Glad I found you!

Additionally I would not suggest you buy leads unless you are fully committed to working them... 8, 10, 12 contacts.

Unfortunately, I agree. I don't want to be disrespectful to people that buy leads; but most of them are crap and your basically playing the part of a beggar (that's my snobby inbound mentality showing ;)). IF I were you (op) and you want to work leads, I'd work DBGA. There are others, but I actually have interacted with their system.. They have decent priced leads, a great support structure, and you own your book.

I'd do it for Medicare, but their structure is a bit stifling for me... They'll make you successful though if you want to focus 100% on insurance sales.

Rose,

You don't seem to be talking very much about your presentation, but more of the fact that you don't know the products well enough to be comfortable presenting any company.

All of those "Product Training" sessions that the companies have are usually recorded as well, so you can go on their website and search for those.

Have you gone to the different company's websites and downloaded all the materials from them, such as, Underwriting guides, Applications, Field Guides, etc? If so, have you read them?

I ask the question above because I find that most agents talking about not knowing the products have not bothered to do this. You may have a trainer, but ultimately it will fall on you. You can learn many things on your own, so don't rely on your trainer for everything.

You have also found a great place to learn!

Now, here's one other thing that you probably don't realize. These IMOs should be working for you, not the other way around. Secondly, you are more than likely on a lower commission level that you should be. If you're not on 115%-120% for most of your FE contracts, then you're getting the shaft. Look elsewhere!

There are many here on the forum that can help.

Rose,

You don't seem to be talking very much about your presentation, but more of the fact that you don't know the products well enough to be comfortable presenting any company.

All of those "Product Training" sessions that the companies have are usually recorded as well, so you can go on their website and search for those.

Have you gone to the different company's websites and downloaded all the materials from them, such as, Underwriting guides, Applications, Field Guides, etc? If so, have you read them?

I ask the question above because I find that most agents talking about not knowing the products have not bothered to do this. You may have a trainer, but ultimately it will fall on you. You can learn many things on your own, so don't rely on your trainer for everything.

You have also found a great place to learn!

Now, here's one other thing that you probably don't realize. These IMOs should be working for you, not the other way around. Secondly, you are more than likely on a lower commission level that you should be. If you're not on 115%-120% for most of your FE contracts, then you're getting the shaft. Look elsewhere!

There are many here on the forum that can help.

Hey Todd,

Does the IMO do cold calls for me? Because you need to put some work in.

My career path took be toward a home office, salaried position where I was able to learn the business but also develop skills needed to sell the product.

Eventually I left the safety net of a salaried position and started down the road of straight commissions. It wasn't an easy transition and there were bumps in the road, but I stuck it out and figured a way to make it work.

Thank you for your reply. If I were to take a career aptitude test, which I have done, it always leads me around to being an office administrator, which I am no longer interested in doing. I became a life insurance agent because I believe I can learn anything, and successfully do any job I want to do, because persistence, tenacity, and a willingness to learn always wins in the end.

I appreciate what you're saying about a salaried position, and I have looked into that. I have even spoken with a sales leader at a local IMO and she is willing to take me under her wing, but I would rather take the opportunity to fail by myself first. Who knows, maybe I'll succeed! :D Either way, I appreciate your taking the time to respond and I will take your thoughts under advisement.

How many LEADS are right there in your congregation? Ask a few friends to listen to your pitch and grade you on your competency. You might get some business from your FREE LEADS.
I'm disinclined to tap into this congregation. I'm not a member of the church, just the office lady, and I don't interact with many of them directly. The ones I do know have already smiled and said, "I already have insurance." It's an elderly bunch. :) I have let my family, friends, and colleagues know that I am swapping up careers, and will be providing some quotes for some people soon, and I will remember to poke them when I see them. Thank you!

I'd look for another FMO, as FFL isn't getting the job done for you.

FE product knowledge isn't complicated. There are 4 types of plans you can sell. Level, Graded, Modified and Guaranteed Issue.

Underwriting is hard for a new person to learn. This tool will do that for you and tell you which plans you can write for each person based on their health and quote the premiums. https://insurancetoolkits.com/

Now you need someone to train you to get in front of people. Prospecting is the most important part, and often the hardest part of sales.

Good luck.
Thanks! This is really a very helpful reply. I don't know if FFL isn't getting it done for me, because I can honestly say I haven't given it my best effort. I don't know how to do this part-time and I am beginning to believe I can't, so until I quit my day job, I haven't been doing much at all the past few weeks.

I have recently begun doing exactly as you say! I've been going to the provider sites, and downloading their materials, and have created a spreadsheet to sort of do an instant comparison (and building it myself will make it more firm in my mind.) It's gratifying to know I am doing something right! I will keep on that path, and I will look into the tool you provided, which honestly, was something I was thinking needed doing. ;)

Thanks again!

NED.gif

Now for some encouragement: "His eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches you."

Your story is one of strength and redemption. Our trials in life seek to make a better or bitter, a choice we must make. I've seen many wonderful poor people in my life who have encouraged me and lifted me up, and I've seen very successful agents in this business who I would never want my children to follow their life example. Your story is not done, your final chapter is not written. What may seem like a door closing here may very well be another opening somewhere else.

Don't loose heart and keep the faith.

P.S. You can always PM me if you feel I can be of further help.

Thank you. I needed the encouragement. Loneliness and rejection I can take. I can even take a certain level of failure, but I like to know I'm at least moving the right way.

I am leaning toward a mentor that can train me in person. I think that may actually be the biggest obstacle in front of me is the lack of contact between myself and my mentor. I believe that I can succeed, and I am going to not give up. I believe I need to utilize him more, call him more actively, seek out his advice, and have a pen and paper handy when we chat. I believe my so far lack of success has as much to do with my own effort level as it does anything else. Thanks for your help. I may reach out about that IM. :0)

Unfortunately, I agree. I don't want to be disrespectful to people that buy leads; but most of them are crap and your basically playing the part of a beggar (that's my snobby inbound mentality showing ;)). IF I were you (op) and you want to work leads, I'd work DBGA. There are others, but I actually have interacted with their system.. They have decent priced leads, a great support structure, and you own your book.

I'd do it for Medicare, but their structure is a bit stifling for me... They'll make you successful though if you want to focus 100% on insurance sales.

What is DBGA?

Back