GoodRx - What's the catch?

I think I'm way behind. I probably should have started recommending GoodRx to my clients a long time ago.

Before I do, am I missing something?

What's the catch?
I will never use these sites again ..they are mining for data...emsils etc. . They are starting to solict your clients to sign up for plans.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-064330_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-064330_Messages.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 19
GoodRx to Be Barred From Sharing Health Data for Ads Under Proposed FTC Settlement

[EXTERNAL LINK] - GoodRx to Be Barred From Sharing Health Data for Ads Under Proposed FTC Settlement – NBC10 Philadelphia

The FTC alleged GoodRx shared personal health information, including user prescription medications and personal health conditions, with companies like Facebook, Google and Criteo since at least 2017, despite promises not to provide user data to advertisers or third parties. The agency also claims GoodRx used personal health data to target its users with personalized ads on Facebook and Instagram. For example, according to the FTC, GoodRx in 2019 uploaded to Facebook a list of information from users, who purchased certain medications, in order to target them with ads.

GoodRx to Be Barred From Sharing Health Data for Ads Under Proposed FTC Settlement

[EXTERNAL LINK] - GoodRx to Be Barred From Sharing Health Data for Ads Under Proposed FTC Settlement – NBC10 Philadelphia

The FTC alleged GoodRx shared personal health information, including user prescription medications and personal health conditions, with companies like Facebook, Google and Criteo since at least 2017, despite promises not to provide user data to advertisers or third parties. The agency also claims GoodRx used personal health data to target its users with personalized ads on Facebook and Instagram. For example, according to the FTC, GoodRx in 2019 uploaded to Facebook a list of information from users, who purchased certain medications, in order to target them with ads.

Is this not a massive HIPAA breach?

Is this not a massive HIPAA breach?

I am not defending this practice, but there is an incredible amount of personal data scraped from sites and fed to marketers and search engines . . . much of which is marginally legal.

In this case, what is likely is this. Data scraped and sold to FB, Google, etc. probably stops short of full disclosure under HIPAA definitions. As an example,

John Doe, johndoe @ gmail dot com, visited good rx dot com.

Is this a HIPPA violation? Maybe, but I don't think so.

Does this explain why John Doe suddenly is seeing popup ads and emails about low price prescription meds? Most likely.

All the big websites (and even smaller ones) have tracking built in, allowing them to scrape data, using for their own advertising sales, and/or sell it to other marketers.

If you want to MINIMIZE tracking, always sign out of your Google account (or other preferred search engine) and FB account (or other social media) before surfing for almost anything.

Back