I'm going to call my "product consultant" to see what would best fit their needs. I feel like I need to KNOW what I'm going to be offering in general before I get into their homes. To complicate things, ALL of the official product trainings from the primary companies I work with happen during my day job hours, so I have been unable to attend them. I am unwilling to cheat my current employer by working this job on their hours.

Also, I can't get into the customer's homes. After finishing all the trainings, Zach advised me to pay for aged leads ($4 each) from the CRM, and to start calling them. So I did. My experience has been discouraging and frustrating. First, most people don't even pick up the phone. I try emailing, texting, calling - nothing. So, the next step is door knocking. I spent four hours doing this last Sunday (not my first effort.) One person answered the door, and the man wasn't there, and his mom didn't know for sure when he would be back. I left my card - no call back. One person wasn't home, so I left a note asking them to call me. They called me, but then insisted I was part of a prank, and hung up on me. At the final address where I stopped, the girl who answered the door said she had never even heard of that person. Those were the only actual human beings who answered their door. The few people who do pick up the phone insist they didn't fill out any request. When I say, "I understand. I forget things too..." and provide them with the many details they provided on the form, they double down and say someone stole their identity, or some other such nonsense. Many people just hang up on me. One guy made an appointment with me, then spent five minutes on his front porch telling me someone has hacked his information, and filled out all that stuff to harass him, but he doesn't know who. Le sigh. I even handed him his lead paper, which he reviewed, then handed back and said he didn't have the money for insurance and then didn't let me into the house.

Other highlights: two people gave me addresses for homeless shelters. No, I can't find them there. Three people gave addresses that don't exist or didn't include their apartment or space number. At least 12 of them have phone numbers that are no longer functional. Of the texting replies I actually received back, three of them asked me to stop texting them, and one ghosted me after finding out what I wanted when I sent them the pictures of the lead I printed. The one appointment I was able to make was with an 85 year old lady with major heart problems, and her husband, also 85, is a diabetic who recovered from cancer last year. One guy made an appointment with me, but when I came to the door shouted, "Now is not a good time, Rose!" and didn't open the door. My attempts to call him back have gone to voicemail.

So out of 75 leads, I spent $300+ and got no money back from it, not to mention the paper, gas, printer ink, and other expenses involved. I've also bought business cards, and ID card, and a shirt in an effort to look more professional. Honestly, just typing that makes me want to cry and makes me feel like a massive failure.

I am a widow on a very limited income. I'm willing to go into debt to get more leads, but I can't really afford to throw good money after bad. I don't know where to buy more recent leads for people who actually want to buy insurance. I don't know how to get leads I can afford, because I bring home about $1500 per month at my day job, and I won't enough after paying bills to pay for more leads. Zach gave me one lead company, which I jotted down but when I looked into it, I couldn't seem to find anything that actually told me how much it was going to cost me, and now I don't know where that was now, almost two months later.

But it's more than that. I also don't know how to get this product training I need before I leave my job, and I can't seem to fit life insurance around my day job very well. I literally don't know how to do this.

I'm not about to give up. I can't afford to do that either! I've already invested too much time, energy, and money getting licensed and trained. I NEED TO MAKE THIS WORK, and I literally can't figure out how. Zach is helpful, but he mostly talks over me, and isn't really "available" here on the west coast. I feel weird defecting to someone else, since I don't feel like I've given this my best effort, but I really need some help moving forward, and I'm not sure Zach can do that for me long distance. I did reach out to an FFL group by email here in Oregon, but they never returned my email.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do differently? Maybe just some encouragement would help, because I am starting to feel like failure is my ONLY option.

If you've read all the way to the bottom of this, thank you. It has helped me to get it all out. Any help anyone can provide would be useful. I'm going to make another cup of coffee, and cry a little. Thanks for letting me join.

278711503_5495328377145632_700994917967424895_n.jpg
Here's a picture of my sweet puppy to offset my depressing post.

~~Rose Treasure
I'd look for another FMO, as FFL isn't getting the job done for you.

FE product knowledge isn't complicated. There are 4 types of plans you can sell. Level, Graded, Modified and Guaranteed Issue.

Underwriting is hard for a new person to learn. This tool will do that for you and tell you which plans you can write for each person based on their health and quote the premiums. https://insurancetoolkits.com/

Now you need someone to train you to get in front of people. Prospecting is the most important part, and often the hardest part of sales.

Good luck.

Last edited:
How many LEADS are right there in your congregation? Ask a few friends to listen to your pitch and grade you on your competency. You might get some business from your FREE LEADS.

I would caution you from "fishing in your own pond". I tell people at my church what I do, but never pursue them, they must first reach out to me. Some would not agree with this advice, but I don't go to church to get sales, or the name that might be attached to me if I did.

Many years ago, when a person wanted to go into life insurance sales, they were given an aptitude test in hopes of finding if this was a good fit for their personality.

This would be a great place to start! Many people fall for the "I just want to help people out" philosophy that this far too often stirred into the recruiting pot. As humanitarian and ministry driven as this might sound, you now are finding the real life experience may not be the painted picture you may have been sold. This shows your heart (which I appreciate) but it does not show you have the skill set for major and I mean major rejection that this profession provides.

As I have mentioned before on the forum, this is a lonely profession, filled with disappointment and daily rejection.

I am hearing desperation in your post. The kind that drives you to success or the the kind that causes a short carrier in this profession. You need a personal mentor. I know you may believe the issues you are having are lead related, but that is not the case. I personally wonder how many presentations you have done? A very important question.

I feel weird defecting to someone else

Your not there for them... they are there for you.

I'm going to make another cup of coffee, and cry a little.

You are person after my own heart. Coffee is some of the best medication I have ever taken... and yes a good cry has an amazing effect. The number of clients that have cried while we talked over the years would amaze you. As I have gotten older, I see the emotional benefits of just being there.

@Rose Treasure I could go on and on, but I will stop here for the moment. A word about my experience. I have done what few have done. I knocked on cold doors straight down a street to sale cancer insurance with no names at the beginning of my insurance carrier. Calloused knuckles and unpaid bills are what I ate each day, some may say they are tough as nails, me... well that's enough about me.

The advice I would give you is only as good as you are willing to listen. You need a mentor who will train in person, and give you an honest report on your abilities as they apply to this profession. I don't see a path forward for you with anything less. Very few people can do this profession well, very few.

Now for some encouragement: "His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches you."

Your story is one of strength and redemption. Our trials in life seek to make a better or bitter, a choice we must make. I've seen many wonderful poor people in my life who have encouraged me and lifted me up, and I've seen very successful agents in this business who I would never want my children to follow their life example. Your story is not done, your final chapter is not written. What may seem like a door closing here may very well be another opening somewhere else.

Don't loose heart and keep the faith.

P.S. You can always PM me if you feel I can be of further help.

I would caution you from "fishing in your own pond". I tell people at my church what I do, but never pursue them, they must first reach out to me.

Attaboy . . . you are so right about chasing folks, especially in places of worship or any place where you congregate with friends.

Years ago a friend in his 50's lost the only job he had . . . stumbled around for a few months, then hooked up with the MLM insurance agency. Chased after so many of the folks at church that no one would talk to him, even in social situations.

The rest of your advice is rock solid.

Insurance can be a ministry, even a helping profession . . . but it can also chew you up and spit you out.

I tried 3 or 4x to leave the corporate world and strike out on my own only to discover I wa not yet ready . . . financially or otherwise. Low gunwales can be a tremendous motivation but also causes you to make mistakes. People can be good at reading motivations, and too often an agent desperate to make a sale sends out signals that will turn off a prospect.

I had to teach myself to be calm and laid back, even when bills were coming in and no money in the bank.

Production goals did not work for me . . . so I had daily and weekly ACTIVITY goals. I knew that X number of calls would yield Y number of proposals/quotes which would result in Z number of sales.

I could control the number of calls but not the number of proposals . . . at least until I got better at screening prospects. Focus on the part I could control (prospecting activity) and the rest would follow.

Last edited:
I would caution you from "fishing in your own pond". I tell people at my church what I do, but never pursue them, they must first reach out to me. Some would not agree with this advice, but I don't go to church to get sales, or the name that might be attached to me if I did.

This would be a great place to start! Many people fall for the "I just want to help people out" philosophy that this far too often stirred into the recruiting pot. As humanitarian and ministry driven as this might sound, you now are finding the real life experience may not be the painted picture you may have been sold. This shows your heart (which I appreciate) but it does not show you have the skill set for major and I mean major rejection that this profession provides.

As I have mentioned before on the forum, this is a lonely profession, filled with disappointment and daily rejection.

I am hearing desperation in your post. The kind that drives you to success or the the kind that causes a short carrier in this profession. You need a personal mentor. I know you may believe the issues you are having are lead related, but that is not the case. I personally wonder how many presentations you have done? A very important question.

Your not there for them... they are there for you.

You are person after my own heart. Coffee is some of the best medication I have ever taken... and yes a good cry has an amazing effect. The number of clients that have cried while we talked over the years would amaze you. As I have gotten older, I see the emotional benefits of just being there.

@Rose Treasure I could go on and on, but I will stop here for the moment. A word about my experience. I have done what few have done. I knocked on cold doors straight down a street to sale cancer insurance with no names at the beginning of my insurance carrier. Calloused knuckles and unpaid bills are what I ate each day, some may say they are tough as nails, me... well that's enough about me.

The advice I would give you is only as good as you are willing to listen. You need a mentor who will train in person, and give you an honest report on your abilities as they apply to this profession. I don't see a path forward for you with anything less. Very few people can do this profession well, very few.

Now for some encouragement: "His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches you."

Your story is one of strength and redemption. Our trials in life seek to make a better or bitter, a choice we must make. I've seen many wonderful poor people in my life who have encouraged me and lifted me up, and I've seen very successful agents in this business who I would never want my children to follow their life example. Your story is not done, your final chapter is not written. What may seem like a door closing here may very well be another opening somewhere else.

Don't loose heart and keep the faith.

P.S. You can always PM me if you feel I can be of further help.
Some of the best critics of a presentation are people you trust. I did not say chase the congregation. I said to practice in front of people you love and trust so you dont screw up in front of someone you dont know. You can still gain business from those right around you

How many LEADS are right there in your congregation? Ask a few friends to listen to your pitch and grade you on your competency. You might get some business from your FREE LEADS.

I kinda disagree with this..

Look, you can do whatever you want (speaking to OP) but, for me, it's always a separation between work and personal life. Nothing is more likely to cause heartache than pitching (even on the sly) to friends and family.

IMO (and take it with a grain of salt) let them organically know what you do. If your church as a mailing list or newsletter, find out if they have an announcements section and post about a career change. No sale pitch. Just make them aware.

Then, just jump on board with your career with non-personal life leads. It's easier to burn through someone you don't know than trying to burn through people you don't. I don't pitch to former co-workers, family, or friends.

They come to me when they have questions or want to talk. It means you can have a more relaxed discussion because they feel like they're in the power position (but really you are because you're the expert they're talking to). Nothing turns people off than knowing you for years and then working with you in a business setting. That shift in interaction will damage both relationships.

That's my opinion, it's worth as much as you paid to join this forum.

I only just started offering Term to my Medicare clients, so I can't help you much in way of actual life sales advise.. However, if you're looking for direct and honest feedback, I'm happy to offer assistance.

My first thought on this post was TLDR.

But, on second thouht your pup caught my eye. I really wish you the best of luck in your endeavours.

I would be super careful going into debt to buy leads. But I would also be super careful working your friends over.

@Travis Price and I are of the same thinking here:
It's easier to burn through someone you don't know than trying to burn through people you don't. I don't pitch to former co-workers, family, or friends.
They come to me when they have questions or want to talk.

Additionally I would not suggest you buy leads unless you are fully committed to working them... 8, 10, 12 contacts.

Back