Grandfathered BCBS plan discontinued, new offer major increase

chronic arthritis pain is something different people choose to deal with in different ways. He is choosing a route that a lot of us buried in the city and 10 minutes from a doctor and pharmacy would not choose to take. He is keeping his senses to enjoy his livestock and ranch.

He indicated the medical professionals said there was nothing to be done for the cysts. I suspect if there is some surgical option, it would come with significant risk of possibly immobilizing his hand and/or wrist which would destroy his ability to ranch and handle cattle.

He's a grown up, those are his choices, and they should be respected. He's looking for the best "going forward" medical insurance option for his life lived within those parameters. Based on what he said, short of an accident or totally unknown and unticipated health issue, I don't see him using any significant level of medical care for at least the next two years.

Admidittly, I did not catch the, "more than a little bit of pain" which probably means he may need services in the next 12 months for it. I thought he said it was just a little bit of pain and that they had determined there was nothing to be done. Interpreted as they knew what was causing the pain (cysts), he had had the surgery and wasn't willing to take meds (that would be a UW issue).

One word dramatically changes what would be advisable. Clearly, by my misread...but also could easily be typo. LIke I originally said, he needs to have an in-depth conversation with someone.

PS. Fixed indemnity medical paired with STM is client friendly. Besides helping with OOP costs, if their STM expiration date does not line up with 1/1 and they since have a condition that they can't get approved for STM have had to wait for ACA OE, the indemnity plan will at least give them some coverage in the mean time.

The guy is having pain issues, had surgery within the past year, has arthritis and has the option of getting full coverage with a compliant plan.

According to a generic NE Marketplace rate for 2020, there are Gold plans in the $600-$700 range.

I couldn't imagine ever recommending that this prospect consider anything other than a Marketplace plan given his medical history and ACA plan availability.

And I noticed that the non-agent has decided that the OP is unlikely to need health care for the next couple of years. I guess his next career will be with US Health Advisors, they need more people like him.

Maybe everyone who hasn't been sick enough for the past 6 months to have surgery or need hospitalization should just not bother with any insurance, after all, they 'probably won't use it', what a concept. This must be fake news, then: This is the real reason most Americans file for bankruptcy

And so many people with life insurance aren't likely to use it either, drop all of those policies too and save the premium.

Last edited:
I'll miss some that I should have quoted. And I'm going to miss replying to everything, but everything is being read and will be followed up on.

@just a guy may have already left the room. Hasn't been back since 6:04AM today. He might not benefit from all this wisdom and friendly discourse regarding options.

Plus Last Dollar has offered his insights which will probably further confuse the issue.
Yes, sorry, I don't stop much during the day. There are no hours, and I sometimes go a few days without looking on the internet (sometimes I read, but I'm not in the ...mood to interact). A lot of the time I don't have the phone along (doesn't work in out buildings, other dead spots all over the place out and about, annoying to carry it, fear of breaking it (though it's a cheap one), not putting antennas everywhere). Even if I have time, I often don't mess with it. Until one year ago I didn't have access to unlimited internet in the house (through cellular, tower is 13 miles away, no cable or dsl ever), was always budgeting what I do, still not used to being able to do everything....

Again, remember I am neither an insurance agent or a tax preparer. (and note: I am on medicare-my wife is not.)

Some additional comments I thought of.

I tried to look for some brochures this morning. I found something for bright health (another 2020 option you will have) but (as just a consumer) I apparently can't see a 2020 Medica brochure until tomorrow.

One thing I remembered last night about the ACA plans, If you do choose to go with an ACA plan and your income allows you to qualify for tax subsidies, you will need to have your enrollment go through the exchange to be able to qualify for the tax benefits. I haven't the knowledge to advise you on that, you need to discuss that with your tax preparer and ins agent.

I also found something else you can check out.

This happened in Kansas:
Kansas to let Farm Bureau health coverage avoid ACA rules

With that concept as a search suggestion, I found this older article in regard to NE:
Nebraska Farm Bureau Works to Lower Health Costs for Farmers and Ranchers; Unveils New Large Group Association Health Plan

If that project is still in effect for 2020, perhaps it would help you.
I saw the new company coming for the ACA, so I'll see what that is. I saw an offering for COOP members. I have purchased stuff from one of the qualified coops, have received dividend checks years ago, but I have not done anything with them in some time, and I don't know if that's still considered a member.... I know Farm Bureau members got like a 5% discount on something, what, I don't know.

If you'd have read his post(s) carefully, you'd know that he is a NE rancher and see that he looks in during the early morning. I know very little about cattle, but I do know they can be demanding and it hurts when they step on your feet. ( I also know that city boys stay away from the bulls and leave those to folks who know what they are doing. )
You don't truly know cattle until you're elbow deep.... Also, -20 with blizzard conditions can be a bonding experience. Lost the neighbor while they were working cattle. Unless you're around them, reading about them or seeing some probable inaccuracies on the news doesn't give you much of a picture.

A little more on the health stuff, did an overview I guess. "continuing pain", hands, feet. Figuring it's the arthritis (feet weren't scanned, but fair assumption I'd think...). After they checked the hand MRI, by my description they wanted to check my spine to make sure I didn't have something ~pinching or whatever. Just found more arthritis, and a couple moderate bulges. The one on the spine found empty sella. So, the doctor suggested he'd like a brain scan, since the spine scan only showed half of that (possible tumors and to get a better look). That showed nothing else. Blood tests were ran to see if there were any issues with that, they were fine.

Ongoing. Pain is a fair bit, and is annoying, but no, not doing anything with it. Hand/cysts, he said if it gets to where it's bad enough, they can remove a bone from there, but not soon. The hand is weird, I can use it, but they press when I do, does cause some issues, but again, not doing anything. My aunt had that bone removed ages ago, she said it just made it stiffer. I've got some pain where he did the surgery, one is by an elbow, it looks a bit like there's muscle missing, kind of a dip (another doctor commented about the muscle missing, my guess is it pulled apart). Dr. that did the surgery gave me a shot there right away because I complained, it aches and pulls a little weird. But again, not doing anything.

I know I didn't reply to everything, and I may not more for a while. Responses are appreciated, and I am/will follow up with everything I see. I have a lot of things going on besides this. The marketplace opens tomorrow so I can see new plans (I think they said the premiums went down a little actually). If putting in a hundred or two extra would get something acceptable for now, I could live with that, not happily, but I could. But I will look at the other stuff first. I will wait until next week when BCBS sends the letter, and I may talk to them some to see what they base the pricing on, if anything other than all the scans, in case some detail is missing. And, I think it would be a good idea to speak to my Dr., pretty sure he'd hear about everything there too. And I've got family that works at the hospital.

Thanks.

I wouldn't touch your policy unless you did ACA. And you wont have money left for a 40k cancer policy paying huge commissions.

Ive decided I'm gonna go uninsured from nov 5th thru dec 5th as I have no hospital visits planned, LD said so.

...... A little more on the health stuff, did an overview I guess. "continuing pain", hands, feet. Figuring it's the arthritis (feet weren't scanned, but fair assumption I'd think...). ......

Ongoing. Pain is a fair bit, and is annoying, but no, not doing anything with it.

Feet, yes. would recommend you defer getting it in your toes as long as possible.

I admire your stance on medication and suspect your pain levels are higher than mine.

I have not been able to adapt to not having any medication, but I sure appreciate your concern. After my last round of surgery, I stopped taking the pain meds, then 2-3 days later I started taking them again for a few days, "just to use up some leftovers". I did get stopped again, but it was around a year before I suddenly realized one day that I had "gotten through it" and was no longer dealing with the problem of "wanting another pill". Not looking forward to the next round of surgery or kidney stones for that reason.

I use some milder meds to cut the arthritis pain a bit.

You don't truly know cattle until you're elbow deep....

.....one is by an elbow, it looks a bit like there's muscle missing, kind of a dip (another doctor commented about the muscle missing, my guess is it pulled apart).

There you go. Cause and effect. :D

Re pain:

I have found the book "break through pain" by shinzen young useful.

Have been intending to read "the Pain Chronicles" by Melanie Thernstrom, but not gotten around to it.

They may both be available cheaply on ebay.

https://www.medica.com/-/media/docu...hash=533173E61DE41550D719CA6B25B4A5A949F42B3A

There's the 2020 on-exchange Medica brochure. The KS equivalent of Medica Insure Bronze HSA is what I have recommended to my wife for prior years because of the way BCBS splits KS and the KC Metro area.

If the Medica plans are less expensive than the Bright plans, that might be another point in their favor. You will have to look at the exchange to see pricing.

(Looks like there are more options this year. May have to rethink for 2020, don't know yet.)

Last edited:
You’re not going to find your plan anywhere near that premium anymore. I’m dreading the day that my grandfathered plan ends.
if it does, I doubt I’ll look at a cost sharing plan. I don’t trust them.
I would probably look at a short term medical plan, good for 3 years or just a bronze ACA plan. I’m 39, single no kids.

Chazm. is there a good place to find any companies selling 2 or 3 year plans in my state [missouri and kansas]. I cannot locate any. thanks

Back