GoodRx - What's the catch?

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
I think I'm way behind. I probably should have started recommending GoodRx to my clients a long time ago.

Before I do, am I missing something?

What's the catch?

I think I'm way behind. I probably should have started recommending GoodRx to my clients a long time ago.

Before I do, am I missing something?

What's the catch?

Haven't seen one myself. Used it before and recommended it before to clients while working in Humana's call center and as a supe for Anthem BCBS in their 'retention' department. Never had an issue. The last time, specifically, was when a guy in Arizona had no coverage for a testosterone cream (I think?!?!?) that Anthem didn't cover...and I told the agent to check Good RX. Turned out that the Good RX price at his pharmacy was within pocket change of his copay he had with his prior insurer so he kept the plan and was quite happy.

It can help them not only with the cost up front, but can help keep the coverage gap at bay too.

Blink Health is good too, but not accepted as widely. I would tell them to use Good RX all day and twice on Sundays when it's a proper fix.

No catch its a discount, Works very well with some meds, not with others

I give it out all the time I managed expectations (letting them know not every drug has good discounts) and have had no complaints in 4 years suggesting it

No catch its a discount, Works very well with some meds, not with others

I give it out all the time I managed expectations (letting them know not every drug has good discounts) and have had no complaints in 4 years suggesting it

That's an excellent point. It's a fix for specific situations. Not quite a blanket solution at all...I would always say pull up the Rx first on Good Rx and run it by them to see how they accept the pricing. If it's within 5-10% of what they usually pay, then you usually don't get any static. Orrrrr of course if they just need to get that one medication out the mix to avoid the donut hole, they might not care if it's twice their usual co-pay.

For people who are neck deep in LEP's and still want an MA plan...it can work just as well as the low pricing generics and insulin Wal Mart offers. Just have to set those expectations like Vic said.

Caveat, not an agent. (However I have personally used both suggestions below.)

Since the video above mentioned Canadian pharmacies as another option besides discount cards.

Pharmacychecker.com is a place you can check a drug price on multiple Canadian pharmacies:
Drug Price Comparisons & Online Pharmacy Safety | PharmacyChecker.com

There is a US company called progressiverx that will also allow you to order overseas prescriptions:
ProgressiveRx

Many of your clients will not be comfortable with overseas options, but for those that are, I find those two sites to be useful resources.

I'd love it if you could also check out my site at www.rxgo.com, we are very similar and offer some very competitive discounts on many medications. I'd also be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has about how services like these work.

Back